Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:21:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We should stop recommending Multibit on bitcoin.org, NOW  (Read 3249 times)
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:21:13 AM

A mobile device could potentially be stolen/lost, even if the point of the theft of the device is not to steal the bitcoin they would be significant risk.

Online wallets carry their own risk that is separate from using MultiBit in this manner. More risk? I am not sure
Everything in life has a risk. Even if someone secures their bitcoins in the most effective way, they can't rule out that they might have an accident tomorrow, leaving the coins unspendable if only they know about how to retrieve them (passwords, cold storage location, etc).

The problem with online wallets is when they actually know your private keys. They could one day just decide to spend them without your consent. As far as I know, Blockchain.info encrypts the keys so that they are only known in the browser at the time the user logs in, and never by Blockchain.info themselves.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 02:53:31 PM

I think R2D221 is right - it's about knowing the risks of the different wallet solutions.

For example, desktop wallets can all be compromised by malware and a key logger (which is why we want to support Trezor in MBHD as that's a tougher target for attackers to compromise).

If you are storing _serious_ amounts of money then I'd suggest using an offline solution such as Armory rather than MultiBit and having a dedicated computer with the offline data that is ONLY used for that.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
sed

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:08:47 PM

I think R2D221 is right - it's about knowing the risks of the different wallet solutions.

For example, desktop wallets can all be compromised by malware and a key logger (which is why we want to support Trezor in MBHD as that's a tougher target for attackers to compromise).

If you are storing _serious_ amounts of money then I'd suggest using an offline solution such as Armory rather than MultiBit and having a dedicated computer with the offline data that is ONLY used for that.

Well if I had "serious" amounts of money, I wouldn't want to trust my keys to potential hardware failure.  So I have a printout of my keys which I can then use to import to any wallet I feel like using.

I really feel like this is the most "secure" solution.  Having a couple of hard-copies of your keys means they're safe from online theives, and let's be honest, even if you had a problem with burglary, it's unlikely that the burglers are going to recognize the value of a bitcoin private key even if they do run across the paper, they are looking for other types of stuff.
f3tus

Activity: 317
Merit: 275

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 08:28:54 AM

If you are storing _serious_ amounts of money then I'd suggest using an offline solution such as Armory rather than MultiBit
Why is Armory better in this case?
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:59:58 PM

A mobile device could potentially be stolen/lost, even if the point of the theft of the device is not to steal the bitcoin they would be significant risk.

Online wallets carry their own risk that is separate from using MultiBit in this manner. More risk? I am not sure
Everything in life has a risk. Even if someone secures their bitcoins in the most effective way, they can't rule out that they might have an accident tomorrow, leaving the coins unspendable if only they know about how to retrieve them (passwords, cold storage location, etc).

The problem with online wallets is when they actually know your private keys. They could one day just decide to spend them without your consent. As far as I know, Blockchain.info encrypts the keys so that they are only known in the browser at the time the user logs in, and never by Blockchain.info themselves.
My post was about trying to minimize risk, not eliminate it.
virginiallorca

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:47:20 PM

Yes I bailed on multibit months ago.  It is just too flawed and got tired of it losing my BTC, even though I eventually recovered it.
sed

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 07:51:43 PM

Yes I bailed on multibit months ago.  It is just too flawed and got tired of it losing my BTC, even though I eventually recovered it.

It happened more than once?  Are you just trolling or is this for real?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: