Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:37:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PC trading : prevent security hack?  (Read 69 times)
lucette2.0 (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 04:14:36 AM

Hello,

I would like your thought and advice regarding pc trading to prevent security hack?

1/Use Cable Ethernet (no wifi connexion)

2/Create à virtual machine in which i’m Going to install Linux cuz as I heard window is not so good in term of security

3/Use vpn : which is the best for trading pc?

4/Bookmark exchange website that i use and double check that the website address in the search bar are in the same

5/2FA Google Authenticator

I heard about RDP (Remore Desktop control),
What do u think? Is it really neccessary ?

Thanks all for sharing your input

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 07:04:08 AM

Wired internet connections have fewer attack vectors than wireless ones, but they're generally just as safe as one another if setup correctly. You can go either way, really.

2/Create à virtual machine in which i’m Going to install Linux cuz as I heard window is not so good in term of security

It'll be better than just using Windows, but your Windows machine could still become compromised. Just using Linux (or dual booting, to a lesser extent) would be better, if possible.

Anything that doesn't log your activity. A company that isn't based on countries that can subpoena data would be ideal.

4/Bookmark exchange website that i use and double check that the website address in the search bar are in the same

Bookmarking is good practice, and so is using 2FA for everything that supports it. Make sure you don't use an online wallet, and don't leave money in exchanges.

What would you need RDP for? If you don't even want to use Wifi because of security risks, you probably shouldn't be using RDP lmao.

lucette2.0 (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 07:24:45 AM

Thanks for your detailing feedback

Help a lot

As Windows can be compromise easily, i’m Going to change my software machine from window to Linux

I didn’t know that wired internet connexion also have fewer attack too damn
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 08:02:34 AM

As Windows can be compromise easily, i’m Going to change my software machine from window to Linux

Good choice!

I didn’t know that wired internet connexion also have fewer attack too damn

Only because the potential attacker would need physical access to your modem to intercept it, as opposed to an attacker needing to be a few feet from your modem on a wireless connection. If you're using a wireless router (with Wifi on) with your wired connection anyway, I don't think there would be any difference lol. Wifi is generally safe, you shouldn't strain yourself over it.

kiemnhieutien

Activity: 490
Merit: 17

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 08:10:53 AM

Hello,

I would like your thought and advice regarding pc trading to prevent security hack?

Thanks all for sharing your input
4 and 5 work. bookmark help you to avoid fishing sites. And 2FA help to protect your account, even though when the hackers have your account ID and password, they still can't log in.

Didn't work at all. It's about how you setup your internet connection, not about using cable or wireless.
Linux is only safer than Windows if its user is a tech-guy. If you don't have any knowledge about Linux, so just use Windows.
VPN: your exchange account may be got locked due to the exchange rules. Most exchanges don't accept vpn.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: