Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:35:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power problems(not sure) R9 290 ??  (Read 762 times)
ovanwijk (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:10:46 PM

Hello,

First I have been searching for days for a solution and most certainly not a computer noob (hardware probably yeah since I just program Wink) but cannot seem to find the problem and with that the solution:

I am building a mining rig and here is my setup then comes the problem,
3x : Sapphire r9 290
Intel Celeron G1620
250g Seagate harddrive
Gigabyte GA Z77X-UP7 motherboard
Powered Riser 16x to 16x cables
2x Seasonic S12G 750w PSU
2x 2gig 2000mhz DDR3 Memory (also tried everything with an 8gb card from my normal pc)
Windows7 Ultimate SP1

With the idea of 1 PSU for 1 card + rest of the system and 1 PSU for the 2 othercards (read that on max power they use about 300-350 watts each)

Now.... my problem is actually quite a few of them.

1) if my cards are connected with riser cables, they do power up BUT windows doesn't detect them anymore(as in not in device manager and CCC install doesn't detect them either), I got a total of 5 cables (as that is the amount of cards I eventually want on it). I want to use the cables to give the cards some space for cooling.
2) the psu's seem to act odd, if I paperclip the motherboard connector to trick it from thinking it is on it indeed powers on if I flip the switch. However the 8/6 pins connectors don't seem to power the video card.
3) The video card does powerup when a powered riser cable and is connected (not connected to the motherboard so separate) and when I pull the power from the riser cable the video card turns of and when I plug it again it powers again. BUUUT when I turn off the the PSU and turn it on again the video card is not powered at all, only if I let it 'rest?' for like a few hours it powers up again= this I find really weird and happens with both PSU's.
4) With all cards directly plugged in the motherboard (and 2 psu's connected?) and no drivers installed they all appear on the device list. But when I install CCC it all goes fine but when then I restart the PC and have more than 1 videocard plugged in windows shows a blue screen as seen below. You can almost feel the cards drain power as fans slowly go softer and then restart.
5) The overdrive tab is missing from CCC, and CGminer(only tool I have that reads it) does not show fan speed or temperature. Nevertheless the card starts cooling himself when getting loaded heavily so the sensors work. (this in all I figured is probably a problem with the r9 290 and the AMD drivers)

I personally suspect that both PSU's don't put power through the 8/6 pins connectors (but I have no device to test it with, maybe some other way to test it?) and that the cards draw all power from the motherboard, which would explain power problems with 2 cards connected.

Please help me out, I am really lost and kinda find it a waste to just be able to run 1 videocard.....

Thanks in advance!

[img=400x300]http://www.vwsoftwaresolutions.nl/newdomain/IMG_20140125_131817.jpg[/img]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: