Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:58:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-01-27] BBC Morning news  (Read 2075 times)
raskul (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:07:05 AM

BTC on BBC morning news today, just seen the lead-in for the article but i'm sure it will be replayed through the day.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:32:20 AM

What's the gist? Just an educational piece or real news story? e.g. "increased adoption by online retailers" Smiley
raskul (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:34:05 AM

they explained a little about how bitcoin is mined, and interviewed some woman at cumbria university, who are taking botcoin for course fees, and also interviewed the guy who has started the cold storage company in london - 8 minute piece. Looks like a lead in to a bigger piece, most likely on prime time news later.

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:40:53 AM

they explained a little about how bitcoin is mined, and interviewed some woman at cumbria university, who are taking botcoin for course fees, and also interviewed the guy who has started the cold storage company in london - 8 minute piece. Looks like a lead in to a bigger piece, most likely on prime time news later.

OK, sounds very good, upbeat piece about bitcoin becoming used and accepted in the UK. Should definitely help with adoption in my home island. Any bitcoin ATM machines in the UK yet? Last I heard 3 firms were racing to have the first one installed in London.
raskul (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:44:28 AM

OK, sounds very good, upbeat piece about bitcoin becoming used and accepted in the UK. Should definitely help with adoption in my home island. Any bitcoin ATM machines in the UK yet? Last I heard 3 firms were racing to have the first one installed in London.

I don't think there are any ATM's in the UK at the moment, but it's only a matter of time. It certainly was a pro-BTC article, although they did question the 'silk-road' stuff, which James (elliptic.co) just gave napster and mp3 as examples of new technology, it's always adopted firstly by the criminal element...

Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:47:03 AM

I think that there was a Bitcoin ATM in London last summer for a trial - a friend and I were thinking about visiting as it would have been an easy way to get access to coin. Shame that we didn't now as prices were low then haha Tongue

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:50:21 AM

I think that there was a Bitcoin ATM in London last summer for a trial - a friend and I were thinking about visiting as it would have been an easy way to get access to coin. Shame that we didn't now as prices were low then haha Tongue

Prices are still low now - wait till Amazon announces its going to take bitcoins, and we head to $3k without passing go. Zipzap now allows you to get bitcoins at 28K locations in the UK doesn't it? Snooze or looze Smiley
raskul (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:50:35 AM

So, am I right in presuming that you will be able to deposit fiat and exchange it to BTC, via the ATM machine?

byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:51:06 AM

Only 8 minutes? What a short piece. They have to be making documentaries about BitCoin now.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:01:24 AM

So, am I right in presuming that you will be able to deposit fiat and exchange it to BTC, via the ATM machine?

Yeah I believe that you do exactly that. In fact, I've just dug up the article that shows how that particular machine worked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23150740

The article is from early July last year - this was before the mania really kicked off, think that it was worth around £60 ~$96 around that time. Article contains a video too Smiley

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:01:26 AM

There are bitcoin "vending" machines, that just accept cash and hand out bitcoins. Lamassu and skyhook for example.
Then there are "proper" ATM machines that work both ways, like robocoin, or bitcoinatm.com These tend to be very expensive at the moment and also have to fit in with more of a countries financial regulations.

So in any country you are likely to see the fiat->BTC vendning machines before the two-way beasts.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:02:57 AM

There are bitcoin "vending" machines, that just accept cash and hand out bitcoins. Lamassu and skyhook for example.
Then there are "proper" ATM machines that work both ways, like robocoin, or bitcoinatm.com These tend to be very expensive at the moment and also have to fit in with more of a countries financial regulations.

So in any country you are likely to see the fiat->BTC vendning machines before the two-way beasts.

Yeah, I guess that for the sake of clarity the two types of machine should be distinguished. Good shout, empoweoqwj Smiley

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:03:30 AM

Yeah I believe that you do exactly that. In fact, I've just dug up the article that shows how that particular machine worked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23150740

The article is from early July last year - this was before the mania really kicked off, think that it was worth around £60 ~$96 around that time. Article contains a video too Smiley

That's the Lamassu fiat->BTC "vending" machine.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:05:20 AM

Yeah, I guess that for the sake of clarity the two types of machine should be distinguished. Good shout, empoweoqwj Smiley

Yeah, Lamassu call it an ATM but I think we should reserve the term "ATM" for something that works both ways and "vending machine" for fiat->BTC But then again, fiat ATMs don't work two ways do they ..... rethink needed Wink
raskul (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:13:07 AM

Yeah, Lamassu call it an ATM but I think we should reserve the term "ATM" for something that works both ways and "vending machine" for fiat->BTC But then again, fiat ATMs don't work two ways do they ..... rethink needed Wink

no, I think banks have two seperate machines, one for withdrawals and one for deposits. BTC vending machine - i'm happy with that term Smiley

FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:05:23 PM

Thanks for posting! Can you tell how much focus was put on the mining? Did they refer to it as the mechanism to solve double-spend and such or simply as a way to produce coins?

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:20:55 PM

BTC on BBC morning news today, just seen the lead-in for the article but i'm sure it will be replayed through the day.

IS there a link to watch it online? The BBC has had a few decent articles / videos recently.
Analyticse

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 01:39:21 PM

this be just fantastic
if be actual in ebay

i am not user ebay
but if this be acept bitcoins for micro/payments this be best for this i am be interest trading ebay auction start
raskul (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:32:06 PM

Thanks for posting! Can you tell how much focus was put on the mining? Did they refer to it as the mechanism to solve double-spend and such or simply as a way to produce coins?

it brushed on the main part, the mathematical algorythms, but yes, they basically mentioned it as the way to create bitcoins.

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:24:24 PM

this be just fantastic
if be actual in ebay

i am not user ebay
but if this be acept bitcoins for micro/payments this be best for this i am be interest trading ebay auction start

You don't seem to be able to read English, no offence. This is a thread about a BBC TV piece, not ebay
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: