Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:31:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Legitimization and Inevitability of Bitcoin  (Read 4922 times)
GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 02:36:24 AM

*Checks to see how much transaction fees have gone up due to Bitcoin thefts, frauds, or scams*  Hmm, they're still zero.  Are YOU an idiot?
My mistake. You think that it's a good thing that thefts, frauds and scams can be carried out without consequences or recompense?

I'm quite happy to pay a little on extra fees to my credit card to cover chargebacks and fraud. Because I know if something bad were to happen (eg my card was stolen), I'd not end up homeless

Non-sequitur much?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 02:47:13 AM

when you're paid to not understand something, you won't.
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 02:47:36 AM

Now, what was the OP about? Oh yes, an article about the legality of bitcoins. Well, the author defends the assertion that bitcoin is a liability that requires regulation to counter illegal acts. That will probably be the motive, but I'm not sure that is a good offense. Because that would impose more restrictions on the present commons. When I tip the waiter, give money to charity, a homeless individual, or give money in a congratulatory card, I would prefer not to have that transaction recorded. Studies have shown that even with the convenience of credit cards and the like, cash will never die because people demand it, and when it is not available they will make transactions by other means, whether by bananas or bitcoins.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 02:49:51 AM

when you're paid to not understand something, you won't.

Let's not assume that just because someone disagrees with us that they're a paid shill of some nefarious scheming enemy. More likely, they just don't know what they're talking about. Ignorance is far greater in quantity than conspiracy.
Surawit

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 02:51:40 AM

perhaps I focused a little heavily on the semantics of a particular word which it looks like most of you have some inflexible opinions on  Roll Eyes. We can agree to disagree on that.

I remain unconvinced that BTC offers a significant improvement to our current systems... I don't think a rise in FREEDOM will necessarily occur with bitcoin. The rich will still be able to play the system to their advantage.
"Distributed" sounds awfully nice and egalitarian until you look at how wealth would really be concentrated: Disproportionately in the hands of the early adopters (aka the current bitcoin community). Great for you guys. Again, this project seems now to be motivated mainly by greed rather than any desire to change society.

Frankly I think I'd rather be ruled by my current [$]rich white corporate masters than a bunch of BTCrich white libertarian nerds, you people have some hella dumb ideas
GoWest

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 02:51:50 AM

Now, what was the OP about? Oh yes, an article about the legality of bitcoins. Well, the author defends the assertion that bitcoin is a liability that requires regulation to counter illegal acts. That will probably be the motive, but I'm not sure that is a good offense. Because that would impose more restrictions on the present commons. When I tip the waiter, give money to charity, a homeless individual, or give money in a congratulatory card, I would prefer not to have that transaction recorded. Studies have shown that even with the convenience of credit cards and the like, cash will never die because people demand it, and when it is not available they will make transactions by other means, whether by bananas or bitcoins.

From the (well-written, I must say) article:

...which is why it’s essential that a legal framework be put in place to govern businesses that facilitate Bitcoin transactions, like the exchanges.

No one's talking about documenting person-to-person Bitcoin transactions, which would be next-to-impossible, anyway.

GoWest

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 02:53:35 AM

perhaps I focused a little heavily on the semantics of a particular word which it looks like most of you have some inflexible opinions on  Roll Eyes. We can agree to disagree on that.

I remain unconvinced that BTC offers a significant improvement to our current systems... I don't think a rise in FREEDOM will necessarily occur with bitcoin. The rich will still be able to play the system to their advantage.
"Distributed" sounds awfully nice and egalitarian until you look at how wealth would really be concentrated: Disproportionately in the hands of the early adopters (aka the current bitcoin community). Great for you guys. Again, this project seems now to be motivated mainly by greed rather than any desire to change society.

Frankly I think I'd rather be ruled by my current [$]rich white corporate masters than a bunch of BTCrich white libertarian nerds, you people have some hella dumb ideas

Then why is this your signature block?:

PROUD TO BE A SUPPORTER OF CAPITALISM
15rBQe46XjCzSYbQN9dWYwaSLRqiXckSDb

Surawit

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 02:55:17 AM

Joined to troll, stayed to argue

I am a marxist irl
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 02:59:03 AM

Alright Surawit now there is a genuine and worthwhile critique of Bitcoin. I disagree with you for a number of reasons, but you bring up good points. I will say that greed and the desire to change society are not mutually exclusive, and typically the former is the cause of the latter.

But when a rich white libertarian nerd has a hella dumb idea, he doesn't force it upon you with guns and imprisonment.
GoWest

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 03:00:58 AM

But when a rich white libertarian nerd has a hella dumb idea, he doesn't force it upon you with guns and imprisonment.

Correct; that only happens with fiat currencies.  Oh look, we've come full circle.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:02:06 AM

I am a marxist irl

finally an admission.  now we know what we're dealing with guys.
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:04:55 AM

I am a marxist irl

I would have no problem with Marxists, if they didn't advocate coercion, theft, and violence.
GoWest

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 03:05:15 AM

I am a marxist irl

Definitely 12-Monkeys material.

bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 03:11:31 AM

Not sure if that is your blog but I really like it! Smiley

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
Surawit

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:17:02 AM

Yes, but that is only because he doesn't have any power to do so  Cheesy. Besides, libertarianism itself is dumb/harmful enough even without a state violently enforcing its ideas... What good is freedom from government coercion when you are suffocated at birth by your own umbilical cord  because you can't get to the hospital because there are no roads to your house and also because there is no hospital as your mother can't pay the fees

What is this, ghostbusters?
GoWest

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 03:23:49 AM

Not sure if that is your blog but I really like it! Smiley

It is - thanks!

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:29:04 AM

What is this, ghostbusters?

yes it is.  how much do they pay you to troll, Surawit?  is it worth it given the shellacking you're taking?  it must be hourly b/c you sure are wasting a lot of valuable time trying to discredit something you despise so much.  don't you have anything better to do?
Surawit

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:42:21 AM

yes it is.  how much do they pay you to troll, Surawit?  is it worth it given the shellacking you're taking?  it must be hourly b/c you sure are wasting a lot of valuable time trying to discredit something you despise so much.  don't you have anything better to do?
Sorry, I find it horribly vulgar to discuss wages, and I don't think the guys at the lodge would be too happy with me if I did either lol
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:44:20 AM

Sorry, I find it horribly vulgar to discuss wages, and I don't think the guys at the lodge would be too happy with me if I did either lol

i'll bet its per post isn't it?
Surawit

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:49:26 AM

i'll bet its per post isn't it?
Yeah. I'm freelancing atm, but I've heard there are a couple of salaried trolling positions opening up soon... they really don't like bitcoins! The pay is definitely nothing special but the benefits are great (full health+dental). Way better than my last gig trolling homeopathic forums on behalf of pfizer
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: