Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:37:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ram Upgrade  (Read 1026 times)
justmyname (OP)

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:32:45 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2013, 10:04:25 PM by justmyname

If Armory makes your computer slow I recommend upgrading your Ram if possible. My computer Laptop only had 2 slots. The salesman said it couldn't be upgraded. But I researched on the net and found I could get two 4GB cards instead of my two 2 GB. Now it works normal even with RAM hog Armory downloading the block chain. Problem solved.  Cheesy  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justmyname (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:42:51 PM

Last night I ran the computer all night. It said it was done but Armory wouldn't close or open! I tried to restart my computer but Armory wouldn't close down and I lost the data! After the restart it was starting all over again. When it reached 80% it slowed down to a crawl as always.  Roll Eyes

After the Ram upgrade it was done in 10 minutes. Now I'm done downloading the Blockchain and have a working online wallet.  Cheesy  
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 07:42:12 PM

Care to name your OS?

justmyname (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 08:42:26 PM

Care to name your OS?

Windows 7 64bit.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:03:01 PM

But I researched on the net and found I could get two 4GHZ cards instead of my two 2 GHZ. 
Do you mean 4GB and 2GB?

Re: Ram Uprade
Do you mean upgrade?

I'm not a spelling and grammar nazi, I swear!  Wink

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
justmyname (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 10:11:57 PM

But I researched on the net and found I could get two 4GHZ cards instead of my two 2 GHZ.  
Do you mean 4GB and 2GB?

Do you mean upgrade?

I'm not a spelling and grammar nazi, I swear!  Wink

Yes. I meant Gigabyte instead of Gigahertz. It has been corrected.

As an update. After shutting the program off for about a half hour it took about 20 minutes. To get the synch and block chain completed. So it's useable. Won't have to upgrade to the new easy on RAM  version if I don't want. And my computer is not slowed down at all by Armory. 
xephyr

Activity: 285

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 08:56:25 PM

Do you mean 4GB and 2GB?

Do you mean upgrade?

As an update. After shutting the program off for about a half hour it took about 20 minutes. To get the synch and block chain completed. So it's useable. Won't have to upgrade to the new easy on RAM  version if I don't want. And my computer is not slowed down at all by Armory. 

From my experience 8 GB RAM total is minimal for Armory 88.1 on Windows 7 box. Runs like a champ with 16 GB RAM though. Don't be surprised if you have to upgrade to 16 GB RAM. Unless the promised Armory update to reduce RAM usage arrives soon.
justmyname (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 04:02:10 PM

Do you mean 4GB and 2GB?

Do you mean upgrade?

From my experience 8 GB RAM total is minimal for Armory 88.1 on Windows 7 box. Runs like a champ with 16 GB RAM though. Don't be surprised if you have to upgrade to 16 GB RAM. Unless the promised Armory update to reduce RAM usage arrives soon.

I guess it depends on variables like how efficiently the RAM is being utilized. I have 8 GB of physical memory but I also have 15.6 GB of virtual memory (guessing it has to do with dual  core shared memory).  Then how fast is the processor? Mine is 2.56 GHZ. Do you have a bad virus program slowing down your Computer? Etc Etc Etc.

By the time the block chain gets too big I will hopefully be using the new version.
nothingeverworks

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:41:15 AM

Is 6gig or ram going to be a good middle ground?  I have a 2gb lying around and bought a 4gb not to long ago.

Just running the 4gb stick now (32bit) and even with windows only seeing 3gig worth, still rarely go over the 50% mark. Really don't want to spend the money to go for 8gig just for amory only.

I always have a taskbar full of icons and constantly switching between. So it's not like I'm just checking email, close down and open internet explorer, close down and open kingsoft office...

Kind of annoying that it always takes 20mins or more to 'build databases". Not only that but can hear my hd grinding away for the entire time.  Or maybe the solution is to run it while taking a shower, or making dinner Smiley
Automatic

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 09:39:01 PM

Is 6gig or ram going to be a good middle ground?  I have a 2gb lying around and bought a 4gb not to long ago.

Just running the 4gb stick now (32bit) and even with windows only seeing 3gig worth, still rarely go over the 50% mark. Really don't want to spend the money to go for 8gig just for amory only.

I always have a taskbar full of icons and constantly switching between. So it's not like I'm just checking email, close down and open internet explorer, close down and open kingsoft office...

Kind of annoying that it always takes 20mins or more to 'build databases". Not only that but can hear my hd grinding away for the entire time.  Or maybe the solution is to run it while taking a shower, or making dinner Smiley

As someone running 12GB RAM (And, having Armory only use about 400MB total (Including BitcoinD)), it still takes ~ 20 minutes on first boot. Nothing you can do.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 09:46:06 PM

Are you scanning the chain on every start with 0.90? This is a bug, we have fixes ready for the next version.

misterspoon

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:50:06 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 07:15:02 PM by misterspoon

Seems that the building databases stage takes about 20mins.

The downloading of the updates for blockchain makes sense. Just the second part makes me wonder. Still takes about 5 minutes of hd grinding away after open program and can actually do anything.  That is closing the program and opening back up a few minutes later. Not sure if this is normal or costs of not using bitcoind.exe instead... More curious than anything. As I mentioned above, can choose the appropriate timing. Just if want to actually spend the coins, then bit of a hassle is all.  The grinding noise, not the waiting time. If it could do it all in ram and not max out my system for 20mins, then thats fine.

Was running a previous version that would crash because didn't have enough ram. Had to wait till this or (0.88?) version in order to use hd space instead. Or something along those lines.
Currently  Running 0.89.99-16 beta now

First gen intel i5 quad (2.5ghz)
4gig ram, of which until I see 3gig retinstall as 64bit windows and possible at in another 3gig stick.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: