Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:50:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mobile Mining Experience  (Read 195 times)
lukuma (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:45:13 AM

While mining for Electroneum, your phone won’t be performing real mining (as is done with a computer), but rather a simulation of mining.

The Electroneum team has described their mobile app as a Mobile Mining Experience.

Instead of actually using your phone’s CPU to solve complicated cryptographic problems (as is done with real mining), the app will continually monitor the available CPU power on your phone. In this way, it will determine the amount of CPU power that could have been used for mining, had the phone actually been mining.

Your phone will then be issued with a hash rate (speed of mining, if you will) based on its available CPU power, and ETN coins will be credited to your online wallet based on this hash rate.

The mining app has already been developed and is currently in a beta testing phase. The Android app can be downloaded from the Play Store here. The iOS version, however, is still under review by Apple and will in all likelihood only launch after the mobile miner has launched in Q1 of 2018.

At the moment, the app can be used to manage your online Electroneum wallet, send/receive ETN, and view live ETN exchange rates.

As an added benefit, you’ll be able to play a mining game to increase the number of coins you receive. The game will be designed to teach people more about mining and encourage them to set up their own full miners (computer versions) to mine more coins.

How Much Power and Data Will the App Use?

According to Electroneum’s CEO, Richard Ells, the app will not use a lot of power since the app does not perform real mining – only a simulation of mining. Therefore, phones will not heat up, use a lot of battery power, or become worn out due to mining activities.

I’ve been running the beta version of the miner on my Galaxy S8 for a few days now, and have seen virtually no difference in my phone’s battery performance. The screenshot below shows the following statistics:

• The miner has used 10% of battery power since last being charged.
    The miner has used 107MB of RAM memory in the last 3 hours, less than 4% of the available RAM.

https://electroneum101.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/electroneum-mobile-miner-performance-statistics.png[/img]]https://electroneum101.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/electroneum-mobile-miner-performance-statistics.png

Data Usage

The app will also not use a lot of data, according to Richard Ells. Data will be required to communicate with the server for account balances, sending coins, etc., but these will be kept to a minimum.

Richard mentioned that the data usage will be low enough to enable mining by users in third-world countries with high data costs.

In roughly 30 days, the app on my phone has used 4.66MB of data, most of which was used to send Electroneum and check live prices.

How Much Can I Expect to Mine?

The Electroneum app will mine based on the CPU capacity of your phone – although it won’t actually use any CPU power to perform mining. The team has developed an algorithm that assigns your phone a mining rate based on the available CPU power.

The app will continually read the available CPU power on the phone and adjust the mining rate accordingly. Therefore, playing a CPU-intensive game will consume more CPU capacity on your device, resulting in less CPU power being available, and therefore the app will assign a lower mining rate to your phone.

It will, therefore, be best to terminate any unnecessary apps that may run in the background.

Emission Algorithm

The actual amount of coins will be calculated via an emission algorithm on Electroneum’s servers and will depend on several factors, such as:

the amount of Electroneum transactions being performed worldwide
the number of active miners worldwide
the current exchange rate of Electroneum

The pool of coins reserved for mobile mining will be independent of those coins reserved for computer mining. Therefore, any change in the computer mining difficulty won’t translate to the mobile mining pool, and vice versa.

The Electroneum whitepaper mentioned that any coins left over from the Initial Coin Offering (about 2 billion) will be used to supplement the coins that can be mined by mobile users.

According to this post on the Electroneum blog, Richard Ells mentioned that a high-end cellphone such as a Samsung Galaxy S8 would be able to mine about 70 coins per day initially, according to their calculations at that time. However, given the number of users that have already signed up for Electroneum since that time, the number is expected to drop.

The team will adjust the mining rate to be in the best interest of rapid user growth.

Mining Electroneum With a Computer

Computers are the real workhorses behind the Electroneum blockchain and, therefore, mine coins faster than mobile phones.

Richard Ells mentioned that the mobile mining app will encourage users to install a full miner node on their computers to join along with the rest of the network.

The team has released simple mining software for Windows, Mac, and Linux, which can be downloaded from their website. These software packages are very easy to use and have graphical interfaces instead of the usual command prompt interfaces of conventional miners. Users that run this software need very little technical knowledge about the blockchain in order to mine.

So, while waiting for the Electroneum app mining experience to launch, you can mine coins using your computer or buy ETN coins at an exchange.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bk2000

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 10:17:13 AM

How much have you been earning with your S8?  Seems worth a shot with little downside as it sounds like it isn't very taxing on the phone itself.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord   ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2018, 11:09:49 AM

While mining for Electroneum, your phone won’t be performing real mining (as is done with a computer), but rather a simulation of mining.

The Electroneum team has described their mobile app as a Mobile Mining Experience.

Instead of actually using your phone’s CPU to solve complicated cryptographic problems (as is done with real mining), the app will continually monitor the available CPU power on your phone. In this way, it will determine the amount of CPU power that could have been used for mining, had the phone actually been mining.

Your phone will then be issued with a hash rate (speed of mining, if you will) based on its available CPU power, and ETN coins will be credited to your online wallet based on this hash rate.

The mining app has already been developed and is currently in a beta testing phase. The Android app can be downloaded from the Play Store here. The iOS version, however, is still under review by Apple and will in all likelihood only launch after the mobile miner has launched in Q1 of 2018.

At the moment, the app can be used to manage your online Electroneum wallet, send/receive ETN, and view live ETN exchange rates.

As an added benefit, you’ll be able to play a mining game to increase the number of coins you receive. The game will be designed to teach people more about mining and encourage them to set up their own full miners (computer versions) to mine more coins.

According to Electroneum’s CEO, Richard Ells, the app will not use a lot of power since the app does not perform real mining – only a simulation of mining. Therefore, phones will not heat up, use a lot of battery power, or become worn out due to mining activities.

I’ve been running the beta version of the miner on my Galaxy S8 for a few days now, and have seen virtually no difference in my phone’s battery performance. The screenshot below shows the following statistics:

The miner has used 107MB of RAM memory in the last 3 hours, less than 4% of the available RAM.

https://electroneum101.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/electroneum-mobile-miner-performance-statistics.png[/img]]

Data Usage

The app will also not use a lot of data, according to Richard Ells. Data will be required to communicate with the server for account balances, sending coins, etc., but these will be kept to a minimum.

Richard mentioned that the data usage will be low enough to enable mining by users in third-world countries with high data costs.

In roughly 30 days, the app on my phone has used 4.66MB of data, most of which was used to send Electroneum and check live prices.

The Electroneum app will mine based on the CPU capacity of your phone – although it won’t actually use any CPU power to perform mining. The team has developed an algorithm that assigns your phone a mining rate based on the available CPU power.

The app will continually read the available CPU power on the phone and adjust the mining rate accordingly. Therefore, playing a CPU-intensive game will consume more CPU capacity on your device, resulting in less CPU power being available, and therefore the app will assign a lower mining rate to your phone.

It will, therefore, be best to terminate any unnecessary apps that may run in the background.

Emission Algorithm

The actual amount of coins will be calculated via an emission algorithm on Electroneum’s servers and will depend on several factors, such as:

The pool of coins reserved for mobile mining will be independent of those coins reserved for computer mining. Therefore, any change in the computer mining difficulty won’t translate to the mobile mining pool, and vice versa.

The Electroneum whitepaper mentioned that any coins left over from the Initial Coin Offering (about 2 billion) will be used to supplement the coins that can be mined by mobile users.

According to this post on the Electroneum blog, Richard Ells mentioned that a high-end cellphone such as a Samsung Galaxy S8 would be able to mine about 70 coins per day initially, according to their calculations at that time. However, given the number of users that have already signed up for Electroneum since that time, the number is expected to drop.

The team will adjust the mining rate to be in the best interest of rapid user growth.

Computers are the real workhorses behind the Electroneum blockchain and, therefore, mine coins faster than mobile phones.

Richard Ells mentioned that the mobile mining app will encourage users to install a full miner node on their computers to join along with the rest of the network.

The team has released simple mining software for Windows, Mac, and Linux, which can be downloaded from their website. These software packages are very easy to use and have graphical interfaces instead of the usual command prompt interfaces of conventional miners. Users that run this software need very little technical knowledge about the blockchain in order to mine.

So, while waiting for the Electroneum app mining experience to launch, you can mine coins using your computer or buy ETN coins at an exchange.

I'm running the beta on an S8. It's making less than 1 ETN per day - this may change when the non-beta is launched, but there will be <quite> a few more miners too...

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
benjaminoo

Activity: 126

Ice Rock Mining - Lifetime Profit

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2018, 12:13:54 PM

https://electroneum101.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/electroneum-mobile-miner-performance-statistics.png[/img]]

Data Usage

Emission Algorithm

This post was copied from electroneum101.com.

Plagiarism is not nice, you know...

Midcrypto

Activity: 85
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2018, 02:24:11 PM

Mobile phones use anywhere for 3-5 watts. With that being said nearly any form of mobile mining is profitable.
tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 1405

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 01:41:31 AM

Are you getting the deposits?

I have 300 ETN pending.

▄██████████████
███████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀░
███████████▀▄░█
██████████░███░
███████▀▀░▀▀█▀▀
█████▀░░░░░░░▀▄
█████░░░░░░░░░█
█████▄░░░░░░░▄▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄███
███████████████
▀██████████████
▄██████████████
███████████████
████████████▀██
█████████▀▀░░░▀
████████░░░░░░░
██████░░░░░░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░
██████▄░░░░▄▄▄░
█████████▀▀░░░▀
████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████████
▀██████████████
▄██████████████
███████████████
██████████▀▀▀▀▀
███████▀░▀█▄░░░
██████░░░░░█▄░▄
█████░░▄▄▄▄▄██▀
█████▀▀▀░░░░▄█▄
█████░░░▄▄█▀▀░█
██████▄█▀▀░░░░▀
███████▄▄░░░░░░
██████████▄▄▄▄▄
███████████████
▀██████████████
▄████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
█████████████░████████████
████████████▀▄████████████
█████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀█████
████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████
████░░░██░██░░░░█░░░░░████
████░░░▄▄▀▄▄░░▀▀▄▀▀░░░████
████▄░░▀▀░▀▀░░░░▀░░░░▄████
█████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█████
▀████████████████████████▀
Suslived

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 02:33:26 AM

An obvious shill post which was probably paid for by the Electroneum team.

They should really stop making their DEAD coin happen. Electroneum failed already multiple times and they couldn't even relaunch their coin without encountering problems. Now they are just wasting the ICO investors money (whom they screwed over during launch) and paying newbies to post on their behalf.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
benjaminoo

Activity: 126

Ice Rock Mining - Lifetime Profit

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2018, 08:34:03 PM

An obvious shill post which was probably paid for by the Electroneum team.

They should really stop making their DEAD coin happen. Electroneum failed already multiple times and they couldn't even relaunch their coin without encountering problems. Now they are just wasting the ICO investors money (whom they screwed over during launch) and paying newbies to post on their behalf.

Please stop making allegations like this if you don't have any evidence.

For the record, I wrote the original article on electroneum101.com and I've not been paid by the Electroneum team as far as I know.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: