Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:30:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Bitcoin' hacked -  (Read 390 times)
Daboy_Lyle

Activity: 532
Merit: 148

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 11:16:55 AM

Bitcoin can't be hacked.  If you'll say Bitcoin Wallet yes it is vulnerable to theft.  That's why we need a secured wallet or use 2 factor authenticator.  We can avoid that by doing something that will help our bitcoin wallet safe.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drm
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 11:17:32 AM

Some altcoin got 51 percented and now bitcoin is at danger?  Roll Eyes
Nothing has changed, bitcoin has always been vulnerable to it in theory.
KR$N

Activity: 48
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 12:10:24 PM

So even with 51% attack possible, what prevents the rest 49% from forking into a legit chain and screwing the attacker? Huh
They can, though it wouldn't screw the attacker over. This is possible though it probably wouldn't happen. 51% attacks are usually unexpected and people would likely not have time to react (especially with exchanges with automated deposits). Forking the chain wouldn't help either. Clients would follow the chain with the longest POW and the community doesn't have time to react to it, usually.

The attacker could also very simply just switch his hashpower over to the honest chain. Either way, after its discovered, the damage to merchants/users isn't that big anymore.

Thanks for clearing this out for me, I didn't think about the transactions that happen after attack and before the fork. So the defense strategy for this type of attack requires immediate recognizing and instant reaction from the community at least.

I'm part of a movement to make the forums better.
nickmax

Activity: 140
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 01:12:29 PM

Some altcoin got 51 percented and now bitcoin is at danger?  Roll Eyes
Nothing has changed, bitcoin has always been vulnerable to it in theory.

I do not think it's real for BTC, show me a man who can buy as much power for an attack of 51%, it's impossible. Bitcoin Gold always has some problems and this is not the last. And why, then I'm not surprised that this is exactly what happened with this coin.
James andrew

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 01:16:56 PM

Everyone try to hack bitcoin but it's not possible hack bitcoin because their technology is  strong
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 01:27:38 PM

Well, sort of. 

Bitcoin Gold was 51% attacked - apparently successfully.  This is very important.  While not exactly Bitcoin, it is a kind of Bitcoin.  And it was hacked. 

We can no longer argue Bitcoin is unhackable.  51% attacks are real and possible.   $18 million stolen.  It can be done. 

The US government could probably put into place enough hashpower very quickly.  The new 7nm process could be bought by someone and get a shitload of competitve hashing up and running.  It is possible.   

My conclusion: Bitcoin can be hacked.

Technically, I think you are correct that a 51% attack could occur with any decentralized cryptocurrency. However, I think Bitcoin is at a very low risk of that now that the mining is spread out and the coin ownership is so widespread. The higher risk is with new coins that could more easily be controlled because fewer people own them and they are worth less.
RawDog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2018, 02:29:36 PM

Technically, I think you are correct that a 51% attack could occur with any decentralized cryptocurrency. However, I think Bitcoin is at a very low risk of that

Yes, but the risk is FAR greater now that we've seen it done successfully on a close cousin of Bitcoin.  If the guy who owns that 7nm fab spends about $20M - I think he'd have enough to pull it off. 

Until this week, 51% attack was just a fun theory.  Today it is a very real thing that could be done with Bitcoin. 

*Image Removed* *Expletive Removed*  *Obsenity Removed*
What's going on - Slavetards?!!!
Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
ranochigo
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 02:51:49 PM

Yes, but the risk is FAR greater now that we've seen it done successfully on a close cousin of Bitcoin.  If the guy who owns that 7nm fab spends about $20M - I think he'd have enough to pull it off.  
The only obvious similarity that Bitcoin Gold and Bitcoin has is the name. Bitcoin Gold has a completely different mining algorithm and that could make a huge difference. For a fair comparison, ZCash which has the same algorithm has 20 times the hashrate of Bitcoin Gold. This makes it much easier to attack BTG than ZCash. ZCash is still a very small altcoin as compared to Bitcoin.
Until this week, 51% attack was just a fun theory.  Today it is a very real thing that could be done with Bitcoin.  
51% attack has never been a fun theory. It is a very real attack. They are viable for smaller altcoins like Bitcoin Gold, not bigger coins like Bitcoin.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
RawDog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2018, 05:26:41 PM

Yes, but the risk is FAR greater now that we've seen it done successfully on a close cousin of Bitcoin.  If the guy who owns that 7nm fab spends about $20M - I think he'd have enough to pull it off.  
The only obvious similarity that Bitcoin Gold and Bitcoin has is the name. Bitcoin Gold has a completely different mining algorithm and that could make a huge difference. For a fair comparison, ZCash which has the same algorithm has 20 times the hashrate of Bitcoin Gold. This makes it much easier to attack BTG than ZCash. ZCash is still a very small altcoin as compared to Bitcoin.
Until this week, 51% attack was just a fun theory.  Today it is a very real thing that could be done with Bitcoin.  
51% attack has never been a fun theory. It is a very real attack. They are viable for smaller altcoins like Bitcoin Gold, not bigger coins like Bitcoin.

What the fuck are you doing in this forum?  They don't let intelligent answers in here.  I think you are in the wrong place. 

*Image Removed* *Expletive Removed*  *Obsenity Removed*
What's going on - Slavetards?!!!
Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 05:30:45 PM

What is a "bitcoin gold?"

Bitcoin user - Unaffected.   Wink

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
ashahin7799

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 05:59:47 PM

As it is used by technology, it could be a hack.And its main reason is not to work safely and carefully.Bitcoin hack can be prevented when working with caution.That's why we have to use our secure bitcoin wallet.And keep the passwords and personal images in a secret place.
Innuend0

Activity: 28
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:26:05 PM

bitcoin is so bad lately
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:32:41 PM

It's always been pretty obvious that 51% attacks are possible? logically.
that's why decentralization and a large network is very important.

however, unless someone can maintain 51% of the network forever, can't it be solved by just 'dropping the blocks' that were mined during the 51% attack?
I imagine it could get problematic with payments disappearing for products that has been shipped.

We'll have to keep working for a larger and more decentralized network.

5 EUR free crypto on signup! XCM exchange token ⚜⚜⚜  CoinMetro - Copy Trading - Margin - 0% maker fee  ⚜⚜⚜ - generate €500 volume in July for a chance to win €100!
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1343

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:39:38 PM

What is a "bitcoin gold?"

Bitcoin user - Unaffected.   Wink

It's just another shitcoin that isn't made to give, but take. It's made to piggyback BTC and use its name to gain some interest and confidence, and while some idiots are buying, the dev team is selling. In the end we have rich dev teams sipping drinks on the beach and bag holders hoping that it will one day steal some of the bitcoin's value again and follows it to the moon. As far as I remember BTG was worth almost 10 times more at some point. That's what we call a crash ladies and gentlemen.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:45:08 PM

Too funny reading posts/replies that's obviously not reading the OP, just only the headline Roll Eyes

Anyway... Its bitcoin gold, not bitcoin so not much affected~
hodlftw

Activity: 326
Merit: 104

Santa Coin

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:45:37 PM

What the fuck are you doing in this forum?  They don't let intelligent answers in here.  I think you are in the wrong place.  
While this is a funny news piece to speculate about, but in all honestly this seems like it can't happen. I can't math too well but the hash rate for Bitcoin Gold is over 100x less than Bitcoin's I believe. If this is true a hacker would have had to spend a lot of money to hack the Bitcoin network and I don't think it would be in the millions. And even then, wouldn't Bitcoin re-route the network as soon as they realized something was up? I am no technical person fwiw and if I got this supremely incorrect I apologize, but I have heard this train of thought from several well respected members of the Bitcoin community.

cizatext

Activity: 952
Merit: 41

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:46:15 PM

Well bitcoin has always being a point of attack by hackers but the fact still remains that since bitcoin is highly decentralized and it software not in the hand of any third party it will be almost impossible to hack into bitcoin system, not the same with bitcoin gold or bitcoin cash who's software can be handle by a third party e.g the developer's and some other team members due to it fairly centralized nature.
Maymun_lavigne

Activity: 434
Merit: 126

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 06:52:24 PM

it happens could be due to negligence of the owner of BTG itself.
how safely you keep your assets on your computer , it's a personal error or the owner of the miner is not from the side of the BTG system.
Mr. Sohel

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 07:00:12 PM

hahahahaha  
 its fake news and newer posibal to hack bitcoin
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 07:16:44 PM

By the way. A 51% attack is not a hack. It is a consensus decision. If you can garner 51% then you should have rights to the network because you are the majority of the network.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: