Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:51:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would You Give Up Having Children To Save The Planet  (Read 119 times)
IndigoRed (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 05:53:38 AM

Here’s a (not)fun fact: The environmental toll of having even one child is equivalent to 58.6 tonnes of carbon each year. So, would you give up your dream of having children to help save the earth? An article on The Guardian says, “The UK-based organization Population Matters wouldn’t call for human extinction – even in jest – but it does campaign against population growth which, it says, contributes to environmental degradation, resource depletion, poverty and inequality.”
Gwynn Mackellen, a recycling consultant, was 26 when she decided to get sterilized. “I always knew I didn’t want kids, for environmental reasons… It’s not people being bad; it’s just the effects of people. The trees are being cut down on our behalf. Plastic waste is being dumped and minerals are being mined not because of bad people, but because of people. Having fewer of us, there will be less of those effects.”
We can embrace all the electric cars, renewable energy sources and plant-based foods we like, but, she believes, this can’t make up for overpopulation.

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/20/give-up-having-children-couples-save-planet-climate-crisis
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ghermghuda

Activity: 284
Merit: 5

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 05:56:50 AM

Well if the need comes to so then I think I'd have no option. We can frame your question again in this way, would you give birth for your child to suffer the from the effects of the excess carbon or would rather not give birth to keep the planet safe for the future when human population reduces.

[ CurioInvest ]: Bringing Collectables into the Digital World (https://curioinvest.com) [IEO LIVE]
pandacrypt

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 08:58:44 AM

I cannot say that I really want to have any children, what is the purpose?
First, it is expensive to have them
Second, they need attention
Third, your life will not be the same with them, if you are not ready then u r in the trap.

The point, that you should be happy first and second you should be responsible for the children and their happiness, and the point in here is not in the ecology it is in the psychology.
tabachnyidym

Activity: 77

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 09:06:15 AM

I dont feel like we are close to that point when we should think about that kind of questions. Maybe later on
raatnak

Activity: 185

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 09:32:05 AM

No, I`m an egoist
Nancy Momoland

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 11:34:11 PM

Yes, of course, I would rather sacrifice that to save the world
pistachefreak

Activity: 87

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 01:37:22 AM

lol i don't want to have children and the planet isn't in so critical state for now
atop3478

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 03:30:49 AM

i don't understand where this idea come out. If we do not have children for reason "to save the planet" then the chain of life will stop. Imagine if at this time all humans do not have children for the same reason. Next 70 years will no longer live because the average human life on earth 60 to 70 years. My advice is to live normally (have children included) only God knows the age of the planet and let it be his secret. Many ways to save the planet.
IndigoRed (OP)

Merit: 1

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 04:32:18 AM

i don't understand where this idea come out. If we do not have children for reason "to save the planet" then the chain of life will stop. Imagine if at this time all humans do not have children for the same reason. Next 70 years will no longer live because the average human life on earth 60 to 70 years. My advice is to live normally (have children included) only God knows the age of the planet and let it be his secret. Many ways to save the planet.

Well...you are right about the average life span however, there are so many factors that threaten to shorten that. I mean, just reading the news will tell you about extreme temperatures and rising sea levels in the US, water shortage in India, the ice in Antarctica melting at a rapid rate, marine life being contaminated. Would you still call the planet an ideal home to raise children?
Impulseboy

Merit: 4

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 04:42:17 AM

If I have a choice, I'd say no, but I'd probably have just one kid because I want my family line to continue. The world we live in right now is not that bad, it has its ups and down, but I don't think we are at a critical state yet.
Bryan | Atomine Support

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 05:42:28 AM

I don't want to end the cycle myself..  Huh Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: