April 19, 2024, 09:48:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: no poll currently
yes - 41 (69.5%)
no - 18 (30.5%)
Total Voters: 59

Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 323 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][LEAF] LEAFCOIN - Android wallet launched  (Read 352571 times)
sakkosekk

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:09:52 PM

So we are promoting the exchanges to police, judge, jury and correctional institutions now?
Exchanges list coins in good faith, its is the communities, miners and traders that decide on how this will go. Any coin with good community, good development and sound concepts can archive success.

Say i have my money in a bank, the bank director doesn't like me or the way i do business. Does he then have any claim to take my money? As long as the rules are followed exchanges can't do anything.
I personally agree that multipools are frustrating, counterproductive and a cancer on the crypto community but you are barking up the wrong tree sorry!

Lets not pretend that because cryptocurrency has no "laws", that we can also set aside morality too.  As you, and many others would agree, these multipools are having nothing but a negative effect on any pottential coins growth.  Whether they kill it alltogether (which has happened to others) or just stunt it, its a negative effect.

A bank can refuse to accept a customers business, a bar can refuse to serve, everyone has the right to refuse service, even exchanges.

Individual miners or mining pools have zero power what so ever to stop this.  Developers could choose to implement gravity wells/quick difficulty retargetting, but ultimately the process of a huge pool vastly skewing the figures and then dumping in the market is counterproductive to the entire microeconomy of an individual coin.  The fact they play whack a mole with the whole range makes it even harder for any coin to become successful in its own right.  Thats why they all blend into one great big cloud of coins affectionatley termed "shitcoins" by many.

The only block between these multipools and them cashing out their gains, leaving a trail of high difficulty and low values, is the exchanges.   If an exchange took a stand and declared it would take any and all necessary actions to prevent multipools from trading there, many miners would go to it as an exchange of choice becasue they would feel somehow protected against the dumps.

As you say it is in the power of the community rid themselves of these multipools, but there is only so much that a single miner can do.

If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got.   If you dont do it, you will never know what would have happened if you did do it.   Its fairly simple to post a warning that any deposist from multipools will be held, and returned if confirmed that they came from a multipool.  A simple warning may be enough to disuade them, but unless somebody tries, we will never know.

So exchanges are police then?
If anyone sets artificial boundaries then its not a free market anymore, and once we cross that line....

Don't get me wrong, i think multipools are the scum of the earth, but there are measures coin developers can take. Gravity well.
I'm sure coinmarket would abide if the whole damn community decided that multipools should die, i would gladly put my vote for shutting them down.

I understand where you are coming from, but your examples are a bit off. An exchange saying no to mulitpools is not "police activity". IMO mulitpools are manipulating the free market you speak of. And last; the back director cannot steal your money of course, but if the money are obtained in an way labeled unethical by the director he is free to say no to your money.

Again, I totally get where you are coming from, but using examples like this often backfires Tongue
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
C3ALL

Activity: 140

★ BitClave ICO: 08/11/17 ★

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:12:59 PM

If anyone sets artificial boundaries then its not a free market anymore, and once we cross that line....

Don't get me wrong, i think multipools are the scum of the earth, but there are measures coin developers can take. Gravity well.
I'm sure coinmarket would abide if the whole damn community decided that multipools should die, i would gladly put my vote for shutting them down.

Why not?  Regular stocks and shares are part of a free market economy, but there are still rules.   Trying to implement rules in the world of crypto is a bit like firing a bb gun at a train, but some sort of morality wouldn't go a miss.

At least its worth a try to implemenmt some method of controlling an aspect of the market that has nothing but negative impacts.  Would the world of ALT be better without multipools - probably.  So why dont the people with the immediate power to try something (the exchanges) give it a shot.  Whats the worst that could happen?  The idea fails?  Well, at least we tried...

wn666

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:14:10 PM

So we are promoting the exchanges to police, judge, jury and correctional institutions now?
Exchanges list coins in good faith, its is the communities, miners and traders that decide on how this will go. Any coin with good community, good development and sound concepts can archive success.

Say i have my money in a bank, the bank director doesn't like me or the way i do business. Does he then have any claim to take my money? As long as the rules are followed exchanges can't do anything.
I personally agree that multipools are frustrating, counterproductive and a cancer on the crypto community but you are barking up the wrong tree sorry!

Lets not pretend that because cryptocurrency has no "laws", that we can also set aside morality too.  As you, and many others would agree, these multipools are having nothing but a negative effect on any pottential coins growth.  Whether they kill it alltogether (which has happened to others) or just stunt it, its a negative effect.

A bank can refuse to accept a customers business, a bar can refuse to serve, everyone has the right to refuse service, even exchanges.

Individual miners or mining pools have zero power what so ever to stop this.  Developers could choose to implement gravity wells/quick difficulty retargetting, but ultimately the process of a huge pool vastly skewing the figures and then dumping in the market is counterproductive to the entire microeconomy of an individual coin.  The fact they play whack a mole with the whole range makes it even harder for any coin to become successful in its own right.  Thats why they all blend into one great big cloud of coins affectionatley termed "shitcoins" by many.

The only block between these multipools and them cashing out their gains, leaving a trail of high difficulty and low values, is the exchanges.   If an exchange took a stand and declared it would take any and all necessary actions to prevent multipools from trading there, many miners would go to it as an exchange of choice becasue they would feel somehow protected against the dumps.

As you say it is in the power of the community rid themselves of these multipools, but there is only so much that a single miner can do.

If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got.   If you dont do it, you will never know what would have happened if you did do it.   Its fairly simple to post a warning that any deposist from multipools will be held, and returned if confirmed that they came from a multipool.  A simple warning may be enough to disuade them, but unless somebody tries, we will never know.

I understand where you are coming from, but your examples are a bit off. An exchange saying no to mulitpools is not "police activity". IMO mulitpools are manipulating the free market you speak of. And last; the back director cannot steal your money of course, but if the money are obtained in an way labeled unethical by the director he is free to say no to your money.

Again, I totally get where you are coming from, but using examples like this often backfires Tongue

You are singling out one type of customer to your service, as i said i do not at all like the multipools. But once you hinder supply of something then its not the same market anymore. The multipools are abiding by the rules of the coin itself, they are doing a job and getting payed. Its the coin and its reward structure and rules that are at fault. If everyone collectively withdrew their buy orders, then there would be no demand, supply would go down. This is self adjusting, its the beauty and the beast of a free market.
C3ALL

Activity: 140

★ BitClave ICO: 08/11/17 ★

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:19:12 PM

You are singling out one type of customer to your service, as i said i do not at all like the multipools. But once you hinder supply of something then its not the same market anymore. The multipools are abiding by the rules of the coin itself, they are doing a job and getting payed. Its the coin and its reward structure and rules that are at fault. If everyone collectively withdrew their buy orders, then there would be no demand, supply would go down. This is self adjusting, its the beauty and the beast of a free market.

I don't think it wouldn't hinder the supply though, as the coins would still go into the market, just not via a route that trades in a way to destroy it.    The multipools simply jump on a coin that is most profitable, waits until difficulty rises and auto dumps throughout the process.   They are manipulating the market by using the time lag on difficulty changes to artificially skew the market.

Gravity well is now almost a compulsory part of a coin imho to at least try and protect against the multipools taking advanatge of difficulty time lag.

Alty

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

RISE Project Manager

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:20:25 PM

Can the dev add kimoto?

How long would it take and how badly would it disrupt the coins progress?
wn666

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:22:10 PM

Evolution is happening right before our eyes. The developers will surely learn that gravity well is a key ingredient in a coin. Arms race, history in the making. Grab your popcorn!
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:24:42 PM

I will ask once more

24 satoshi..... good buy?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
mcg (OP)

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:25:08 PM

yes i can implement kimoto but i first must know the pro and cons.

and yes, it will have an impact on the foundation if i must do it this weekend.

ps. expected impact: 2 days ( shot in dark )
sakkosekk

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:29:22 PM

In theory I agree 100%, but not when it comes to practice. Let's hope Kimoto saves us all Smiley
mmilch
Copper Member

Activity: 343
Merit: 11

Secure automatic trading trade-mate.io

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 05:32:10 PM

This what we are talking about, is to set up some rules, not the limits. Eeach democratic system has some rules, otherwise it is total anarchy. Someone who brake the rules, should be just punished. Try to manipulate some share on the real stock exchange in democratic country, then you will see, how fast police will come to your house.

⚫ ⚫ ⚫ Make even more profit on crypto trading with secure automatic trading https://trade-mate.io ⚫ ⚫ ⚫
damnation

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=434996.0

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 05:34:38 PM

well i'm neither for or against multipool's in general as they do serve a purpose.

With the amount of new coins being generated.. sometimes its good to have a system which takes out the weak... seriously.. how many billion $ coin market caps do think can exist before the whole system collapses. The way i see it a coin that survives multipools is a coin that has proven itself.

On the issue of doge.. the multipools actually helped out as they kept difficulty high when hype was at its peak.. incresing value and demand... when they did finally leave.. the stable price vs difficulty stabilised at the 800 range @ around 40 a coin... when the pump started again.. to the 1200 difficulty range.. the multipools were back.. and the price has more or less stabilised once again at a higher hash rate.. and price level.. Doge gets hit by multipools a lot.. hence its difficulty sitting so high.

Confiscating a trader's coins because you "suspect" its a multipool account is a little crazy though.. for the simple reason.. that multipools aren't the only one with boat loads of coins.. cryptoworld is full of investors who made it big on prior investments. 

Taking Kitteh as an example.. If i had 3 btc to invest... and i bought a coin at 1 satoshi... i would be holding about  30 M coins.. now transfer out to my wallet.. and wait... market spikes to 20...then 50... then 75... then 115... in which case i slowly deposit around 5M for every spike... does that mean my account gets marked as a multipool account and i lose my coins?
What if i was a miner with 3 mh/s... mining kitteh when it was at 0.2 difficulty (1 satoshi price) and the millions in my wallet

If an exchange goes this route i can pretty much be sure that it wont ever be a large exchange.. because.. it will end up killing the market  as no medium to large investors or miners would ever be willing to risk making an exchange on that website not even for 0% fees.

What helps a coin to not die.. is its community...the community which sticks with the coin even when price has crashed.. Everyone is in such a rush to get listed on the 3 C's hoping to make a quick buck... that they forget,  getting all three accomplished when the coin only a small foothold in the cryptocurrency market is a quick route to a fast and painful death...

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Noble:9ZQo8HaeCjporC7T4PFgVcqzXc5KLyGrnV
LOT: LzUoeyakB8DRoHgqMgHSWMzipW5Nr63zkg
BTC: 1EiY4FqGbbfL6VUhiVLe8Z5R7BVVyyLTmw
LTC: LaGJ2utSYG4bhQ882mJ8QkS1bq45p25vcD
wn666

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:36:19 PM

This what we are talking about, is to set up some rules, not the limits. Eeach democratic system has some rules, otherwise it is total anarchy. Someone who brake the rules, should be just punished. Try to manipulate some share on the real stock exchange in democratic country, then you will see, how fast police will come to your house.

So not only should exchanges be police, but also they should punish? Should exchanges set prices also? Once you open this door....
cryptoatc

Activity: 113

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:37:27 PM

Wow

230BTC volume on coinmarketio
coinmarket.io

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:38:26 PM

Volume data for LEAF/BTC:

Total: 725 BTC
Last 24h: 232 BTC
Last 12h: 188 BTC
Last 4h: 105 BTC
sakkosekk

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:39:59 PM

Multipools are like gangs(group of people collaborating towards a common goal) and society protects you against gangs. But it is like wn666 says, if we go down that road, when will it stop? I myself do not like regulations.
Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:40:36 PM

voted for Kimoto  Smiley
Thrash

Activity: 519
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:41:17 PM

Is leaf.hash.so appears to be having problems. I am getting a worker temporarily banned message. Means I have been hashing for nothing I guess. Sent a support ticket 3 hours ago and have heard nothing. At that time at least they were still accepting shares.
Time to move on I guess.

On another note, turning this thread into nothing but a gripe session about multi-pools is not going to help this coin. It is just a big turn off to any new people looking at it. Enough already. The multi-pool is a fact of life, even if we don't like it. Implementing changes in the coin to help is the only way to fight them. Everyone wants to talk about how high the hash power is, but doesn't want the MP's to mine. Really? Sorry that does not make much sense. My guess is a fair amount of the hash is coming from hashcows, so, do away with them and your hash rate drops too. Can't have ytour cake and eat it too.

Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:44:16 PM

voted for Kimoto  Smiley

nvm you edited.

yup , you quoted me fast before I edited  Wink
terracide

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:48:42 PM

I do not know if you can implement a protection soon enough...   Kimoto implementation will probably not be ready before block halving.
mmilch
Copper Member

Activity: 343
Merit: 11

Secure automatic trading trade-mate.io

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 05:49:20 PM

So not only should exchanges be police, but also they should punish? Should exchanges set prices also? Once you open this door....

Maybe one day will come to this. Anyway I'm sure that people prefer to be protected against the thieves and manipulators

⚫ ⚫ ⚫ Make even more profit on crypto trading with secure automatic trading https://trade-mate.io ⚫ ⚫ ⚫
Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 323 »
  Print  

Jump to: