Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:45:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [NXT] Thread Wherein Large Stakeholders Foster Confidence by Outlining a Plan  (Read 2788 times)
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:58:12 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2014, 06:10:16 PM by Anon136

The security of the NXT network is a function of the level of decentralization of the stake. The more decentralized the stake, the more security each confirmation lends to a transaction. It is important for the long term health of the network that the proper balance be struck between the reward that the initial stake holders rightfully deserve for the risks they have legitimately taken and the necessity for a certain level of decentralization of stake in a proof of stake system.

With that being said it isn't immediately clear what is the right trade off or how these stake holders should go about about addressing this issue. The purpose of this thread is twofold. The space at the top will be reserved for statement by stakeholders about thinks like goals, time frame and proposed means of meeting those goals. Below that will be available for all manner of discussion related to this topic.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:58:21 PM

reserved

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:58:30 PM

reserved

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:58:39 PM

reserved

nmersulypnem

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:04:56 PM

Proof of Stake is never going to succeed.  It does not incentivize adoption.  Honestly, even Doge is a better coin than NXT.
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:16:05 PM

Proof of Stake is never going to succeed.  It does not incentivize adoption.  Honestly, even Doge is a better coin than NXT.

"Never say Never" - Justin Bieber
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:21:51 PM

I forgot to make it self moderated. please just ignore off topic comments.

starik69
Legendary

Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:39:23 PM

Better make new self moderated.
Btw, how would we identify stake holders?
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:43:40 PM

any idea how. I tried and it wouldn't let me delete or move this one.

Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:20:04 PM

They're wearing fancy clothes and driving flashy cars  Grin
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:26:22 PM

Abandon it and let it die and just start a new one is probably the only choice.

Change the title to "RIP: you were young, but fatally flawed"

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
msin
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 02:49:25 AM

I thinks its a dead topic.  Stakeholders have already greatly distributed their share, many of the large Nxt holders were early buyers from stakeholders.  I don't think a stakeholder will post here cause most people will just berate them with ridicule.   Distribution will continue to happen, many are waiting for decentralized exchange.
NWO

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:23:50 AM

You have been a member since 2010 and you still do not know how to create a self-moderated thread  Roll Eyes
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:37:31 AM

You have been a member since 2010 and you still do not know how to create a self-moderated thread  Roll Eyes

i know how to create it. what i dont know is how to make an existing and presently not self moderated thread self moderated.

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:39:18 AM

I thinks its a dead topic.  Stakeholders have already greatly distributed their share, many of the large Nxt holders were early buyers from stakeholders.  I don't think a stakeholder will post here cause most people will just berate them with ridicule.   Distribution will continue to happen, many are waiting for decentralized exchange.

perhaps you are right. i made this thread because cfb argued against lowering transaction fees by saying the stake was not distributed enough yet.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:36:24 AM

We shouldn't let this thread to die. I like comments similar to
coz they r like encrypted messages from subconsciousness. For example, decryption of the above message gives such text:
I spent a lot of money on GPUs/ASICs. I understand nothing but like to look a smart guy. I bought DOGE right before the price went down and now I want to get my money back.
NxtChoice

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:40:43 AM

I thinks its a dead topic.  Stakeholders have already greatly distributed their share, many of the large Nxt holders were early buyers from stakeholders.  I don't think a stakeholder will post here cause most people will just berate them with ridicule.   Distribution will continue to happen, many are waiting for decentralized exchange.

perhaps you are right. i made this thread because cfb argued against lowering transaction fees by saying the stake was not distributed enough yet.

Based on my understanding of Peercoin PoS minting, the transaction input was split to two outputs after the PoS block reward so that the number of PoS "miners" gets more and more in the PoS network which will competes during the PoS minting. Through this tx split, PoS network get bigger and bigger and more and more people must open the wallet to take party in the minting to get rewards(interest) and can't hibernate for 3 months and then open wallet to mint.

As we know, there is no multiple "inputs" in Nxt account, so is there any way similar to get more and more forgers? And at the same time, I think it may get the stake distributed more evenly.
gs02xzz

Activity: 221

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 01:32:39 PM

I can understand the importance of a better distribution of Nxt and it is difficult for the large stakeholders (whoever own 5M+ Nxt IMHO) to quickly distribute their NXT because they could hope to sell them at a better price in the future. But the dilemma is that if those large stakeholders do not distribute their NXT now a healthy NXT network may not be created and there maybe no a better price in the future.

It makes sense that the large stakeholders would only distribute their NXT if the distribution will make the price of NXT higher in the future. I have couples of suggestion here:

1) setting up a target for healthy max holding. I see that some stakeholders are still holding 5% of total NXT. Is it a healthy max holding? I do't know. For me it seems 1% is more healthy target based on the opinions I read online.

2) setting a max forging power at current stage. I see the large accounts have been gobbling the transaction fees because their balance are high. To build up a wider and stabler network, we need to encourage people to build more nodes and reward those node guys at this early stage of NXT. We can set up the max forging power as 500k or 1M, which means that all accounts with more than 500k or more than 1M NXT will be treated as 500k or 1M. Therefore the small accounts will have more forging power and receive more NXT as fees. This can be ended at a time when we have better network and distribution.

3) setting up a fund for the future development of NXT. Large stakeholders can chip in certain percentage of their NXT to this fund to facilitate the future development of NXT.
msin
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 01:47:49 PM

I can understand the importance of a better distribution of Nxt and it is difficult for the large stakeholders (whoever own 5M+ Nxt IMHO) to quickly distribute their NXT because they could hope to sell them at a better price in the future. But the dilemma is that if those large stakeholders do not distribute their NXT now a healthy NXT network may not be created and there maybe no a better price in the future.

It makes sense that the large stakeholders would only distribute their NXT if the distribution will make the price of NXT higher in the future. I have couples of suggestion here:

1) setting up a target for healthy max holding. I see that some stakeholders are still holding 5% of total NXT. Is it a healthy max holding? I do't know. For me it seems 1% is more healthy target based on the opinions I read online.

2) setting a max forging power at current stage. I see the large accounts have been gobbling the transaction fees because their balance are high. To build up a wider and stabler network, we need to encourage people to build more nodes and reward those node guys at this early stage of NXT. We can set up the max forging power as 500k or 1M, which means that all accounts with more than 500k or more than 1M NXT will be treated as 500k or 1M. Therefore the small accounts will have more forging power and receive more NXT as fees. This can be ended at a time when we have better network and distribution.

3) setting up a fund for the future development of NXT. Large stakeholders can chip in certain percentage of their NXT to this fund to facilitate the future development of NXT.

I like the idea, but Nxt is 100℅ POS (for now), so that wouldn't be fair to limit forging abilities.  I think overall growth has been healthy and we will continue to grow user base once there are more usable features.  Right now people buy to hoard or to make quick profit, so we need to have a little more patience. 
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:45:06 PM

That will a real kick in the teeth for large stakeholders if they have to spend 5 minutes setting up 10 new accounts with 500k in each.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: