Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:53:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Programming lessons wanted  (Read 1342 times)
wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:14:53 PM

Was wondering what people would charge (in BTC) for tutoring in computer programming and if it's feasible to do that by VoIP, Skype etc.

Perl
Python
Ruby
PHP
C/C++

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:05:18 AM

Anything can be taught via video conferencing, maybe not judo, but any normal academic subject.

I could teach PHP and C++ - rate would be current BTC equivalent of $35/hr
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:20:14 PM

Anything can be taught via video conferencing, maybe not judo, but any normal academic subject.

I could teach PHP and C++ - rate would be current BTC equivalent of $35/hr
Or get C++ for dummies....
gogodr

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:59:43 PM

To learn c++ I often recommend this site.
http://101.lv/learn/C++/
it never gets old. It is the best guide to start with unmanaged oop programming.
wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:09:50 PM

It seems it's best to start alone and then have some lessons if needed. Thank you all for advices / suggestions / offers.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
longshort3301

Activity: 41
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:33:15 AM

It seems it's best to start alone and then have some lessons if needed. Thank you all for advices / suggestions / offers.
you can always learn programming on your own, nowadays education revolution is going pretty good, so you can do it for free, codeacademy.com is a good place to start, they have different languages from html to ruby
Bitcoinwunder

Activity: 72

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:49:41 AM

Learn python on http://www.codecademy.com
longshort3301

Activity: 41

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:26:37 PM

yeah, my personal advice would be python, big community and readable syntax
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:58:12 AM

Would you need math skills at this?
byteflush

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 02:29:37 AM

Of course, basic math is needed. You need to know the difference between "less than" and "less or equal than", binary comparison (that's still math) and such, at least. Now, depending on what you want to achieve, you will probably need more math knowledge.

U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:06:17 AM

Of course, basic math is needed. You need to know the difference between "less than" and "less or equal than", binary comparison (that's still math) and such, at least. Now, depending on what you want to achieve, you will probably need more math knowledge.
Im in high school right now, But I have a math disability, I look at numbers like WTF? Will it be like algebra? or just super basic like adding, mulipication, and division, etc.
rnp

Activity: 65

Bullish on BitCoins

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 03:15:19 AM

http://code.org/learn is a great resource for beginners.

www.lynda.com can come in handy with it's video tutorials, but I think they're paid

Try some free (and basically worthless) www.brainbench.com certifications.

--

Algebra is heavily used in programming.

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

type lines, no matter the language.

Good luck.

Caesium

Activity: 546

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:18:00 AM

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

What does that line have to do with algebra?! That's an extract from an if() loop, 3 individual but related statements.

I've been programming for 20 years and can't remember the last time I needed algebra after A-level maths in school :p (but I don't do any 3D gaming progarmming, which is where I guess you're aiming this at)

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Rawted

Activity: 742

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:33:13 AM

Since codeacademy has been mentioned....

My favorite go-to resource.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:33:46 AM

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

What does that line have to do with algebra?! That's an extract from an if() loop, 3 individual but related statements.

I've been programming for 20 years and can't remember the last time I needed algebra after A-level maths in school :p (but I don't do any 3D gaming progarmming, which is where I guess you're aiming this at)
I want to know some programming for websites and app developing, The above links are in my bookmarks now, Thanks for the tips guys! Smiley)
phazon307

Activity: 140

Don't fear Crypto Exchanges go with honest well kn

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:51:26 AM

I am taking a JavaScript and Ajax class right now math isn't really that important you can pretty much find the syntax for anything you want to do these days for instance if you wanted to have the todays date that you could put in a graphic or an image you would call a separate JS file. for instance
<script src="functions.js" script type="text/JavaScript"> the function contained in the JavaScript file would contain this.
function showDate() {
   thisDate = new Date();
   var thisWDay=thisDate.getDay();
   var thisDay=thisDate.getDate();
   var thisMonth=thisDate.getMonth();
   var thisYear=thisDate.getFullYear();
   var mName = new Array("January", "February", "March", "April", "May",
       "June", "July", "August", "September", "October","November", "December");
   var wdName = new Array("Sunday", "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday",
       "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday");
   return wdName[thisWDay]+", "+mName[thisMonth]+" "+thisDay+", "+thisYear;
}
To make it show up where ever you want you would place it inside a a div element of your choice depending where you want it to show up and you would call it like this.
<script type="text/javascript">
document.write(showDate());
</script>
No math involved there when you get to if statements and while loops that is when the real math comes in.

Win up $200.00 usd in bitcoins every hour.
rnp

Activity: 65

Bullish on BitCoins

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 04:05:28 AM

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

I've been programming for 30 years - and have taught math in elementary school - what I stated is (albeit incredibly simple) Algebra.

Algebra is math with non-numeric objects. j in the for look is a non-numeric object. j=j+1 (represented with j++) is math. 

I am trying to address at a basic level. Not College Algebra, but more early Pre-Algebra.

Caesium

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:12:46 AM

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

I've been programming for 30 years - and have taught math in elementary school - what I stated is (albeit incredibly simple) Algebra.

Algebra is math with non-numeric objects. j in the for look is a non-numeric object. j=j+1 (represented with j++) is math. 

I am trying to address at a basic level. Not College Algebra, but more early Pre-Algebra.

Alright, I'll concede that point, when you said algebra I immediately thought of "find x in '2x + x^2 + 32 = 0'" Cheesy

U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:27:24 AM

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

Alright, I'll concede that point, when you said algebra I immediately thought of "find x in '2x + x^2 + 32 = 0'" Cheesy
Phew, Im starting to think if I should ask my teacher for help. Smiley
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:35:05 AM

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

I am pretty sure that if there are variables in a program, there's algebra involved. If there's something other than a number representing a value, it's probably algebra.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
phazon307

Activity: 140

Don't fear Crypto Exchanges go with honest well kn

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:59:19 AM

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

I am pretty sure that if there are variables in a program, there's algebra involved. If there's something other than a number representing a value, it's probably algebra.
When you are creating a variable your defining something. This can use algebra but it can also not var time = getTime(); all your doing is making time = to a function so you don't have to write out the entire function over and over and over again that way when you want to use getTime you just say time.

Win up $200.00 usd in bitcoins every hour.
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 10:12:55 AM

Hey guys, Is codemasters down for you? I cant seem to access it. It just says 405 forbidden  Huh
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:01:01 PM

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

When you are creating a variable your defining something. This can use algebra but it can also not var time = getTime(); all your doing is making time = to a function so you don't have to write out the entire function over and over and over again that way when you want to use getTime you just say time.
Just by giving time a value (any value) you are already using algebra. At least from the way I see it.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
gogodr

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:51:37 PM

Why does it matter if it uses math or not?
Learn it if you need it. You are already doing that with the programming language.
Usually when programming games (what I do.), I use calculus and physics a lot.
When programming web, usually I need some math to calculate offsets and positioning for the front end. Almost only logic on the back end.
rhino34567

Activity: 288

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:13:35 PM

Does anybody know the best site to learn Java and/or C++? I can't find many good sites out there.

U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:15:20 PM

Does anybody know the best site to learn Java and/or C++? I can't find many good sites out there.
Codemasters is working now, I see that that is the best site to learn any language of coding!
nickjer

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:10:56 AM

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

20 years of programming and you just stated an "if loop"? Please explain how an "if loop" works.

Also, programming is swimming in algebra. Not only are you passing values around in variables and defining functions with them (e.g., b = 3.0; h = 2.0; a = 0.5*b*h;) but you also use 1D and 2D arrays which is basic linear algebra (e.g., v[i*length+j]). Also a "real" if statement is a common place to see algebraic options such as:

if (f(x) % 2 == 0) { //code here }

Not to mention the amount of algebra used in many of the algorithms you take for granted (e.g., sorting, hashing, searching).
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:15:09 AM

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

20 years of programming and you just stated an "if loop"? Please explain how an "if loop" works.

Also, programming is swimming in algebra. Not only are you passing values around in variables and defining functions with them (e.g., b = 3.0; h = 2.0; a = 0.5*b*h;) but you also use 1D and 2D arrays which is basic linear algebra (e.g., v[i*length+j]). Also a "real" if statement is a common place to see algebraic options such as:

Not to mention the amount of algebra used in many of the algorithms you take for granted (e.g., sorting, hashing, searching).

Wow, So it does need complex math.
Caesium

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:17:11 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 02:39:02 AM by Caesium

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

Yep, cos I really haven't got better things to do than prove myself to you..

edit: having gone away and thought about why you made a point of that I realised my error. Of course I meant condition not loop. My programming is better than my grasp of English, I swear.

I've just never heard the term algebra used to refer to this sort of basics maths before, I suppose.

In school whenever algebra was mentioned it was always related to equations like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra#Algebra_as_a_branch_of_mathematics

but you know, feel free to nitpick over my choice of words some more.

techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:48:31 AM

Have you checked out codeacademy.com or like treehouse.

nickjer

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:57:08 AM

Programming is full of

j=1; j<array.length;j++

Yep, cos I really haven't got better things to do than prove myself to you..

edit: having gone away and thought about why you made a point of that I realised my error. Of course I meant condition not loop. My programming is better than my grasp of English, I swear.

Hah, sorry was just giving you a hard time. Although an if loop would be impressive Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: