Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:37:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 1310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2003810 times)
que23

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 12:55:42 AM

Ethereum isn't an altcoin; it's a platform.

Ethereum is an altcoin. Just because it is a platform as well, doesn't mean its not an altcoin.

Mastercoin is a platform too, but its still an altcoin at the end of the day.

Saying Ethereum isn't an altcoin is misleading.

I don't think it's an altcoin. I mean, it's debatable. I'm not trying to mislead anyone. But when Ethereum gets compared to dogecoin, then you have to say something to make the distinction. Ethereum is more of a distributed computing system that uses a token called ether for its operations. Ether plays many roles in the system. It's not just a coin; it's also fuel for contracts. How would you make the distinction. (And I think Masteroin is a metacoin, not an altcoin.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ddink7
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 12:57:50 AM

Gutshot - ignored. For no better reason than he can't do math.
($800 x 30,000 BTC = $24,000,000)

The white paper has been changing so it must be a scam - I hope the white paper keeps changing all the way up until the product is released (we call that "innovation")

Ethereum is breaking US funding laws - Etherium is not offering equity and even if they were, Ethereum is a Canadian corporation. You know, Canada....that country that isn't part of the United States...

The founders are greedy OMG!!!! - So was Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and Larry Ellison and Sergey Brin...God forbid a person gets compensated for their work!

What prevents the founders from also buying in? - Nothing, other than their word. If you don't trust them to tell the truth them you probably shouldn't invest.

What protects my investment from a cheaper clone? - The community. Did all the 800 different bitcoin clones dilute your investment? No, because the community overwhelmingly prefers to use bitcoin rather than sexcoin or goldcoin or bbqcoin or even litecoin.

Dash - Digital Cash
https://www.dash.org/
utopianfuture

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:01:51 AM

UtopianFuture's rules of crypto industry's successes :

1. Inventor of revolutionary and successful crypto is anonymous and not asking for money

2. Makers of crypto clones can be successful and and not anonymous if they don't ask for money

3. If you think inventors of successful crypto can ask for money and not be anonymous, see rule number 1

More bullshit from you.  Now you are trying to fear monger people into thinking that all  government is bad and we should never obey the law because...who the fuk knows why?  Im not a big fan of government, but am I a fan of full disclosure and filing proper paperwork and bonds to insure that people don't get ripped off?  Hell yes.  Anyone who keeps repeating that government is bad bad bad because they dont want to file the correct paperwork and disclosures is obviously hiding something.  You are a cockroach, I read some of your previous posts and you obviously have an interest in ethereum being successful so you are willing to tell people that they are government lovers if they want transparency.  Frack you.

It costs $800,000 in legal costs and filing fees to do an IPO. This money is much better used to fund development than to feed parasites.

Your content, vocabulary, and grammar all reveal an incredible lack of class.

So you are saying your company refuses to comply with rules and regulations to save money for development? LMAO you just made me laugh in public.  A venture capitalist could fund twenty coins like ethereum with 36 million and have money left over for a Mercedes for every employee.  Why don't you just raise 36.8 million who the fuk would notice anyways?  Whats another 800,000 among strangers, at least people would have peace of mind and know what they are getting into.  You are not only rude and crass but you are ignorant as well.

A rule of thumb, any company that refuses to comply with regulations to save money or save in fees.  If it is that easy to deceive the government, how much easier to steal your money?  Companies that skirt laws from inception will never last long.

Rule number two:  Never fuckin invest a dime into a company when the principle owners dont have one cent invested.

Rule number three:  Trust but ALWAYS verify

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
gutshot5820

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:02:19 AM

More bullshit from you.  Now you are trying to fear monger people into thinking that all  government is bad and we should never obey the law because...who the fuk knows why?  Im not a big fan of government, but am I a fan of full disclosure and filing proper paperwork and bonds to insure that people don't get ripped off?  Hell yes.  Anyone who keeps repeating that government is bad bad bad because they dont want to file the correct paperwork and disclosures is obviously hiding something.  You are a cockroach, I read some of your previous posts and you obviously have an interest in ethereum being successful so you are willing to tell people that they are government lovers if they want transparency.  Frack you.

It costs $800,000 in legal costs and filing fees to do an IPO. This money is much better used to fund development than to feed parasites.

Your content, vocabulary, and grammar all reveal an incredible lack of class.

So you are saying your company refuses to comply with rules and regulations to save money for development? LMAO you just made me laugh in public.  A venture capitalist could fund twenty coins like ethereum with 36 million and have money left over for a Mercedes for every employee.  Why don't you just raise 36.8 million who the fuk would notice anyways?  Whats another 800,000 among strangers, at least people would have peace of mind and know what they are getting into.  You are not only rude and crass but you are ignorant as well.

A rule of thumb, any company that refuses to comply with regulations to save money or save in fees.  If it is that easy to deceive the government, how much easier to steal your money?  Companies that skirt laws from inception will never last long.

Rule number two:  Never fuckin invest a dime into a company when the principle owners dont have one cent invested.

Rule number three:  Trust but ALWAYS verify

1: This is the crpto market you dumbass, firm regulations are not established
2: please post your proof that princple owners have not invested "one cent"
3: you are neither trusting, or awaiting the inevitable verification that will drop on the ipo.

9/10 on your fud skills based merely on the fact that you have persistance in your 3 hour campaign of tomfoolery

I only heard about this project today, but your posts are laughable. Healthy skepticism is one thing and to be encouraged, but you seem to be coming at this with an agenda

1/ LMAO if you think that crypto get a magical exception from from crowd fundraising you are mistaken.  Call your state attorney general, SEC or the US attorneys office.
2/ The owners have zero risk in the whole and there is no denying this, I don't understand what you can prove here.
3/ You must be high because I didn't understand a word of that sentence.  Trust but verify is one of the oldest rule of thumbs in the financial industry.
4/ I feel like Im countering a 12 year oid kid so I will pass on your comments in the future.
stuhlman

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:13:30 AM

You know I hate to use public bathrooms, don't know why, but I always did. The idea of using one is just disgusting to me, but there comes the occasion you are far from home, you resist, and resist... Eventually you give up, and you run to the first public bathroom you can find. You start piling up layers and layers of toilet paper on the seat, you barley leave any room for your ass to shit through, you are thinking " No way my ass is going to touch that plastic, where another was earlier "... to make the story short you, you sit and as soon as you hear something hitting the water, you are overwhelmed by a sense of relief you can never describe.. But again on some occasions, as soon as you walk in that bathroom and prep your seat with the toilet papers, this "Jerk" walks in the bathroom and heads to the mirror, you can see him from the little crack by the door, he washes his hands, combs his hair, hangs around the mirror like a playboy model, all the meanwhile your are holding yourself you don't know if a huge fart is coming, you want to save yourself the embarrassment, but the "Jerk" won't budge, he is not going anywhere, so you say to yourself, f$%k him he's asking for it, and You let it rip...

★★ UltraCoin Nitro Pool  ★★ Panda Nitro Pool  ★★
cybnate26

Activity: 63

Observer

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 01:18:44 AM

. I'm really hoping we can get a good conversation going about identity and reputation systems or decentralized autonomous organizations or how to earn money by renting out your hard drive.  

Offtopic: (shameless plug) renting out your harddrive can already be done with Peercoin. Buy Peercoins and get 1% interest a year with mining PoS blocks with your client and hard drive.

Ontopic:
This project is very interesting to follow as it will further set the scene on what is legal and illegal. Where does a commodity ends and a currency starts. Bitcoin community has been very careful with advertising Bitcoins as a currency, although I'm seeing projects on the horizon which might change the scene.

Both Ethereum and EMunie will be way closer to what most jurisdictions consider a currency (or company). Sure that Bitcoin (and altcoins) will be affected (restricted or forbidden) in someway or the other when these projects are exploring the boundaries of the legal systems in many countries. I consider having an entity in Canada a weakness to the project, they should have started with a DAO in the first place. Either way they will likely have to engage in some legal battles, as there are too many people out there who have interests to make this fail or restrict. So they will need their 50% cut. There is a reason why some of the crypto developers rather stay anonymous as it is a tricky legal space.

Best time to become a crypto lawyer  Grin

NuDroid The world's first mobile stable digital currency wallet
gutshot5820

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:21:48 AM

You know I hate to use public bathrooms, don't know why, but I always did. The idea of using one is just disgusting to me, but there comes the occasion you are far from home, you resist, and resist... Eventually you give up, and you run to the first public bathroom you can find. You start piling up layers and layers of toilet paper on the seat, you barley leave any room for your ass to shit through, you are thinking " No way my ass is going to touch that plastic, where another was earlier "... to make the story short you, you sit and as soon as you hear something hitting the water, you are overwhelmed by a sense of relief you can never describe.. But again on some occasions, as soon as you walk in that bathroom and prep your seat with the toilet papers, this "Jerk" walks in the bathroom and heads to the mirror, you can see him from the little crack by the door, he washes his hands, combs his hair, hangs around the mirror like a playboy model, all the meanwhile your are holding yourself you don't know if a huge fart is coming, you want to save yourself the embarrassment, but the "Jerk" won't budge, he is not going anywhere, so you say to yourself, f$%k him he's asking for it, and You let it rip...

Sometimes you are holding back a fart and when you let it go you find out you shit in your pants because you were confused about what you had.
stuhlman

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:24:38 AM

Sometimes you are holding back a fart and when you let it go you find out you shit in your pants because you were confused about what you had.

Grin I'll add that in chapter two thanks.

gutshot5820

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:29:18 AM

Grin I'll add that in chapter two thanks.
lo
Yup and thanks for the very descriptive visual description.  It is now very firmly planted in my mind and I cant get it out of my head. lol
que23

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 02:18:20 AM

. I'm really hoping we can get a good conversation going about identity and reputation systems or decentralized autonomous organizations or how to earn money by renting out your hard drive.  

Offtopic: (shameless plug) renting out your harddrive can already be done with Peercoin. Buy Peercoins and get 1% interest a year with mining PoS blocks with your client and hard drive.

Cool. How does it work? Is this something I can start doing today?

cybnate26

Activity: 63

Observer

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 02:37:55 AM

Offtopic:
Yes, you can.
1. Download client at peercoin.net (optional: read white paper)
2. Buy Peercoins from one of the many exchanges (see www.peercoin.net)
3. Have client/wallet online regularly and 1% interest over the amount of Peercoins will be added automatically once in a while averaging 1%/year.
More details can be found on the forum: peercointalk.org. Or just post your specific questions in the forum.

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?action=refferals;refferedby=28779

NuDroid The world's first mobile stable digital currency wallet
que23

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 03:32:14 AM

Offtopic:
Yes, you can.
1. Download client at peercoin.net (optional: read white paper)
2. Buy Peercoins from one of the many exchanges (see www.peercoin.net)
3. Have client/wallet online regularly and 1% interest over the amount of Peercoins will be added automatically once in a while averaging 1%/year.
More details can be found on the forum: peercointalk.org. Or just post your specific questions in the forum.

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?action=refferals;refferedby=28779

So is the whole entire blockchain working to do this one thing, or can it do more? With Ethereum, creating a distributed dropbox is easy, and you can do a thousand other things too. Name coin, for instance, can be done with 5 lines of code on Ethereum. Do you think there is a way that peercoin can integrate with Ethereum?
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 03:39:20 AM

With Ethereum, creating a distributed dropbox is easy, and you can do a thousand other things too.

Name coin, for instance, can be done with 5 lines of code on Ethereum.

Well it seems someone certainly watched the introduction video   Grin
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 03:59:42 AM

The year is 2016, gutshot5820 is revealed as the biggest investor in the under funded, yet wildly successful, Ethereum currency. The cryptocurrency community collectively facepalms around the world.

msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:53:14 AM

They are NXTers. And low tier to boot.  They are followers; you can't expect them to question authority.
I for one thank you for wording my doubts.

30,000 BTC or 300 BTC, does not matter - there is no wrong question when you're asking other people's money.
but if you're dealing with 30,000 BTC, no stone should be left unturned within legal and contractual framework.

Actually, most Ether followers hate Nxt.  Nxt had an IPO of 21 BTC (1 BTC was from the founder).  The creator (BCNext) didn't allow anyone to invest more than 1BTC.  Most people were skeptical, called it a scam, so they didn't invest and he launched Nxt.  Then everyone screamed that the distribution was unfair and they didn't have enough time to invest.  Personally, I don't like large public IPO's for crypto's, it's lame, if it's POW, it should be launched for free and mined.  POS is tricky, because it has to be launched all at once, I don't think any POS will have a small IPO after Nxt.  Regardless, I'll avoid Ether, it's going to be killed by greed.
LeoC

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:54:28 AM

Posts about Ethereum will be flagged as off topic. This thread is to discuss public sanitation in restrooms and feces masking as flatulence.
stuhlman

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:32:33 AM

Posts about Ethereum will be flagged as off topic. This thread is to discuss public sanitation in restrooms and feces masking as flatulence.

Grin Thank you was waiting for someone to bring back some sanity into this, sidetracking the subject into Proof of Work while we were clearly speaking of Proof Of Steak and the aftermath. Thanks Leo.

mehransaam

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:48:43 AM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 01:59:58 AM by mehransaam

To bring back sanity to this discussion, this is why Ethereum needs all the money they will raise. All power to them. Vitalek please use the money wisely and stay in charge of Ethereum fully and all the way.

http://blog.ethereum.org/?p=53/ethereum-now-going-public

"We will be able to develop fully functional and robust Ethereum clients with as little as 500 BTC funding with current rates; basic implementations in Go, C++ and Python are coming close to testnet quality already. However, we are seeking to go much further than that. Ethereum is not "just another altcoin"; it is a new way forward for cryptocurrency, and ultimately for peer-to-peer protocols as a whole. To that end, we would like to be able to invest a large quantity of funds into securing top-notch talent for improving the security and scalability of the Ethereum network itself, but also supporting a robust Ethereum ecosystem hopefully bringing other cryptocurrency and peer-to-peer projects into our fold. We are already well underway in talks with KryptoKit, Humint and OpenTransactions, and are interested in working with other groups such as Tahoe-LAFS, Bitmessage and Bitcloud as well.

All of these projects can potentially benefit from integrating with the Ethereum blockchain in some fashion, simply because the layer is so universal; because of its Turing-completeness, an Ethereum contract can be constructed to incentivize nearly everything, and even entirely non-financial uses such as public key registration have extremely wide-reaching benefits for any decentralized cryptographic product that intends to include, for example, a social network. All of these projects will add great value to the Ethereum ecosystem, and the Ethereum ecosystem will hopefully add great value to them. We do not wish to compete with any organization; we intend to work together.

Throughout the fundraiser, we will be working hard on development; we will release a centralized testnet, a server to which anyone can push contracts and transactions, very soon, and will then follow up with a decentralized testnet to test networking features and mining algorithms. We also intend to host a contest, similar to those used to decide the algorithms for the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) in 2005 and SHA3 in 2013, in which we invite researchers from universities around the world to compete to develop the best possible specialized hardware-resistant, centralization-resistant and fair mining algorithms, and will also explore alternatives such as proof of stake, proof of burn and proof of excellence. Details on this will be further released in February.

Finally, to promote local community development, we also intend to create public community hubs and incubators, which we are tentatively calling "holons", in several cities around the world. The first holon will be based inside of Bitcoin Decentral in Toronto, and a substantial portion of Ethereum development will take place there; anyone who is seriously interested in participating heavily in Ethereum should consider giving us a visit over the next month. Other cities we are looking into include San Francisco, Amsterdam, Tel Aviv and some city in Asia; this part of the project is still in a very early phase of development, and more details will come over the next month."
[/b]
td services

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

black swan hunter

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:52:48 AM

Grin Thank you was waiting for someone to bring back some sanity into this, sidetracking the subject into Proof of Work while we were clearly speaking of Proof Of Steak and the aftermath. Thanks Leo.

So what does PoS stand for?
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:54:19 AM

1 sentence Summary of the Ethereum discussions so far:

Ethereum - Welcome to the END

OP needs to come and have a Q&A, some serious PR needs to happening right now
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 1310 »
  Print  

Jump to: