Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:42:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 1310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2003796 times)
blarg

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:02:26 AM

I installed the client and miner. Does mining actually doing anything at this point? It just keeps printing out "nonce found" really fast. This reminds me of mining for another coin I saw recently: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=430295.0

where can i find the client download link?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
majik

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:39:32 AM

I have been looking and can't find anything to answer my question, even though it's buried somewhere I'm sure. Can anyone just tell me when I can by ether, or if I already can?

It may be 2-6 weeks away.  keep checking on http://www.ethereum.org/
RandyMagnum

Activity: 662
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 04:05:37 AM

so am i able to mine this?

Not yet, but when it releases, yes.
makoto1337
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 04:08:13 AM

I got the client off github by following toben's guide:

For Windows  -- http://ethereum-miner.tumblr.com/post/75200252875/windows-ethereum-client
For OSX   --  http://ethereum-miner.tumblr.com/post/75201773371/osx-guide-to-installing-and-compiling-a-binary-for-osx
For Linux (Ubuntu) -- http://ethereum-miner.tumblr.com/post/75205573886/linux-ubuntu-install-guide

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
                           ▄████████████████████████████████▄
                       ▄████████████████████████████████████████▄
                    ▌███████████████████████████████████████████████╒
                 ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
               ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
             ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
          ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████                                                ███████████▄
       ╒████████████                                                ▀███████████▄
       █████████████                                                ▀████████████▄
      ███████████████████████████████████      ███████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌
     █████████████████████████████▀       ████       ▀█████████████████████████████
     ╘███████████████████████████       ▄██████▄       ███████████████████████████▌
      ▀████████████████████████▀       ██████████       ▀█████████████████████████
       ▀██████████████████████╛      ╔████████████▄       ███████████████████████
        █████████████████████       ████████████████       ▀████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████╚      ╓██████████████████▄       █████████████████▀
           ██████████████▀       ▓█████████████████████       ▀██████████████╝
            ▀███████████╩       ████████████████████████▄       ███████████▀
              ▀████████       ▓███████████████████████████       ▀████████
                ▀████▐       ██████████████████████████████▄       ████▀
                  ╙▀       ▄█████████████████████████████████       ▀▐
                          ████████████████████████████████████▄
                         ▀████████████████████████████████████▀
                              ▀▀████████████████████████▀▀╛

Sora
| SoraTopia | SoraEconomy                                                    
/The Decentralized Autonomous Economy /
|
XOR
Orfu

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:20:54 AM

So when can we mine it?  Huh
bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:29:50 AM

So when can we mine it?  Huh

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=428589.msg4868352#msg4868352
amesterdamer

Activity: 334
Merit: 251

Designer and CryptoCurrency Enthusiast.

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:40:39 AM

For OSX: All was going well until the end of Step 5

cd ./bin
-bash: cd: ./bin: No such file or directory

What can it be?  Huh
gutshot5820

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:44:55 AM
Last edit: February 01, 2014, 06:57:49 AM by gutshot5820

This was posted on a Reddit/Ethereum thread earlier.  Are you f...in kidding me?  This has to be one of the most condescending statements by one of the Ethereum team members that I have seen so far.  And goes to show you how far out of touch they are with REALITY.

This comment is so full of HUBRIS and GREED.  I cant believe he wrote this and actually believes a word of it.

NOBODY and I mean NOBODY on here is against them becoming millionaires and earning their keep.  

What we are asking for is is a fair structure of the fundraiser that rewards early investors with some upside, since WE (the early adopters) are bearing ALL the risk, while the founders can still get rich and make millions.  Just a fair balance.  There is reward that is fair and balanced and this is not it.

He is trying to put this fundraiser into a narrative that he has bills to pay and needs to support a child.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WTF, they are trying to make millions from the fundraiser, have the potential to make hundreds of millions from their shares, PLUS get a salary that will probably triple the smartest devs at GOOGLE.  The best and brightest devs at Google probably only get paid $200-300K.

This guy must think we are all stupid.  I cant stop laughing at his comment.  Read this.

[–]texture 2 points 1 hour ago
1) I don't see how this follows.
2) I am not personally wealthy enough to make any meaningful financial contribution to the fundraiser. Neither are many of the core members.
3) Again, the core members are not all millionaires looking to get rich quick. We have bills to pay - I personally have a child on the way. We need to be paid the same as anyone else who does a job or starts a company. It's standard practice that those who start a company own some percentage of it, and generally a much larger chunk than the founders of ethereum are getting. Our company happens to have built into it a currency which can act as shares of an IPO. Because it exists in the lineage of Bitcoin this is difficult for people to understand. It is difficult for us to fully understand the implications of and we are attempting to be as transparent as possible.
4) Again, many of us are not in a position to invest any significant amount of money and we would end up owning a small fraction of the technology we helped bring to life.
Criticism is fine - we are attempting to maintain a dialogue, but we are not some sort of evil masterminds as some are claiming. We're attempting to build this technology for the people - while navigating uncharted territory.
gutshot5820

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:49:29 AM

Lets put the fundraiser in simple terms that everyone can understand. Everyone should agree that all investments should have a proper risk/reward ratio. This project itself has a lot of risk and potentially a lot of reward, so neither can outweigh the other. Now lets look at this objectively from that perspective.

Ethereum project;
Risk = Very High
Reward = Very High

Founders;
Risk = 0%
Reward=100%

Early adopters;
Risk = 100%
Reward = ?

Put that on a graph. Does that seem like a fair transaction to you?

Just look at the risk/reward ratio and it is way out of line, bordering on insanity. Hubris and Greed comes to mind. If you were the world's greatest cook and asked a venture capitalist or businessman to fund your new restaurant, Guess who makes the most money? Whoever takes the most risk. That's the guy who is paying for the risk out of his own pocket. It's been that way since the beginning of time. Granted, if you have risked a lot of your time and mental energy, you deserve payment for assuming that risk of your time and potential energy as sweat equity.

This is the only project that I have ever heard of that the founders have no sweat equity, no equity in capital and want all the rewards before the business even opens and then will ask the investment community to fund the entire project before it even starts and assume all of the risk.

The current investment model is appalling and downright thievery of the bitcoin community. Vitalik, please quit trying to instill a sense of fear and demand by constantly bringing up "whales" as an excuse for this model. That's just lame and I can't believe people will fall for that (edit...yes I can believe some people will). We can all guess whose idea and where those tactics were borne from.

They need to offer more ETH per bitcoin, lower the MAX to an acceptable level and therefore the pre-mine. And lower their shares of the coin to a level that doesn't reflect a persona of greed. If they are right and follow through, they can still be multi-millionaires by changing the structure in a way that it is not overly diluted and fair and equitable to early investors. The way it is structured now, they are punishing you for being an early adopter and instantly becoming wealthy without any risk at all.

I feel that if you are going to ask the investment community to fund the entire project sight unseen, then there must be checks and balances of risk/reward for founders and early adopters. This project is NOT a slam dunk, there is immense risk to go along with the rewards they are alluding to. Therefore the founders must take some risk themselves and give opportunity for early adopters to gain reward. ETH is not structured as a positive investment vehicle in its current form
keepwalking1234

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:06:55 AM

When will IPO start?
and When will mine start?

thanks!!!

Your dreams are waiting to be realized.
theomoplatapus

Activity: 322

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:11:25 AM

There's no point in speculating returns on IPO until the new IPO terms are released.

#Bitcoin
alexdoub1013

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:13:33 AM

As far as i can tell i live on the west coast of North America and your website http://fund.ethereum.org/ is not working. Your trying to raise a huge ammount of btc but your website doesnt work from day one?
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 08:20:49 AM

We are not raising money right now. Keep up with the news man.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
alexdoub1013

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:34:17 AM

Lets put the fundraiser in simple terms that everyone can understand. Everyone should agree that all investments should have a proper risk/reward ratio. This project itself has a lot of risk and potentially a lot of reward, so neither can outweigh the other. Now lets look at this objectively from that perspective.

Ethereum project;
Risk = Very High
Reward = Very High

Founders;
Risk = 0%
Reward=100%

Early adopters;
Risk = 100%
Reward = ?

Put that on a graph. Does that seem like a fair transaction to you?

Just look at the risk/reward ratio and it is way out of line, bordering on insanity. Hubris and Greed comes to mind. If you were the world's greatest cook and asked a venture capitalist or businessman to fund your new restaurant, Guess who makes the most money? Whoever takes the most risk. That's the guy who is paying for the risk out of his own pocket. It's been that way since the beginning of time. Granted, if you have risked a lot of your time and mental energy, you deserve payment for assuming that risk of your time and potential energy as sweat equity.

This is the only project that I have ever heard of that the founders have no sweat equity, no equity in capital and want all the rewards before the business even opens and then will ask the investment community to fund the entire project before it even starts and assume all of the risk.

The current investment model is appalling and downright thievery of the bitcoin community. Vitalik, please quit trying to instill a sense of fear and demand by constantly bringing up "whales" as an excuse for this model. That's just lame and I can't believe people will fall for that (edit...yes I can believe some people will). We can all guess whose idea and where those tactics were borne from.

They need to offer more ETH per bitcoin, lower the MAX to an acceptable level and therefore the pre-mine. And lower their shares of the coin to a level that doesn't reflect a persona of greed. If they are right and follow through, they can still be multi-millionaires by changing the structure in a way that it is not overly diluted and fair and equitable to early investors. The way it is structured now, they are punishing you for being an early adopter and instantly becoming wealthy without any risk at all.

I feel that if you are going to ask the investment community to fund the entire project sight unseen, then there must be checks and balances of risk/reward for founders and early adopters. This project is NOT a slam dunk, there is immense risk to go along with the rewards they are alluding to. Therefore the founders must take some risk themselves and give opportunity for early adopters to gain reward. ETH is not structured as a positive investment vehicle in its current form

Can you please explain to me why http://fund.ethereum.org/ is not working please? I dont mean to sound condescending but i dont understand why that part of the  websight is down?
Jeezy911

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:41:30 AM

The founders sound like greedy douchbags, but they are technically brilliant. So I guess im in, oh well lets all become millionaires.

td services

Activity: 448

black swan hunter

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:05:27 AM

We are not raising money right now. Keep up with the news man.

There's too much pollution on this thread to be worth reading or bothering with, much of it redundant crap from one individual. Ursium's has much better signal to noise ratio. Better to lock it and start a new, self moderated one.
Alphi

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:48:47 AM

The founders sound like greedy douchbags, but they are technically brilliant. So I guess im in, oh well lets all become millionaires.

the greedy douchebags are the ones who come on this thread and relentlessly bash it in order that they might buy a greater stake in Ethereum for less money.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bearraid.asp

this tactic known as Bear Raiding is not only immoral it is also illegal.
and if people think SEC rules do not apply to bitcoin investments then the case of Trendon shavers would clearly demonstrate how wrong that line of thinking is.

there really is no reason for ANYONE not interested in this project to be typing on this thread. therefore it is safe to say that those who type/spam the most are the ones who stand to gain the most from their actions.

seriously the amount of people who come onto bitcointalk and believe they can say and do anything they want simply because its bitcoin (or any other virtual currency) simply astounds me.

KARMA: KSc9oGgGga1TS4PqZNFxNS9LSDjdSgpC1B      VERT: VgKaooA5ZuLLUXTUANJigH9wCPuzBUBv9H
DOGE:   DRN7pXid34o6wQgUuK8BoSjWJ5g8jiEs4e
stuhlman

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:05:13 AM

It's amazing how this thread has evolved.
I guess with the fundraiser delay, maybe now they will consider something with better ROI for the investors.
If they come back with the same offer, I would wait and buy later from an early investor who's Ether have declined in value.
I see the project has merits, the only problems I see are the early investors getting zilch and that Ursium guy pretending to be a concerned outsider, while obviously he is involved somehow. You guys need to be clear about people's involvement in this project. I might overlook you having hired a couple of crooks from Goldman Sucks, these rats will find money. But to hire a mouthpiece "Ursium" who pretends to be a concerned outsider makes me puke.. I think Charles is a better representative for you guys on these forums

★★ UltraCoin Nitro Pool  ★★ Panda Nitro Pool  ★★
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:09:16 AM

so a few can mine now, investors cannot buy still? second time or third to delay the fund-raiser and this time it is without another new deadline? what a joke, can't wait to participate in the fund-raiser of a fork with more dedicated serious devs.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
KoinMaster

Activity: 323

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:27:13 AM
Last edit: February 01, 2014, 10:39:40 AM by KoinMaster

I have the Windows Ethereum v0.0.1 Client up and running....

Currently no GUI and mining isn't possible....

Will be checking for updates regurarily....

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 1310 »
  Print  

Jump to: