Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:46:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 ... 294 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com  (Read 465509 times)
Zamboniman

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:55:50 AM

Could be an infected source code for a miner or wallet which is compiled on each platform (windows, linux etc) ...

My rigs don't have wallets running on them.

Infected source code in all sgminer, cgmniner, bfgminer, and even Cudaminer? Code I've downloaded from github and compiled myself in each case?

Seems highly unlikely. Possible, but very unlikely.

You seem to have a good sampling of configurations, so it seems like agood place to start.  Do you they all run on the same local area network?  If so, are they using private ip addresses with your router running network address transalation?  Are they dynamically assigned or manually entered into the configuration of each mining computer?

Yes, all running on the same local network. Some are using static IP's and some dynamically assigned IP's via DHCP from the router, which is running proprietary software from the router manufacturer, though some of the rigs are bridged to the router via another router running open source dd-wrt. Quite a few different variables here. All are using Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

When the problem occurred, it happened on all rigs simultaneously, regardless of OS, miner software, static or dynamic IP, router connection, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
comeonalready

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:57:22 AM

Could be an infected source code for a miner or wallet which is compiled on each platform (windows, linux etc) ...

Infected source code in all sgminer, cgmniner, bfgminer, and even Cudaminer? Code I've downloaded from github and compiled myself in each case?

You seem to have a good sampling of configurations, so it seems like agood place to start.  Do you they all run on the same local area network?  If so, are they using private ip addresses with your router running network address transalation?  Are they dynamically assigned or manually entered into the configuration of each mining computer?

Yes, all running on the same local network. Some are using static IP's and some dynamically assigned IP's via DHCP from the router, which is running proprietary software from the router manufacturer, though some of the rigs are bridged to the router via another router running open source dd-wrt. Quite a few different variables here. All are using Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Many nat routers run a dns forwarding service on them.  If your internet service provider assigns your public ip address via dhcp, and you assign private ip address internally via dhcp, some routers will configure the dns server for those computers to the internal ip address of the router which will forward requests onto the router's configured dns server.  

If you check your ip configuration on one or more of the mining computers receiving its address via dhcp, does it/they point to the internal router ip address in the dns server field, or directly to an external dns server?  (I ask this as many nat routers running dns forwarding service are more vulnerable to attacks than internet dns servers are.)  This is a real long shot, but as it only takes a minute or so to check, worth a look.

Zamboniman

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:03:30 AM

Many nat routers run a dns forwarding service on them.  If your internet service provider assigns your public ip address via dhcp, and you assign private ip address internally via dhcp, some routers will configure the dns server for those computers to the internal ip address of the router which will forward requests onto the router's configured dns server.  

If you check your ip configuration on one or more of the mining computers, does it/they point to the internal router ip address in the dns server field, or directly to an external dns server?  (I ask this an many nat routers running dns forwarding service are more vulnerable to attacks than internet dns servers are.)  This is a real long shot, but as it only takes a minute or to check, worth a look.

This is a good question.

Most of the rigs are configured to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 directly in /etc/resolv.conf. Two of them I obviously didn't change when I set them up and they are pointing to the router, which is configured to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

All were affected equally.
comeonalready

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:05:46 AM

If you check your ip configuration on one or more of the mining computers, does it/they point to the internal router ip address in the dns server field, or directly to an external dns server?  (I ask this an many nat routers running dns forwarding service are more vulnerable to attacks than internet dns servers are.)  This is a real long shot, but as it only takes a minute or to check, worth a look.

This is a good question.

Most of the rigs are configured to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Two of them I obviously didn't change when I set them up and they are pointing to the router, which is configured to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

If all your miners were affected equally, and not just the miners using the internal router ip address for dns servers, then I think we can rule out the dns forwarding/masquerading service on your router from having been compromised.  Thanks for checking.  I hate to have to ask, but are you absolutely 100% certain?
Zamboniman

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:11:04 AM

This is a good question.

Most of the rigs are configured to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Two of them I obviously didn't change when I set them up and they are pointing to the router, which is configured to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

If all were miners affected equally, and not just the miners using the router ip address for dns servers, then I think we can rule out the dns forwarding/masquerading service on your router from having been compromised.  Thanks for checking.  I hate to have to ask, but are you absolutely 100% certain?

I am certain of some using direct DNS and some pointing to the router. I am certain some are using DHCP and some are static IP's. I am certain one router (connected to the external internet) is running proprietary Dlink software and the other bridged router is running dd-wrt. I set all of this up myself.

This does not entirely rule out some very clever hack on the router side of things, or injected in multiple miner's source codes. It just seems rather unlikely to me at this point.
utahjohn

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:11:58 AM

http://www.routerpwn.com/
Zamboniman

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:13:57 AM

Yes, this is the weakest link in my setup for sure.
comeonalready

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:19:05 AM

This is a good question.

If all were miners affected equally, and not just the miners using the router ip address for dns servers, then I think we can rule out the dns forwarding/masquerading service on your router from having been compromised.  Thanks for checking.  I hate to have to ask, but are you absolutely 100% certain?

I am certain of some using direct DNS and some pointing to the router. I am certain some are using DHCP and some are static IP's. I am certain one router (connected to the external internet) is running proprietary Dlink software and the other bridged router is running dd-wrt. I set all of this up myself.

This does not entirely rule out some very clever hack on the router side of things, or injected in multiple miner's source codes. It just seems rather unlikely to me at this point.

As many of us as possible need to enable verbose logging to file for when this happens again.  And it will almost certainly happen again, as there is money to be made by attackers exploiting whatever weakness allowed them to do so this time around.  I have had logging enabled since the very beginning, but none of my equipment was affected by this problem.  I did notice a few atypical incoming packets logged on my firewall making me suspect that a local router attack could be part of the redirect to a rogue server, which is why I asked you about yours, as you actually witnessed the redirection of your hashpower.
comeonalready

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:22:38 AM

My configuration does not utilize any of the vulnerable equipment included in that list.  (Not that someone somewhere probably doesn't know how to hack it!)
Zamboniman

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:23:29 AM

This is a good question.

As many of us as possible need to enable verbose logging to file for when this happens again.  And it will almost certainly happen again, as there is money to be made by attackers exploiting whatever weakness allowed them to do so this time around.  I have had logging enabled since the very beginning, but none of my equipment was affected by this problem.  I did notice a few atypical packets logged on my firewall making me suspect that a local router attack could be part of the redirect to a rogue server, which is why I asked you about yours, as you actually witnessed the redirection of your hashpower.

Agreed.

I've been awaiting a reoccurence all day. Nothing so far, at all. If it's local I'm betting it's the d-link router software, as it's connected to the external internet. But my money is leaning a bit towards not local. Not enough though for me to be completely convinced. Too many unknowns at this point.

Zamboniman

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:25:31 AM

My configuration does not utilize any of the vulnerable equipment included in that list.  (Not that someone somewhere probably doesn't know how to hack it!)

Hmm, just checked through that list as well. My particular router is not included. Though, as you say, that certainly doesn't mean a lot.
utahjohn

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:29:36 AM

So by gaining access to a remote router is it possible to perform an attack of this sort?  I am sure there are other resources such as the one I listed ...
Zamboniman

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:33:31 AM

So by gaining access to a remote router is it possible to perform an attack of this sort?  I am sure there are other resources such as the one I listed ...

Possible, yes. My router does not use default credentials though. Of course, backdoors are rife with these things.
utahjohn

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:37:01 AM

1 Gain ownership of router
2 determine OS
3 find miner process running
4 Alter pool info
Zamboniman

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:37:33 AM

Okay, just checking information from last night.

It may not have happened quite simultaneously. I don't have enough information (didn't have verbose logging on) to be sure. I'm not even certain it affected every single one of my rigs, as when I noticed it on most of them I immediately began a slash and burn campaign on everything.

Unfortunately this muddies the waters a bit.
comeonalready

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:37:52 AM

Possible yes, likely no.  The simultaneous timing of the redirection attack would be very difficult to carry out without 'the short list' of miners' ip addresses which would only be obtained from the server, or the network on which the server resides.
utahjohn

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:44:02 AM

Considering that 'short list' ... only pools I have heard of being affected are multipool.us and wafflepool.com ... both hacked?
Zamboniman

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:44:32 AM

For what it's worth...

When I first noticed the problem (maybe an hour or more after it likely occured) the first step I took is that I logged into each of my rigs and disabled the useast server (which each was pointing to). This had the effect of each rig going to the uswest backup server.

This immediately caused shares to once again be registered on wafflepool.

I didn't leave it at that, though. Worried, half an hour later, I power cycled routers and rigs, restarted miners, and monitored them, once again on useast, to see if shares were being registered.

They were.

Then I went to sleep, thinking I'd solve it in the morning.
comeonalready

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:45:58 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2014, 09:15:37 AM by comeonalready

Considering that 'short list' ... only pools I have heard of being affected are multipool.us and wafflepool.com ... both hacked?

Only poolwaffle and whoever runs multipool.us can answer that.  Perhaps by chance two of their servers are located in the same data center?

We are working with maybe only half of the available information.
utahjohn

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:51:07 AM

More from multipool.us ... perhaps related ...

Mar 23 1:34 AM It's taking longer than expected to redownload blockchains. We are making DOGE, LTC and AUR a priority over the other coins and hope to have payouts processing for those coins within the hour.

Mar 22 9:59 PM The payout server has experienced a hard drive failure. We are currently restoring from backups. No user funds were lost. Your patience is appreciated.
Pages: « 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 ... 294 »
  Print  

Jump to: