Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 06:29:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] BitCoinJ v0.1, a client-mode implementation in Java  (Read 19111 times)
chromicant

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 08:58:13 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2011, 09:53:01 PM by chromicant

Thank you [mike] for this! Great work!

I'm browsing the code right now... You implemented all the crypto stuff on your own?? Wow... is bitcoin choice of cryptographic functions so particular that you couldn't find no Java library for it? Anyway, all my respects to you, sir! All those numbers and binary operations make me dizzy just to look at....

It's Bouncy Castle. If you want some crypto, and want it in Java...it's where I'd start.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 09:52:16 PM

The code under the bouncycastle package is just a renamed version of the lightweight bouncy castle library, so no, I didn't implement all that myself. It's renamed to avoid conflicts on Android.

It's only the stuff under the com.google.bitcoin package that is new.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 08:58:03 AM

Are there any python clients out there that are fully functional though?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 09:05:15 AM

thanks Mike!

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
dsg

Activity: 37
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 10:16:35 AM

Are there any python clients out there that are fully functional though?

There are several implementations of the network node code, but to my knowledge none implementing wallet handling. If anyone knows better, please let me know.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 01:20:51 PM

Just a thank you for choosing Bitcoin for your 20% project. I hope Google sees the possibilities also.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
hogofwar

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 06:34:58 PM

Just to make sure, is it supposed to need the official bitcoin client running when running the example to download blocks?
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 11:38:19 AM

The PingService example uses localhost so yes, it expects a local C++ node running.

You can point it at some other node if you like, for instance one of the nodes on the wiki fallback page. I haven't written the code to discover new nodes, record their addresses etc yet, so you have to provide it with an IP address to start with.
alkor

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 10:16:21 PM

Are there any plans to add a GUI to bitcoinj so that we ordinary mortals can test it as a replacement for the official Bitcoin client?
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 07:28:14 AM

Maybe later. For now there is plenty of work to do in supporting the needs of Goonies Android client.

I'm not sure if it'd be better to build a new GUI on top of BitCoinJ and compete with the C++ client directly, or just finish implementing client mode in Satoshis code and continue recommending that to new users.

My gut feeling is that a really well done client-mode in the C++ node would be better for now, because it could theoretically start out in client mode and then upgrade itself to a supernode (with a full copy of the chain) if it detected it had sufficient spare computing power and inbound connectivity. This would be best for the networks health as it'd ensure a constant supply of nodes that are verifying transactions properly. If most users ended up on an alternative BitCoinJ based client, that wouldn't happen.

But it's also a lot more work which right now nobody is doing. And I think we all accept/hope that in the future, people who just want to buy and sell things won't be able to run supernodes anyway because the transaction rate will be high enough that it'll become a major burden. Only miners and the biggest/more sophisticated merchants will do it. In that case having a One True Client that switches between modes might just become a liability as people with good computers install it and then a few days later wonder why their hard disk is constantly thrashing and they see giant spikes in CPU usage from this simple bit of payments software.

Another factor is that the burden of maintaining cross platform GUI code is pretty high. Satoshis code is lacking a lot of simple features (like recurring payments) that aren't hard to do, but nobody does them because working with wxWidgets is painful and compiling on all 3 supported platforms especially awkward. A Java SWT/Swing based client would be open to more developers, and you could make a change on one platform that runs on others you may not have access to with a reasonable degree of confidence.

On the other hand Java desktop apps have a reputation for sucking, partly because historically Swing and the JVM were very bad at doing GUIs, partly because Java is a resource pig and partly because Oracles JRE is annoying as hell and constantly bugs you to upgrade.

So there are pros and cons, I haven't thought about it much beyond that.
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 07:35:56 AM

+1 to what [mike] said, from this dev

(this is 'jgarzik', posting under a new nick)

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 05:36:55 PM

[mike], great job. Since it's Java and you hinted the code is Android compatible -- is there a plan to roll out a mobile client?  -- not necessarily a p2p client though -- That is one thing I am eager to see. 
bitcool
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 06:40:19 PM

[mike], great job. Since it's Java and you hinted the code is Android compatible -- is there a plan to roll out a mobile client?  -- not necessarily a p2p client though -- That is one thing I am eager to see.  
Never mind, just read the project home, it says:

"The project aims to be easier to understand than the C++ implementation, and be suitable for usage on constrained devices such as mobile phones."

"BitCoinJ implements (or rather, will implement) the "simplified payment verification" mode of Satoshis paper. It does not store a full copy of the block chain, rather, it stores what it needs in order to verify transactions with the aid of an untrusted peer node."

This is great if it can be achieved on mobile devices with good performance, I have some doubt though.
bitcool
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 09:11:04 PM

[mike], great job. Since it's Java and you hinted the code is Android compatible -- is there a plan to roll out a mobile client?  -- not necessarily a p2p client though -- That is one thing I am eager to see.  
Never mind, just read the project home, it says:

"The project aims to be easier to understand than the C++ implementation, and be suitable for usage on constrained devices such as mobile phones."

"BitCoinJ implements (or rather, will implement) the "simplified payment verification" mode of Satoshis paper. It does not store a full copy of the block chain, rather, it stores what it needs in order to verify transactions with the aid of an untrusted peer node."

This is great if it can be achieved on mobile devices with good performance, I have some doubt though.

EDIT: just read tcatm's Javascript UI (http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2673.0), it would be nice if some exchange like mtgox mybitcoin provide the (shared) server so users don't need to run js-remote themselves.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 05:27:04 AM

What is "Goonies android client"?  I was just about to take your java implementation and port it to android.  Is someone else already working on this?

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 06:45:07 AM

See here:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4384.0
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 03:09:40 PM

Is it possible to create a Peer without a Wallet? It seems like you need a Wallet to create a BlockChain and a BlockChain to create a Peer.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 03:50:13 PM

There are presently at least 2 independent Python p2p implementations...
Where? Are they open source?

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 04:18:47 PM

Is it possible to create a Peer without a Wallet? It seems like you need a Wallet to create a BlockChain and a BlockChain to create a Peer.

You need a wallet. If you don't care about that just create a new one for every run of your program, "new Wallet()" directly passed to the constructor works fine.

I might make providing the object optional in future. Obviously you can't send/receive coins without a wallet so that use case is only for, as Satoshi might say, intrepid programmers who want to do something a bit different.
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 04:29:56 PM

Ah, that makes sense. I'm newish to Java, and I've only been looking over the code the past few days, but can multiple Peers share the same BlockChain/Wallet? I was trying to figure out how one might manage multiple connections, but I wasn't sure if multiple instances of a Peer would sync on the same BlockChain.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: