Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:29:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nenolod, the guy that wants to prove Bitcoin doesn't work.  (Read 37802 times)
redengin

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2010, 05:18:10 AM

i also believe that aspect of bitcoin serves as a detractor towards using it, simply because many businesses do not want to be associated with crazy libertarian government conspiracy views.  but frankly, the politics do not matter, what matters is the underlying system, and that is mostly sound.

there is a person on the IRC channel, you may know him Smiley  his name is Diablo-D3.  many people i know who have looked at bitcoin for their projects run away because they get a vibe that the project is in general filled up with people who are like Diablo-D3 Smiley

I second this.  The channel's snr falls to zero when these ppl stumble in, to pose their poorly understood rants on monetary policy and devotion to bitcoin.  Its getting to the point that some people are treating the hashing of a block as some sort of personal achievement, which will make that first trade tantamount to giving up their first born.  Hard to imagine the market taking off with this kind of logic anchoring it in place.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 25, 2010, 06:12:48 AM

""I ran bitcoin for two weeks and all I got were two roasted balls!" "

FTW

Want to thank me for this post? Donate here! Flip your coins over to: 13Cq8AmdrqewatRxEyU2xNuMvegbaLCvEe  Smiley
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2010, 01:38:14 AM

The whole episode seems to have turned out in favor of BitCoin, and not against it :-)

Nenolod apparently has some plans for us and his BitCoins, and I'm curious on what he will do  Grin

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Anonymous

July 28, 2010, 02:48:00 AM

The whole episode seems to have turned out in favor of BitCoin, and not against it :-)

Nenolod apparently has some plans for us and his BitCoins, and I'm curious on what he will do  Grin

Probably establish a game like wow using bitcoins as currency.He mentioned that bitcoins are the perfect virtual money for that type of thing.
throughput

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 08:20:08 AM

Probably establish a game like wow using bitcoins as currency.He mentioned that bitcoins are the perfect virtual money for that type of thing.
He may aswell, just disintegrate that bitcoins. Just for fun.
How many bitcoins does he own now?
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 08:50:29 AM

No one can disintegrate bitcoins even if it were fun. The only thing you can do is decide NOT to spend them. Whoopee! What a blast!

It really doesn't matter how many coins he is NOT circulating. What's important are the ones which are.
Anonymous

July 28, 2010, 10:00:41 AM

Bitcoins never leave you unlike your wife lol
throughput

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 01:04:52 PM

No one can disintegrate bitcoins even if it were fun. The only thing you can do is decide NOT to spend them. Whoopee! What a blast!

It really doesn't matter how many coins he is NOT circulating. What's important are the ones which are.

So, I can't send coins to a random BitCoin address, so they become blocked forever?
And disintegrated for me.
And that will reduce the volume, that is circulating.
And the total volume is limited, curculating or not.
How much value may he collect over time?
Red

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 03:11:20 PM

So, I can't send coins to a random BitCoin address, so they become blocked forever?
And disintegrated for me.
And that will reduce the volume, that is circulating.
And the total volume is limited, curculating or not.
How much value may he collect over time?

Assigning coins to no one, is exactly equivalent to hoarding them. Which is exactly equivalent to losing your wallet keys.
The result is the same. No one will notice or care. If you are having trouble grasping this

No one knows what coins he has. No one is begging him for them because no one needs them. So if he hoards them or loses them it makes no difference.

Now if he were to spend them, he might have some effect on supply and demand. But NOT SPENDING them can have no effect, the lack of his coins is already priced into the market as they say.
throughput

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 04:26:45 PM

Assigning coins to no one, is exactly equivalent to hoarding them. Which is exactly equivalent to losing your wallet keys.
The result is the same. No one will notice or care. If you are having trouble grasping this
Oh, really. And you see no difference in the long run between hoarding of very large quantities of $$ and putting them all of fire?
If you burn 10 teradollars, then you will make America happier, since no one will notice or care, that somebody's federal reserve is printing extra 10 Tdollars.
But if you suddenly buy currencies or securities for all of your hoarded 10Tdollars, I hope everybody know what happens?

This is different with BitCoin, since the system need some coins to operate and their number is limited.
I just was curious about whether someone is able to collect significant amounts of coins.
It seems, that you believe that is not possible, anyway, thanks for your answer and patience dealing with people like me.

Red

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 05:24:33 PM

Oh, really. And you see no difference in the long run between hoarding of very large quantities of $$ and putting them all of fire?
I don't have to see it. Mathematically there is no difference.

This is different with BitCoin, since the system need some coins to operate and their number is limited.
Coins are not limited. You can trade 1/10 of a coin as easily as you can trade 10 coins.

I just was curious about whether someone is able to collect significant amounts of coins.
It seems, that you believe that is not possible, anyway, thanks for your answer and patience dealing with people like me.
It is well known that one person has 10% of all existing coins. Most are being "hoarded" because he is developing a new venture that requires the coins as collateral. If his venture were to fail before it started and he were to "burn" his wallet with 10% of all existing bitcoins. NOBODY WOULD NOTICE! Nobody knew he had the coins until he told us. If he had never told us, the math is no different.

If he decided to sell them all at once the market would notice. But nothing happens if someone takes NO action.

Consider the obvious. By definition the bitcoin system has 21,000,000 BTC of value. Currently 3,500,000'ish is available to circulate if it wants to.

That means that 17,500,000 is being hoarded by the BitCoin reserve to be trickled out over time. It makes no difference if it is being hoarded in a bitcoin address or outside a bitcoin address. (In fact I'd have to examine the code to know for sure.)

If all the users decided that trickling the coins out was stupid and we should put a stop to it. It still wouldn't matter. The system would continue to trade with 3,500,000 total coins rather than 21,000,000.

Absolutely no one would notice, EXCEPT those people who wanted to get bitcoins for free. That is a "social" dynamic, not a monetary dynamic.

Red

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 05:30:24 PM

I can't explain this to you any better.
I can only explain it to you LOUDER.

If you are still unclear on the concepts, you'll have to look to someone else.
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2010, 07:27:01 PM

It is well known that one person has 10% of all existing coins. Most are being "hoarded" because he is developing a new venture that requires the coins as collateral. If his venture were to fail before it started and he were to "burn" his wallet with 10% of all existing bitcoins. NOBODY WOULD NOTICE! Nobody knew he had the coins until he told us. If he had never told us, the math is no different.

If he decided to sell them all at once the market would notice. But nothing happens if someone takes NO action.
A side point, it's now a lot more economical to buy them off the market/members than it is to generate them. So as this month ends, all the server time that was being used will be slowly fazed out (as it has been for 1 week now) and the difficulty still continues to remain high so interest in Bit Coin continues to remain high around the world from what I'm seeing.

In case anyone was curious, the servers were made up of about -330- 64bit ( 8 )-core Xeon processor systems that all ranged from Linux to Windows along with another 20 special systems that ranged from 8 to 64 core systems running various flavors and windows and Linux. After the end of this month, it will just fall back to a half dozen 8-core servers to keep the daemons running for testing and keeping the BitCoin network going of course  Wink

A month of running all of those servers 24/7 produced a lot of coin of course, but it's been a better process just to purchase it (and faster, less maintenance) and now with the difficulty much higher than it was last month, it's more economical just to buy it from the market sites. So unless the difficulty falls back down below single digits, I'll be glad to not have to worry about monitoring that many servers in the future.  Grin

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
Red

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 07:48:33 PM

That is pretty awe inspiring!  You didn't assemble all those machines for this project did you?

Were some of them cloud machines (like amazon ecc?)

I'm hoping you'll give some details on your project soon. I've got some anonymous banking ideas if you want to share.
knightmb

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2010, 08:38:20 PM

That is pretty awe inspiring!  You didn't assemble all those machines for this project did you?

Were some of them cloud machines (like amazon ecc?)

I'm hoping you'll give some details on your project soon. I've got some anonymous banking ideas if you want to share.
Machines from about a dozen different hosting companies around the US here. Basically, each machine rented for between $19 to 50 a month, so this is the last month for their rental and the next month we won't be renewing the rental. I did try some Amazon cloud machines, but they ended up being nearly the same speed as the other servers we were renting for the price. I could rent a Amazon instance for about a $1 / hour to churn 10,000 khash/s but then I could rent a server from another hosting company for an entire month for $19.99 and it could churn close to 7,000 khash/s so using Amazon didn't make economical sense; an entire day of hashing was the same price as an entire month of hashing at another hosting service.

There were some special machines that were rented from some hosting centers in GA that had a lot of cores and mainly we used idle time (since it was cheaper, it would really burn up the khash at night when the server load was nearly non-existent)

And then course, just go out and buy the Bit Coin through the market place and members here  Wink (thanks to everyone willing to part with their BTC for USD)

Overall, the server farms only churned out about 1/3 of the total, the other 2/3 was bought over the last few months from members and the market websites. Some members here even gave me a large chunk at no cost simply because they were early adopters and didn't know what else to do with large amounts they had generated early on. So it paid off for me to try and contact all the early adopters of Bit Coin.

Ground Loop

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 11:05:35 PM

That's very fascinating insight,  knightmb.  Some incredible machines on-tap.    I have been doing a lot of btc-per-energy calculations, but outright renting cores for off-peak khash is taking it to the next level.

At the current difficulty level, I've stopped all coin generation on machines where I pay for power or cooling.  Even the highest-end i7 machines had enough of a delta between idle/light-load and full steam that it was not worth the marginal cost.  Not by a longshot.

Recovering bulk coins from the dusty wallets of early adopters is very clever.  Smiley

Bitcoin accepted here: 1HrAmQk9EuH3Ak6ugsw3qi3g23DG6YUNPq
knightmb

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2010, 01:25:30 AM

That's very fascinating insight,  knightmb.  Some incredible machines on-tap.    I have been doing a lot of btc-per-energy calculations, but outright renting cores for off-peak khash is taking it to the next level.

At the current difficulty level, I've stopped all coin generation on machines where I pay for power or cooling.  Even the highest-end i7 machines had enough of a delta between idle/light-load and full steam that it was not worth the marginal cost.  Not by a longshot.

Recovering bulk coins from the dusty wallets of early adopters is very clever.  Smiley
Same for me, I had a set budget by the investors and doing another month of servers at the current difficulty just isn't economical anymore when I can buy it from the market/members here for much less now. On top of that, the amount gathered should be more than enough to start with. If things take off, then it just means everyone's BTC will be worth more since I'll have to raid all the market sites again.  Grin

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2010, 01:30:26 AM

Same for me, I had a set budget by the investors and doing another month of servers at the current difficulty just isn't economical anymore when I can buy it from the market/members here for much less now. On top of that, the amount gathered should be more than enough to start with. If things take off, then it just means everyone's BTC will be worth more since I'll have to raid all the market sites again.  Grin

Considering the size you are interested in how are you guessing what price you will have to pay? The markets are thin compared to what you want you may drive the price considerably.

I don't mean to imply you haven't considered this, you sound like you've got it together, I'm just interested in your thoughts.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Anonymous

July 29, 2010, 03:54:10 AM

Now i know why my last lot of bitcoin sales went through so fast!

Cheesy
knightmb

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2010, 04:35:27 AM

Now i know why my last lot of bitcoin sales went through so fast!

Cheesy
Yeah, I noticed a lot of those sales were going to the same e-mail address over and over  Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: