Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:35:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 1310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2003802 times)
houseo

Activity: 180
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 03:47:25 PM

many people in the thread saying ipo scam, wait to buy coins after-market. during ipo phase 1btc = 2000 ether. how much do you think an ether will be after market?

if btc = $800, that means 1 ether = 40 cents. do you think they will be more or less than 40 cents after market? of all the coins on coinmarketcap 22 are greater than 40 cents.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 03:52:59 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2014, 04:08:37 PM by romerun

Blockchain powered by Turing-complete language leads to a lot of unresolvable issues. It's not a scam, more like a failure where a lot of money is involved. I hope Vitalik is smarter than Matthew N. Wright and knows when it's time to stop...

Whenever doing something for the first time, there are those who decry it to be impossible. I think that it's wise to bring up concerns but the major value in Ethereum is attempting to do something that has not been done before. If it fails because it's too ambitious, I hope that investors will have taken this into account in evaluating the risk/reward factor.

I lost count how many times TRC and FTC networks got attacked, they still live. I can foresee red flag issues happen to ether chain, but if they're not so freaking really bad, ppl will forget after fixed.
lonsharim

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:00:16 PM

if btc = $800, that means 1 ether = 40 cents.

Only if you bought it in the first week

If however you bought it in the last 3 days ether cost 80 cents (@800$ a btc)
freedomfighter

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:07:02 PM

many people in the thread saying ipo scam, wait to buy coins after-market. during ipo phase 1btc = 2000 ether. how much do you think an ether will be after market?

if btc = $800, that means 1 ether = 40 cents. do you think they will be more or less than 40 cents after market? of all the coins on coinmarketcap 22 are greater than 40 cents.

This isn't the point. The point is the valuation or the market cap. here they aim to raise based on a 24M valuation post money. It can be with a million or a billion coins. doesnt matter. it can also be 5 cent after the IPO and still a good $3M valuation which what I would give in a normal world for a pre-seed concept with good management
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:48:40 PM

This isn't the point. The point is the valuation or the market cap. here they aim to raise based on a 24M valuation post money. It can be with a million or a billion coins. doesnt matter. it can also be 5 cent after the IPO and still a good $3M valuation which what I would give in a normal world for a pre-seed concept with good management

Market cap and valuation is decided by the market, not by the Ethereum founders. The initial price of ether is completely irrelevant because the quantity is directly tied to amount invested.

If the Ethereum founders were to only accept say 500 BTC and issue Ethers at say 100 satoshis ea, it would just limit the public from investing and then the complaint would be loudest from those who could not get in on the IPO at the initial price. The price would instantly spike up and the market cap would end up in the same place, only with fewer participants.

Invest or don't but just realize that the price and quantity is only based upon the desire of investors to participate.

_ingsoc

Activity: 452
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 04:55:53 PM

Market cap and valuation is decided by the market, not by the Ethereum founders. The initial price of ether is completely irrelevant because the quantity is directly tied to amount invested.

If the Ethereum founders were to only accept say 500 BTC and issue Ethers at say 100 satoshis ea, it would just limit the public from investing and then the complaint would be loudest from those who could not get in on the IPO at the initial price. The price would instantly spike up and the market cap would end up in the same place, only with fewer participants.

Invest or don't but just realize that the price and quantity is only based upon the desire of investors to participate.

Listen to this guy. His posts actually help this thread.

freedomfighter

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:03:57 PM

"Market cap and valuation is decided by the market, not by the Ethereum founders. The initial price of ether is completely irrelevant because the quantity is directly tied to amount invested"

still: i agree that it is all supply and demand. BUT: they create a target max valuation by saying 30000BTC for 45M or so ETH (1x1500 in average). they view this as a possible target if enough are in.

They could have gone with a target of 3000BTC goal with a limit of 0.5BTC per address or something and and a different exchange rate. it is all about defining the initial number of coins and starting point. THEY DO see the 1BTC@2000 ETH and a 24M valuation as a fair starting point.  
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:31:11 PM

"Market cap and valuation is decided by the market, not by the Ethereum founders. The initial price of ether is completely irrelevant because the quantity is directly tied to amount invested"

still: i agree that it is all supply and demand. BUT: they create a target max valuation by saying 30000BTC for 45M or so ETH (1x1500 in average). they view this as a possible target if enough are in.

They could have gone with a target of 3000BTC goal with a limit of 0.5BTC per address or something and and a different exchange rate. it is all about defining the initial number of coins and starting point. THEY DO see the 1BTC@2000 ETH and a 24M valuation as a fair starting point.  

I will grant that they are perfectly comfortable with raising far more money than the minimal amount of 500BTC - they're capitalists after all and they want to develop their product, quickly. The more salaries they can pay, the more developers and security professionals they can apply to projects and the faster the platform develops - it's not a bad thing for investors, miners or founders.

Your suggestion to limit per address is completely insufficient to prevent wealthy investors from investing as they wish. There is a minimal cost difference for sending 1000 BTC from 1 address or 2000 addresses. (I'd estimate around 0.2BTC in trx fees and perhaps .1 BTC in paying someone to create the addresses, if the investor lacks the technical knowledge).

rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:50:22 PM

I will grant that they are perfectly comfortable with raising far more money than the minimal amount of 500BTC - they're capitalists after all and they want to develop their product, quickly. The more salaries they can pay, the more developers and security professionals they can apply to projects and the faster the platform develops - it's not a bad thing for investors, miners or founders.

Your suggestion to limit per address is completely insufficient to prevent wealthy investors from investing as they wish. There is a minimal cost difference for sending 1000 BTC from 1 address or 2000 addresses. (I'd estimate around 0.2BTC in trx fees and perhaps .1 BTC in paying someone to create the addresses, if the investor lacks the technical knowledge).

My .02 FWIW

Yeah - see this is the deal.  If people think Eth is worth 500K - then it will start out being funded and valued at 500K.  If they think it's worth 30mil - then it will be worth 30 mil from the get go.  My impression is that the founders expect this to take off.  And they are comfortable with 500K or 30mil.

People need to do more thinking in terms of "how big is the pie" vs "how much of the pie who gets".  The initial investors are largely determining how big the initial pie is.  The pie will continue to grow to pay miners at a set rate.  I don't get what the big deal is - IF this works there is a lot of money to be made.  But not for a few years.  The pump and dumpers should probably avoid this one. 

I'm still trying to figure out exactly where the initial bitcoins are going to wind up.  Hope they release more in the prospectus.  My impression was that the usage of bitcoins was going to be completely transparent.  But there is so much shit going around I honestly can't tell.

Capitalism is never fair.
kdrop22

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:53:05 PM

Yes, the real issue is the valuation of the company and the dilution of the said share at 40% per year (forever).
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:10:42 PM

Yes, the real issue is the valuation of the company and the dilution of the said share at 40% per year (forever).

At 40% inflation per year, I don't see how this could possibly be a good investment.
ddink7
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:48:02 PM

At 40% inflation per year, I don't see how this could possibly be a good investment.

It's not 40% per year. Where X = initial ether raised through crowdfunding;

Initial supply = 1.5X
0.4X will be mined each year.

Ether in existence at the end of:
Year 1 = 1.9X
Year 2 = 2.3X
Year 3 = 2.7X
Year 4 = 3.1X
Year 5 = 3.5X

For an inflation rate of 26% in Year 1, 21% in Year 2, 17% in Year 3, 14% in Year 4, and 12% in Year 5

Dash - Digital Cash
https://www.dash.org/
_ingsoc

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 06:56:00 PM

Fundraiser is being pushed back: http://blog.ethereum.org/?p=100/conference-testnet-and-fundraiser-updates

KoinMaster

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:57:31 PM

They changed the headline on their webseite to "testnet release in....." This means IPO cancelled?

http://www.ethereum.org/

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
_ingsoc

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 06:58:39 PM

They changed the headline on their webseite to "testnet release in....." This means IPO cancelled?

http://www.ethereum.org/

Not cancelled. Pushed back it appears. See my post.

_ingsoc

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 07:03:31 PM

Good.

Don't know if they'll change any terms. I wonder how long until we hear about the new fundraiser?

KoinMaster

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:04:02 PM

Very good news, indeed!

I'd have been very disappointed with Vitalik, had he pushed through with the IPO & launch under this terms. He would have destroyed his reputation, IMO....

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
_ingsoc

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 07:09:51 PM

Very good news, indeed!

I'd have been very disappointed with Vitalik, if he'd have pushed through with the IPO & launch under this terms. He'd have lost his reputation, IMO....

Let's see what happens. There might be no changes to the structure. It could be a case of not being ready server-side, hence "logistical" issues.

KoinMaster

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:12:30 PM

Very good news, indeed!

I'd have been very disappointed with Vitalik, if he'd have pushed through with the IPO & launch under this terms. He'd have lost his reputation, IMO....

Let's see what happens. There might be no changes to the structure. It could be a case of not being ready server-side, hence "logistical" issues.

Hope not.... For Vitalik is his reputation and future in the crypto-currency world at stake. He won't dare to risk such an uproar from the community again, IMO....

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄

▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
turtoro

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:15:03 PM

Hey gutshot5820, looking forward to your usual informed, unbiased, factual, and neutral response to the developments... Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 1310 »
  Print  

Jump to: