Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:32:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL: Hardware Wallet?!  (Read 1848 times)
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:18:33 AM

I won't give BFL any of my money unless Josh personally gives me a rim job first. Oh, that should also include a reach around and a slurpy tea bag.

Be careful what you wish for  Grin
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:20:43 AM

I think in practice hardware wallets can't exactly work in such a way that you just buy a turnkey product right off the shelf in this manner. There is no way of knowing that the random number seeding isn't compromised in some way that allows the manufacturer to issue pre-determined private keys. As such you really can't trust a product like that any more than you might a web wallet that stores keys server-side.

The only way a product like this actually makes sense in my opinion as any kind of secure wallet is if the manufacturer produces the unit as a hardware platform with a completely open and documented API, and open-sources the software in such a way that you can confirm the checksum against an independently-compiled build, or where the process of initializing the device involves compiling yourself and loading the binaries directly onto the device.

I'm not tech savy enough to know if it meets the requirements you just listed, but what are your thoughts on trezor.  I believe they are open source.   http://www.bitcointrezor.com/

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:25:10 AM

I think in practice hardware wallets can't exactly work in such a way that you just buy a turnkey product right off the shelf in this manner. There is no way of knowing that the random number seeding isn't compromised in some way that allows the manufacturer to issue pre-determined private keys. As such you really can't trust a product like that any more than you might a web wallet that stores keys server-side.

The only way a product like this actually makes sense in my opinion as any kind of secure wallet is if the manufacturer produces the unit as a hardware platform with a completely open and documented API, and open-sources the software in such a way that you can confirm the checksum against an independently-compiled build, or where the process of initializing the device involves compiling yourself and loading the binaries directly onto the device.

I'm not tech savy enough to know if it meets the requirements you just listed, but what are your thoughts on trezor.  I believe they are open source.   http://www.bitcointrezor.com/

Trezor is indeed open source, and looks excellent. Launch got delayed from October to January, which will probably turn to February, but as long as they deliver a solid product, all good. Not sure the price though?
AmericanBit

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:55:03 AM

I won't give BFL any of my money unless Josh personally gives me a rim job first. Oh, that should also include a reach around and a slurpy tea bag.

hahaha, I need a slurpy tea bag from josh too...
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 05:35:07 AM

What I know about this is:

They were hoping to sell them for $40, but the E-Ink screen turned out to be so expensive that they'll likely have to sell it for $140.
The device will be waterproof, with the internal circuitry sprayed with a sealant. Hopefully this means that it can be safely washed in a washing machine (albeit accidentally).
They plan to include bluetooth, which will let it use your phone's 3G connection to broadcast bitcoin transactions instantly (no WiFi though).
Since this has both a screen to display QR codes, and a camera in the back, you will be able to do offline transactions without needing to be connected to the web. First device that gets a web connection will transmit all cached transactions (this is partially supported by Schildbach Android Wallet too btw).
There will be a MicroSD slot, which you can use for multi-sig. You can store private keys on different SD cards, and spending from a multi-sig address will require you to plug in all SD Cards that have the required private keys one at a time.
Blame this on me if I get this wrong, but estimated ready to sell time is by the end of Spring or some time this Summer.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: