Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:23:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Overclock the Antminer S1 to 200GH/s] The EASY way! - updated to 393.75MHz ASIC  (Read 26024 times)
twib2

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Helperizer

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:26:05 PM

I followed this and my antminer shut off immediately when I restarted cgminer.  It then would shut down whenever I powered it up.  I thought maybe the PSU wasn't powerful enough even though it's a 750w and I thought after OCing they pull 550?  So I tried unplugging blade 2 and blade one booted up and mined perfectly.  It was hashing at slightly over 100 Ghash.  I then just loaded in the factory settings and plugged blade 2 back in.  Working as it was.  So...for anyone who runs into the same issue that's how you fix it lol.

My question is, does anyone know why the 750w PSU wasn't enough?  Do you have any recommendations on what PSU to use to OC it to 400?

Two things:

1) Not all xxxW PSUs are equal, not by a long shot.  I had one situation where a 750W could power two cubes, but another 850W could only power one.

2) You might just have a blade that can't quite make the 400MHz - there's no guarantees that they can OC.  That said, if it's the blade, then I'd check your heatsink and TIM or paste on that one.  What temps do you normally see?

Cryptsy Exchange        bcmon: Monitor all your miners in one place!            BTC tips: 1GY9wmMmw1E7DPLzQXt4UPuEuHQN29PixD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thebeesknees

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:31:55 PM

I followed this and my antminer shut off immediately when I restarted cgminer.  It then would shut down whenever I powered it up.  I thought maybe the PSU wasn't powerful enough even though it's a 750w and I thought after OCing they pull 550?  So I tried unplugging blade 2 and blade one booted up and mined perfectly.  It was hashing at slightly over 100 Ghash.  I then just loaded in the factory settings and plugged blade 2 back in.  Working as it was.  So...for anyone who runs into the same issue that's how you fix it lol.

My question is, does anyone know why the 750w PSU wasn't enough?  Do you have any recommendations on what PSU to use to OC it to 400?

Two things:

1) Not all xxxW PSUs are equal, not by a long shot.  I had one situation where a 750W could power two cubes, but another 850W could only power one.

2) You might just have a blade that can't quite make the 400MHz - there's no guarantees that they can OC.  That said, if it's the blade, then I'd check your heatsink and TIM or paste on that one.  What temps do you normally see?

It had been running for 24 hours at a constant 40-41 degrees.  This is prior to overclocking.

When I ran just blade one it ran for about 2 minutes at 100 GHash and 400MHz so maybe it's blade 2 that's the issue?

This is the PSU I have...

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-NEX750G-Certified-120-PG-0750-GR/dp/B009YC3EAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390947897&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+gold+750w
palawan (OP)

Activity: 386

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:37:58 AM

I use corsair cx 650 And corsair cx 750m for my 2 Ants OCed 400mhz.  You need single rail 12v with 42A to be safe for OC. Sounds like power supply problem, but dunno for sure. 100ghs per blade sounds right.  Multiple rails on the 12v not good.

halu
twib2

Activity: 280

Helperizer

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:41:11 AM

It had been running for 24 hours at a constant 40-41 degrees.  This is prior to overclocking.

When I ran just blade one it ran for about 2 minutes at 100 GHash and 400MHz so maybe it's blade 2 that's the issue?

This is the PSU I have...

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-NEX750G-Certified-120-PG-0750-GR/dp/B009YC3EAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390947897&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+gold+750w

Aha, that's a 4-rail-12V power supply, none of which has greater than 20A on it.  So, my guess is, yes, it's a power supply problem.  I'd take it back and exchange for a single-rail 12V power supply that has at least 45A on the single +12V rail.  That should do it!

Cryptsy Exchange        bcmon: Monitor all your miners in one place!            BTC tips: 1GY9wmMmw1E7DPLzQXt4UPuEuHQN29PixD
8bitslacker

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:47:17 PM

Nice guide! I may try this out when I get home. I do have a question, though. Do you know if it is possible to go with a higher OC speed than the 400mhz (using proper cooling, of course) I was thinking about a liquid cooling setup of some kind.

Thanks!
Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:40:51 PM

I followed this and my antminer shut off immediately when I restarted cgminer.  It then would shut down whenever I powered it up.  I thought maybe the PSU wasn't powerful enough even though it's a 750w and I thought after OCing they pull 550?  So I tried unplugging blade 2 and blade one booted up and mined perfectly.  It was hashing at slightly over 100 Ghash.  I then just loaded in the factory settings and plugged blade 2 back in.  Working as it was.  So...for anyone who runs into the same issue that's how you fix it lol.

My question is, does anyone know why the 750w PSU wasn't enough?  Do you have any recommendations on what PSU to use to OC it to 400?

1. assume a 100-200W "overhead" for 3.3V and 5V on sub 1kW non Gamer PSUs
2. cheap supplies almost never deliver whats on the box
3. look for single rail and check the product specs for max 12v load on these
multi-rail psu often give high numbers per rail but they wont apply combined
4. if avaiable check the datasheet for "load on 12v" versus "combined load"
5. all pcie + molex are on the same rail in some ones - use the 6pin/8pin eps plug for the second blade

7. or just get a server power supply - they are 10x cheaper and more efficient anyway Grin
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:35:40 PM

I must say I'm divided on the psu issue now that I've had a chance to test a little...

Bought my first miner with the red & black 12V connectors on the boards and ran it off an Antec Neo Eco 520C 80+ bronze which has a single 12V rail delivering 480W at 40A and got mad hardware errors at 400mhz so clocked it down thinking it was the power supply.
I then bought an Antec 750W High Current Pro 80+ Gold which has 4 12V rails delivering 744W at 40A per rail and the hardware errors were only slightly reduced but it was still not worth running at 400mhz.

So, I bought a second miner now with the yellow and black 12V connectors and connected it to the 520C and clocked it to 400mhz and it's rock solid with <1% errors:

In the end; same 520W PSU, 2 different generation miners and completely different results, one with >6% errors and one with 0.6% errors at 400mhz... go figure!

I also notice on the newer miner the fan runs faster as it seems to want to keep the boards around 40o whereas the older miner will keep them around 45o... I guess there must have been an update to the PWM management software?

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
palawan (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:47:16 AM

Nice guide! I may try this out when I get home. I do have a question, though. Do you know if it is possible to go with a higher OC speed than the 400mhz (using proper cooling, of course) I was thinking about a liquid cooling setup of some kind.

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment!  Personally; I wouldn't try going over the 400MHz/200GH/s speed.  There's comments in the goxed original overclocking thread mainly to do with the voltage regulator on the board (S1 blades).  I'm very happy with the performance of the Antminer S1, myself.  I have 2 of them now  Cheesy   I might add 1 more, if the price goes to 1 btc (currently 1.45 btc on the Bitmaintech website), but that's my limit as I'm about to pop the circuit on the 120V/15A outlet I have them plugged into.

halu
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:03:37 AM

the easiest way to oc the antminer is just modifying asic-freq directly...rofl
If you are not familiar w/ vi as an editor then just go to the webgui and install nano
then use nano to edit asic-freq....

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
palawan (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:11:15 AM

the easiest way to oc the antminer is just modifying asic-freq directly...rofl
If you are not familiar w/ vi as an editor then just go to the webgui and install nano
then use nano to edit asic-freq....

nano FTW!

halu
kaimee

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:10:59 AM

*****  This doesn't work with earlier versions of the Antminer S1.  Check your asic-freq first if you have the older version Antminer S1.  Ask here or pm me on how to check.  *****

Here's an easy way to oc the Antminer S1.  Disclaimers: I'm not responsible for any damages that may result from following these instructions.  This will void the Antminer S1 3-month warranty.   Cheesy

If you want to see a youtube video on how it works; here it is:  How to Overclock the Antminer S1 bitcoin miner [the EASY way]

• 1.  ssh to your Antminer  (i.e. ssh root@192.168.1.111)
  • 2.  copy and paste everything inside the code box
Code:
clear
cd /etc/config
mv asic-freq asic-freq.BitmaintechFactoryVersion
wget -O asic-freq http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/u8thhaxuksnhlw0/asic-freq.400MHz
wget -O asic-freq.375MHz http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/9yuq14py6sou2w3/asic-freq.375MHz
wget -O asic-freq.350MHz http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/o8590pne9clm348/asic-freq.350MHz
chmod 664 asic-freq
chmod 664 asic-freq.3*
ls -la asic-freq*

• 3. reboot the Ant

Let me know if you have any questions or wish to switch between ASIC speeds (i.e. 180GH/s is 350MHz, ~190GH/s is 375MHz).

-jeremy

Sorry to be a noob but to revert the changes would the following command work or is there more to it?

Code:
cd /etc/config
mv asic-freq asic-freq.400
mv asic-freq.BitmaintechFactoryVersion asic-freq

This is great BTW, works perfectly!
Now I've got my head around manually editing the config file I'd like to try different values and whenever I attempt to enter the asic-freq file, it appears empty so I'd like to go back to stock (for now)  Wink

Thanks!
btc_jumpnrl

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:23:00 AM

I'm sure your method works but its not like the directions @ https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=348327.msg3915400#msg3915400 are any more or less complicated really.

Tips: 1H1DF3BzFF2CVhPB4psEghg4bF5VYDseBT
palawan (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:57:05 AM

snipped...

Sorry to be a noob but to revert the changes would the following command work or is there more to it?

Code:
cd /etc/config

Now I've got my head around manually editing the config file I'd like to try different values and whenever I attempt to enter the asic-freq file, it appears empty so I'd like to go back to stock (for now)  Wink

Thanks!

Yes, that is the method to go back!  If I may make a suggestion, I would do this:

ssh to the miner
Code:
cd /etc/config
mv asic-freq.350MHz asic-freq

Personally, I don't like to mess with the original files from the factory and I just like to work with copies.  The only reason I can think of that you're getting an empty file when you're trying to enter the asic-freq file is that you're not in the /etc/config folder.

ssh to the miner
Code:
cd /etc/config
ls -la asic-freq*
less asic-freq.BitmaintechFactoryVersion
less asic-freq.350MHz     <--  if you haven't renamed it.  if you have, use asic-freq
vi asic-freq   <---  only enter when ready for vi  :D

less command is just to display (not edit) the file.  You can move up and down using the arrow keys.  Q to exit.  vi can be difficult to move around so don't enter it unless you know the shortcuts or you can get stuck in it.  I like nano more as a text editor but it's not on the Ant miner, unless you install it.  There's shortcut keys/guides on the internet.

Good luck!

halu
freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:58:12 AM

what are you guys using to power your ants?

If theres a thread, plz redirect me.

E2A - im using an OCZ-RZ1000W AE to power 2 rigs.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=379677.260

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
kaimee

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:34:13 PM

Thanks that's great! Wink

snipped...

Code:
cd /etc/config

Thanks!

Yes, that is the method to go back!  If I may make a suggestion, I would do this:

ssh to the miner
Code:
cd /etc/config
mv asic-freq.350MHz asic-freq

Personally, I don't like to mess with the original files from the factory and I just like to work with copies.  The only reason I can think of that you're getting an empty file when you're trying to enter the asic-freq file is that you're not in the /etc/config folder.

ssh to the miner
Code:
cd /etc/config
ls -la asic-freq*
less asic-freq.BitmaintechFactoryVersion
less asic-freq.350MHz     <--  if you haven't renamed it.  if you have, use asic-freq
vi asic-freq   <---  only enter when ready for vi  :D

less command is just to display (not edit) the file.  You can move up and down using the arrow keys.  Q to exit.  vi can be difficult to move around so don't enter it unless you know the shortcuts or you can get stuck in it.  I like nano more as a text editor but it's not on the Ant miner, unless you install it.  There's shortcut keys/guides on the internet.

Good luck!

Biontic

Activity: 121

HodL tight, it's gonna get wild

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 10:50:51 AM

Here's an easy way to oc the Antminer S1.
Let me know if you have any questions or wish to switch between ASIC speeds (i.e. 180GH/s is 350MHz, ~190GH/s is 375MHz).

-jeremy

Hey jeremy, thanks for this, super easy, much appreciated. OC' 4 ant's in minutes.

Has anyone else recieved a BAD ant, and by that I mean, the HW numbers seem incredibly high to me

The second one was running at 400 Mhz, so I took it back down to 375.
Even after i De-clocked to 375 mhz - I am still seeing crazy numbers
Accepts @ 7,357 - HW @ 14,038  WTF?
Is there something I am missing here?
any way to manage this?
and how does it affect the return?
Thanks

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
 Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." ~George Bernard Shaw
mitak64

Activity: 254

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:33:28 PM

You should not just look at the absolute value of your HW.
This number by itself means nothing.
Btw, "Accepted" is not what you should be looking at either  Wink
What's important, is HW compared to your total number of shares.
You total is = HW+DIffA+DiffR+DiffS
This is the sum of your HW error + Accepted + Rejected +Stale shares
It's been mentioned many times here, the formula is HW/(HW+DIffA+DiffR+DiffS)
In your case it is ~ 3.7%
Not alarming, but a but too much for my liking, I'm keeping mine at no more than 1%
So you should probably lower the clock even more.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:41:38 PM

Does anyone have the config parameters to run these at 375 MHz? Apparently not every unit will overclock well at 400 MHz.
wedgy2k

Activity: 329
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:46:38 PM

Does anyone have the config parameters to run these at 375 MHz? Apparently not every unit will overclock well at 400 MHz.

option 'freq_value'     '4e81'  #375M
option 'chip_freq'      '375'        
option 'timeout'        '37’

**Disclaimer
I got this off of the goxed thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=348327.0
and have not yet implemented them myself**

palawan (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 07:01:50 PM

Here's an easy way to oc the Antminer S1.

-jeremy

Hey jeremy, thanks for this, super easy, much appreciated. OC' 4 ant's in minutes.

Has anyone else recieved a BAD ant, and by that I mean, the HW numbers seem incredibly high to me

The second one was running at 400 Mhz, so I took it back down to 375.
Even after i De-clocked to 375 mhz - I am still seeing crazy numbers
Accepts @ 7,357 - HW @ 14,038  WTF?
Is there something I am missing here?
any way to manage this?
and how does it affect the return?
Thanks

You're welcome!  Your numbers seem ok to me.  I'm just eyeballing it.  Here's the formula that I got from the forum threads and as long as you're under 2% you're fine.

The formula is HW / (HW + DiffA + Diffr + DiffS) = %

Edit:  I was looking at the top value, but I see your highlighted one is on the high side at 3.68%     Maybe improve the cooling?

halu
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: