Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:37:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen to Bitcoins if the $ collapses?  (Read 2140 times)
Syc0 (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:36:30 PM

After watching the youtube series 'Hidden secrets of money' by Mike Maloney (I recommend everyone to watch it!), I have come to the conclusion that the $ will collapse in the near future (within 10 years or so).

My question is, after the $ collapses, what will be the outcome? Do you think we will move to a gold standard and people will then trade bitcoins with gold (as we do with the fiat currencies currently), or will bitcoin reign supreme and become the standard currency? I have been trying to figure this out before I invest everything into bitcoins. My theory (& Mike Maloney's) is that we will go back to some form of gold/silver backed currency, hopefully bitcoins will still have retained it's value and still be desired. What do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:56:13 PM

I think that bitcoin along with it's altcoin cousins would rise exponentially.

However, keep in mind that the US Dollar is backed by the most powerful military regime in the World, so I don't see the dollar disappearing entirely.
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:05:47 PM

What will happen to $ if Bitcoin collapses? Absolutely nothing.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
minerpart

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

IIIIII====II====IIIIII

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:35:04 PM

Good question, no expert here but after a bit of searching - have a look at what happened when the Dollar devalued in 1930's due to similar high levels of credit (debt) and high asset prices:

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/136779/barry-eichengreen/when-currencies-collapse

'As international liquidity grew scarce, central banks and private investors searched desperately for other assets, that is, alternatives to the dollar and sterling that were liquid and promised to hold their value. They found them in the currencies of countries still on the gold standard: Belgium, France, the Netherlands, and Switzerland. '

This time there are surely more numbers of substantial economies across the World where money can fly to (to their currencies and markets). Global trade impact (deep recession) may be similar esp with huge amounts of US debt in China. But BTC could, if it's well established by then, take a huge pump.
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 07:39:13 PM

This is why tangibles always trump non-tangibles.  Get your "beans bullets and band-aids" (a term for it) stocked up.  Then no matter what happens you know you will eat, have basic supplies of every sort on hand, as well as trade items in case stuff becomes unavailable due to economic or societal breakdown.

That, my friends, is true wealth.  Any extra goes into AU, AG, BTC etc

Stay liquid, my friends.

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:57:03 PM

I agree. While I don't think all alt-coins will be successful a few select ones will do quite well.

However, keep in mind that the US Dollar is backed by the most powerful military regime in the World, so I don't see the dollar disappearing entirely.

That and legal tender laws, so I agree it may not disappear entirely. However with trillions of units in existence if the primary use is limited to govt debt settlement it may take a wheelbarrow full of them to buy a loaf of bread.

The most likely answer to your question is that bitcoin would also collapse with the collapse of the dollar ($) ...

No it's not. Why do you think the value of Bitcoin is dependent on dollars? You may be confusing the exchange rate, which is often in dollars, with the underlying value. The two are not the same.

OP: consider the people in Argentina are very familiar with currency collapse. This last time in 2001 I heard people tried in desperation to create trade alternatives, resorting to local exchange systems including home computer printed "currency". Of course this didn't last. Now imagine they had access to bitcoins in that situation. It paints quite a different picture.
pening

Activity: 245

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:32:32 PM

In the event of a $ collapse, if it occured despite all the vested interests around the globe, what trust do you think people will have in a virtual coin?  Not you, but those who haven't been involved previously.
virtuexru

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

litecoin!

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:41:09 PM

This is why tangibles always trump non-tangibles.  Get your "beans bullets and band-aids" (a term for it) stocked up.  Then no matter what happens you know you will eat, have basic supplies of every sort on hand, as well as trade items in case stuff becomes unavailable due to economic or societal breakdown.

That, my friends, is true wealth.  Any extra goes into AU, AG, BTC etc

Stay liquid, my friends.

this.
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:39:53 AM

I'd say people will flock to put their money into things that they think do not devalue or will hold value. This would of course drive up the price.

Gold (true money)

Real Estate (already happening see: Chinese getting money out of CHina into foreign markets)

BTC (cant be devalued, not 'governed')

Art, Wine, Antiques.

acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:00:59 AM

In the event of a $ collapse, if it occured despite all the vested interests around the globe, what trust do you think people will have in a virtual coin?  Not you, but those who haven't been involved previously.

Unfortunately most people don't understand how money works, or the reason to put trust (or not) into a particular currency; many people believe dollars are backed by gold in Fort Knox.

What people would understand is the man behind the counter saying they need to pay in something called "bitcoin" or gold or receive no groceries. Then it becomes an effort to obtain the form of money the grocer wants regardless how it works.

Siegfried

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:04:04 AM

Awesomeness.
mzp

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:11:34 AM

Thats what I was thinking too. BTCs' most primitive function seems to be to act like gold.

The gold market could actually be a trigger of the collapse. Demand for "physical" gold is hot and getting hotter by the week. The "Paper" market GLD fund buys and sells gold shares or contracts but less than 1% of contracts opt for delivery, actually having the stuff shipped to you. Deliveries will increase as physical demand rises. Inventory shrinks, until one day an order for delivery arrives when there is nothing in the vaults to fill the order. That will be front page news if the buyer turns down a cash settlement. Default. For each ounce I physically own, over 100 people currently hold contracts telling them that they own the same ounce. Suppression of the gold price, selling gold into the market to suppress the price (leasing) or dumping "naked short" sell orders in the paper market both end when everybody knows there is nothing left.

Why the big demand? Why suppress the price? People buy gold to dodge rising inflation, and the Fed holds the price down to avoid giving the impression that there is rising inflation.

So the jig is up and gold price spikes totally out of control. All confidence in the dollar disappears and all foreign T-bond holders begin a race to the bottom. SELL!! SELL!!!

When all inventory of gold everywhere is sold, and then all silver inventory is sold, the people who missed out on that will come down on BTC like a ton of bricks. Somebody said maybe ten years for another major crisis to develop. I am thinking more like ten months.
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:35:50 AM

I'm thinking Bitcoin would become instanly more popular and used.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:51:06 AM

if the dollar collapses, then bread, bottled water, milk and everything else would be worth more dollars.. EG $100 for something normally worth only $1.

this would then make bitcoins worth (using the same exampled multiplication) 1BTC=$100,000, whilst at the same time 1BTC= only EUR1000 due to the euro not collapsing

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:55:10 AM

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:01:05 AM

The value of the dollar has nothing to do with the military, otherwise we could just double our military and double what we can buy with a $1? LOL. Also do you think there would be a US military if the currency they got paid in instantly became $0 and they couldn't afford their homes, food etc?

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:08:57 AM

The value of the dollar has nothing to do with the military, otherwise we could just double our military and double what we can buy with a $1? LOL. Also do you think there would be a US military if the currency they got paid in instantly became $0 and they couldn't afford their homes, food etc?

I think what he means is that the size of the US military provides other countries an 'incentive' to keep using it.

Sindelar1938

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:11:09 AM

Not going to happen anytime soon
But if it did, price explosion of altern stores of value including btc

russokai

Activity: 130

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:15:55 AM

Well any kind of currency crisis or collapse is going to make bitcoin more valuable and increase its purchasing power, at least in general. 

Of course if the dollar really collapses then the world is suddenly so different than the one we live in right now that it's probably impossible to say what would really happen.  But I don't see the dollar collapsing anytime soon because the US gov't will keep stealiing from the poor and middle class to prop up the dollar until they just can't do it any longer....still much more to squeeze there so could be awhile.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:16:07 AM

I think what he means is that the size of the US military provides other countries an 'incentive' to keep using it.

Somewhere Saddam Hussein is saying ain't it the truth.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:00:28 AM

Welcome to the experiment of bitcoin Smiley  ..   What would happen to bitcoin if the dollar collapes, I have no idea. It could be a bad thing or a great thing for bitcoin.

I personally don't want to find out though in my lifetime.  If the dollar collapses MANY people are going to suffer alot regardless of what happens with bitcoin,  and I wouldn't want family or friends or myself to have to experience that.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
DeeSome

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:19:31 PM

if the dollar collapses, then bread, bottled water, milk and everything else would be worth more dollars.. EG $100 for something normally worth only $1.

this would then make bitcoins worth (using the same exampled multiplication) 1BTC=$100,000, whilst at the same time 1BTC= only EUR1000 due to the euro not collapsing

I think this is probably the most sensible answer, and since you won't be able to buy a loaf of bread with a rare oil painting or a bar of gold (think of the change problem) then Bitcoin will become the currency of choice.
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 04:29:38 PM

One indisputable fact:  if you have food on hand, you can eat it.

Maybe not so if all you have on hand is gold or bitcoin or cash or anything else.

Do yourselves a favor: store at least several months of food in your pantry.  Best to have more, but that is a good start.  Then get yourself a store of everyday items you use on a regular basis, then cycle through it replenishing as you go.

Now you have locked in value that no inflation can take away from you and you are safe to live another day come what may even if stuff becomes unavailable.

THAT is the greatest investment you can ever make.  Plain and simple that nearly anyone can do.

Words to the wise.  Ignore if you wish - I may just be selling you some of my stash at a tremendous premium and you will be glad to get it.

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
mhmgs

Activity: 25

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 05:17:45 PM

Dollar may collapse within years. All possibilities can seen in a bubble economy. One world currencies like Bitcoin, Litecoin may lead the world.
unitedminers.eu

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:22:39 PM

Dollar may collapse within years. All possibilities can seen in a bubble economy. One world currencies like Bitcoin, Litecoin may lead the world.

sure!
Mavrick

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:45:40 PM

this is why bitcoin exploration into china is so important as the most traded currency in the world the yuan would offer the bitcoin not only more value but also more protection , this will not only ensure bitcoins survival but bitcoin will flourish.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:09:15 PM

There was a topic about this somewhere. If the $ collapses you will have a lot more to worry about. Think of all the people who don't have any other valuables just live day by day in their rented appartment, paying for everything with fiat. They'll be the first to grab their guns and baseball bats.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: