Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:13:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICminer cubes and blades, obsolete?  (Read 2667 times)
J_Dubbs (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:04:01 AM

Wondering what the general consensus is here, are cubes and blades considered obsolete due to their power consumption?

Over got around 225ghs, running mainly cubes and blades, but I liked these products because they allowed me the freedom to "grow into" this hobby. Seems like the newer stuff you buy the whole rig and it's a bigger investment up front, as it should be. I liked how ASICminer always seemed to position their stuff as a "system"- blades tied into the backplane, and cubes have locking notches and rather good price point compared to similar offerings from BfL. I get the impression they are less desirable now though, is this mainly because of power consumption? Crazy how fast this hardware race moves... I'm still a bit surprised to see people coming into mining and dropping over $1k on a miner before learning the ropes...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hippievogel

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:29:37 AM

They are obsolete the ghash watt ratio is so much more than bitmain chips. i still wonder why people bought these cubes
h3rlihy

Activity: 356

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 10:19:14 AM

Might still be useful for alt SHA-256 coins but it's too late for BTC now
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 12:07:01 PM

All alt sha256 are lower value than BTC, so , useless ...
wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:40:55 PM

They cubes were obsolete before they even came to market.
Skaterdiejosh

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 05:46:01 PM

Im putting all my blades and cubes up for auction on eBay this week !! You only have maybe 4 weeks at the most befor they won't even cover the power cost .. Blades are still going for 150$-300$ each on eBay and the cubes are being sold for about 400$-600$ each..  Prices will drop like a rock in next few weeks.. Im going to try to sale all that I have running this week and recover anything i can even if its only 100$ per blade its better then nothing. I don't have many transactions on eBay so hopefully people will bid lol .......

Tips -  13q4b2Rq2dA579KShuC2LapSK8E94ZeAWy
https://coinbase.com/?r=5276ab
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:19:58 PM

I still maintain that success in this, being highly speculative, is based primarily on the future market value of the underlying output: BTC. If BTC keeps trending up towards $2k then it's a much different story than forecasting based on present value. The difference is when these are actually purchased with BTC, at that point then yes, the goal is to mine back as much as was spent. Cash for equipment has a slightly different model because the medium of exchange, I mean if a cube costs $600 USD and mines .2 BTC, but that .2 BTC ends up being worth $1,200 someday it's a win. If you spend .4 BTC to buy it, then the goal is to mine back at least .4 BTC... Some people might be running conversions on their cash purchases, but with something that fluctuates as wildly as BTC it doesn't make much sense to do that as the cost is remembered/recorded in the actual tender used.
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:30:58 PM

All alt sha256 are lower value than BTC, so , useless ...

The thinking is more would be accumulated, and there would be greater leverage on gains when picking the correct alt coin to trade against BTC. The trick is picking the correct alt coin, and the odds are stacked against someone doing that hence part of the risk/reward model that rewards largely, but less often, to those who take the most risk. Adding another layer of risk, speculating on emerging coins, is usually too much for most of us to stomach; I certainly don't want to bother, for me BTC is the risky one, and all the other coins I might as well play Satoshi Dice. But that might shift in two months depending on the price of BTC or my power costs... If this were a craps table and BTC were a pass line bet, all the alt coins are like the "hard way" bets, they have the potential to pay out higher, but the odds are against you on picking the right one. And value is relative, the idea is to trade against BTC or cash or whatever with the other coin, then through trade to obtain more than you could by mining directly. It's the same reason nations have imports and exports, they leverage the resources available to trade for greater amounts of things they lack resources to create and thus meet demand and achieve optimal profits.
mvalley

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:27:30 PM

I started dumping my cubes today on amazon/ebay. Now I'm only ordering equipment that's 200+ghz (mostly the antminers)

LATOKEN  ●  TRADE REAL ASSETS IN CRYPTO  ●  JOIN ICO NOW
SLACK  |  TELEGRAM
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 10:52:16 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 02:29:54 AM by Gator-hex

As long as it covers your electric costs its still profitable.

Hopefully the Bitcoin price is about to break out of this $1000 range, which might help us poor miners out.

I have no idea why people buy Butterfly 65nm and Cubes instead of 55nm Bitfury miners which are 25GH/25W normal and 45GH/70W overclocked (w/heatsink & fan).

I've got 270GH mining on 415W on cruddy 83% efficient PSU.

The Bitcoins it produces are worth 40x my power costs.
Always remember mining profit = how much you can beat your energy bill (not how any bitcoins you can make!)

grumpy619

Activity: 546
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 11:05:10 PM

Im putting all my blades and cubes up for auction on eBay this week !! You only have maybe 4 weeks at the most befor they won't even cover the power cost .. Blades are still going for 150$-300$ each on eBay and the cubes are being sold for about 400$-600$ each..  Prices will drop like a rock in next few weeks.. Im going to try to sale all that I have running this week and recover anything i can even if its only 100$ per blade its better then nothing. I don't have many transactions on eBay so hopefully people will bid lol .......

I will take a couple at 100 if your dumping them.

▄▄           ▄▄▄▄▄▄             ▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄         ▄▄        ▄▄             ▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄                  ▄             ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ 
██        ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██        ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ███▄       ██        ██          ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄         ██                 ███            ██▀▀▀▀██▄
██       ██▀                ██▀        ▀██       █████▄     ██        ██         ██▀        ▀██        ██                ██ ██           ██     ██
██      ▐█▌                ▐█▌          ▐█▌      ██ ▀███▄   ██        ██        ▐█▌          ▐█▌       ██               ██   ██          ██▄▄▄▄█▀
██      ▐█▌                ▐█▌          ▐█▌      ██   ▀███▄ ██        ██        ▐█▌          ▐█▌       ██              ██     ██         ██▀▀▀▀██▄
██       ██▄                ██▄        ▄██       ██     ▀█████        ██         ██▄      ▄▄  █        ██             ██       ██        ██     ██
██        ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄██        ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀        ██       ▀███        ██          ▀██▄▄▄▄▄ ██          ██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██         ██       ██▄▄▄▄██▀
▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀         ▀▀        ▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀           ▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ 
           ▄▄███▄▄
     ▄▄███████████▄▄
 ▄▄███████████████████▄▄
███████████▌ ▐███████████
██▌ ▐███████ ███████▌ ▐██
███ ████▀▀██ ██▀▀████ ███
███ ██▀▄████ ████▄▀██ ███
███ ██ █████ █████ ██ ███
 ▀▀ ██ █████ █████ ██ ▀▀
     ▀ █████ █████ ▀
         ▀▀█ █▀▀
The Premier   ───────────────────
Digital Asset Management Ecosystem
────────   Powered by the ICNQ Token

[ Color  Paper ]
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
[ White Paper ]

▾  Medium
▾  Twitter
▾  LinkedIn
▾  Subscribe

I C N Q  T O K E N

The Token for Digital Asset Management
mvalley

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 11:07:55 PM

As long as it covers the electric costs its profitable.

Hopefully the Bitcoin price is about to break out of this $1000 range soon which might help us poor miners out.

But to play this game like a boss you need to dump the old technology during the golden window.

LATOKEN  ●  TRADE REAL ASSETS IN CRYPTO  ●  JOIN ICO NOW
SLACK  |  TELEGRAM
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 11:20:13 PM

They cubes were obsolete before they even came to market.

+1
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:34:02 AM

You should have sold on here.
What are your ebay links?
I have been slowly accumulating miners and sometimes good buys on older equipment as well.

I started dumping my cubes today on amazon/ebay. Now I'm only ordering equipment that's 200+ghz (mostly the antminers)

J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:37:03 AM

As long as it covers the electric costs its profitable.

Hopefully the Bitcoin price is about to break out of this $1000 range soon which might help us poor miners out.

Agreed. We've got increasing input cost and fixed production rate, which should create a shortage and prices go up if demand is steady, which depends on assuming no government regulations or special-cause events, intervention, etc... The cubes are still one of the only "low end" options right now, not everyone can jump in and spend $2k on a speculative venture. Hopefully the shift in input costs plays out as supply and demand theory state, in the past it always has, but it all depends on a free market system of decentralized trade without interference.
pgminer01

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:03:42 AM

the cube is selling in taobao at 500 USD , and blade is 300 USD , I am running both via 750w server psu .  it took 3 days to ship to malaysia .
Skaterdiejosh

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 06:41:41 PM

Here's my link to my eBay listing just so you all dont think im bull shit lol Smiley

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASICMINER-v2-Erupter-Blade-10-Gh-s-Bitcoin-Miner-In-Hand-free-shipping-/111265893431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e7f6cc37

I've bought a bunch of stuff of eBay befor but never sold anything so the big fat zero on my user name dont help getting bids lol Also theres like 50 listings for blades so its pretty bad competetion. If I dont get any bids I might post a listing on here for all my hashing power. I got 16 blades left and im still like not 100% sure if trying to sale now is the best idea but Im trying to save up funds to make a bigger investment in 1 th or larger miners when available for shipping.. (Not Pre Order) If I post on here I might try to find A trusted senior member as escrow...

ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:26:22 PM

Cool I will watch your ebay sale.
I'm waiting for my BTC to clear coinbase then I am buying some gear.
Canaryinthemine is a good person to use for escrow.
There is also a list on the board of trusted escrow people.
Are all of your miners blades?

Here's my link to my eBay listing just so you all dont think im bull shit lol Smiley

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASICMINER-v2-Erupter-Blade-10-Gh-s-Bitcoin-Miner-In-Hand-free-shipping-/111265893431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e7f6cc37

I've bought a bunch of stuff of eBay befor but never sold anything so the big fat zero on my user name dont help getting bids lol Also theres like 50 listings for blades so its pretty bad competetion. If I dont get any bids I might post a listing on here for all my hashing power. I got 16 blades left and im still like not 100% sure if trying to sale now is the best idea but Im trying to save up funds to make a bigger investment in 1 th or larger miners when available for shipping.. (Not Pre Order) If I post on here I might try to find A trusted senior member as escrow...

Skaterdiejosh

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 07:44:06 PM

No i got some cubes also but want to sale all my blades first . Thx for the watch, there's still couple days left on listing and I priced it lower then all the ones I seen on eBay so hopefully it will sale ..

Skaterdiejosh

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 11:02:35 PM

Got a bid so looks like I will get at least 150$ for one blade. Going to post more listings after I get off work today. Going to list all the extra backplanes and power supply I have for Blades. Will update with links after I get them on eBay .. If i can make at least 2000$ for all my blades,backplanes, and power supplies should really help me stay in the mining game this year ..  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: