Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:46:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ○ Marscoin [MRS] Colonizing Mars!  (Read 28620 times)
quarkkid

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:48:04 AM

One of the devs here.

Official history of Marscoin:
==================

Marscoin was created 1.1.2014 and launch date posted on website for mid-January (official end of the MarsOne indigogo campaign). Pre-mining the initial donation for MarsOne with the help of some early miners who found the project during that time. The team is international right now, with devs in the US, Europe, Russia...

We had slightly over 500k coins outstanding after launch. The majority of which is dedicated to MarsOne. Last week was the first official week. We spread the network launch on space related websites ... space.com, mars society etc. for one week to give them an extra edge for one week. We jumped to 2 MH/s during that week.

This weekend we spread the word at the Bitcoin conference in Miami (as mentioned on the launch page), giving away faucet.marscoin.org cards and officially launching in the Bitcoin community. It was definitely easier to explain the idea of Marscoin to the Bitcoin crowd than the space community. Lot's of great feedback and support!

Any questions, let me know.

Just to let u know , theres a fairly new exchange "cryptorush.in" that has quite a few new coins listed and will list pretty much any coin for a 0.25 btc fee if you are the developer..or the community can just request without paying a fee, they will consider but they might not list it. Just an idea to get ball rolling on trading

My reputation thread!! ...https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=419456.0
C A Ix > >   CAIx-- Xt7qWX6LTAURHZYzjenTBNfViztCz2z72U

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:52:27 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 07:07:38 AM by Luke-Jr

Awesome idea, and justifies the creation of an altcoin... but

Awful parameter selection:
  • scrypt is a proven failure.
  • There is no demonstrable benefit to faster blocks.
  • There is no clear standard for a "Mars minute" with which to define block time in (I'd question if this unit even should be defined).
  • Difficulty retarget is probably too fast and will allow luck to influence difficulty a lot.
  • Why change total coin supply?

Additionally, it would really make sense to try to address the shortcomings of Bitcoin with known solutions, in any new altcoin.
I don't see any evidence of that here.. Sad

novalis788

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 03:56:20 PM

Awesome idea, and justifies the creation of an altcoin... but

Awful parameter selection:
  • scrypt is a proven failure.
  • There is no demonstrable benefit to faster blocks.
  • There is no clear standard for a "Mars minute" with which to define block time in (I'd question if this unit even should be defined).
  • Difficulty retarget is probably too fast and will allow luck to influence difficulty a lot.
  • Why change total coin supply?

Additionally, it would really make sense to try to address the shortcomings of Bitcoin with known solutions, in any new altcoin.
I don't see any evidence of that here.. Sad

The devs are pretty active on IRC @freenode #MRS and #Marscoin, they would probably love to hear from you. It's an international team, I am pretty sure they might be interested in feedback/help.
The faster blocks make sense though if you want to protect yourself from Earth miners (see discussion in their forum under "Evil Earth Miner Scenario". The retargeting is similar to 540 block coins, like Terracoin.

Regarding the coin supply: it aligns with the departure of the Marscoin blockchain to Mars:

2014 50 coins
2016 25 coins
2018 12 coins
2020 6   coins
2022 3   coins
2024 1   coin

My Marscoin donations go to MarsOne: MMarsonebnQkxsNQxewhadjjFWix4DXTau
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:42:49 PM

The faster blocks make sense though if you want to protect yourself from Earth miners (see discussion in their forum under "Evil Earth Miner Scenario".
Except it does nothing to protect you...
Earth just needs more hashrate, and their blockchain trumps Mars', no matter how delayed.

The retargeting is similar to 540 block coins, like Terracoin.
Imitating a scamcoin which has had problems as a direct result of the change, is not the best idea Wink

Regarding the coin supply: it aligns with the departure of the Marscoin blockchain to Mars:
Why is this a good thing? I'd think it make more sense to have most of the coins mined on Mars itself, not most on Earth...

novalis788

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 08:59:18 PM

The faster blocks make sense though if you want to protect yourself from Earth miners (see discussion in their forum under "Evil Earth Miner Scenario".
Earth just needs more hashrate, and their blockchain trumps Mars', no matter how delayed.

It will make it harder as it adds a much higher burden on a co-ordinated attack from Earth. Yes, they will have more hashing power, but to advance such a large blockchain in such a short time frame it will need a concerted effort from Earth to do that. On top of that, if the Marscoin network adds a timestamping or other security measures that are local to Mars an attack from Earth is impossible due to the distance.

The retargeting is similar to 540 block coins, like Terracoin.
Imitating a scamcoin which has had problems as a direct result of the change, is not the best idea Wink
Terracoin's solution to its problems was adopting a 540 retarget. They are by far not the only Litecoin blockchains with a similar retargeting interval. Check out the discussions here: https://github.com/terracoin/terracoin/issues/14

Why is this a good thing? I'd think it make more sense to have most of the coins mined on Mars itself, not most on Earth...

Depends. The idea is to raise the money NOW to actually help make the Mars mission a reality. Thus you increase the incentive for people to get into the currency before the blockchain leaves. Once on Mars, the Marscolonists have better things to do than to put their servers on a mining armsrace - Marscoin on Mars will then mainly become a transaction network. If need be, the minimal mining that will continue could be monopolized by MarsOne or whoever runs the base to pay early Mars settlers to incentivise the growth of the colony.

Appreciate your thoughts and input!!

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:19:35 PM

It will make it harder as it adds a much higher burden on a co-ordinated attack from Earth. Yes, they will have more hashing power, but to advance such a large blockchain in such a short time frame it will need a concerted effort from Earth to do that.
I don't see how; the terrestials will just naturally create a forked blockchain, and if they have a higher hashrate, it will replace the martian one as soon as it gets far enough ahead...
On top of that, if the Marscoin network adds a timestamping or other security measures that are local to Mars an attack from Earth is impossible due to the distance.
I'm not aware of any such measures that can be taken without centralising the currency.

Depends. The idea is to raise the money NOW to actually help make the Mars mission a reality. Thus you increase the incentive for people to get into the currency before the blockchain leaves. Once on Mars, the Marscolonists have better things to do than to put their servers on a mining armsrace - Marscoin on Mars will then mainly become a transaction network. If need be, the minimal mining that will continue could be monopolized by MarsOne or whoever runs the base to pay early Mars settlers to incentivise the growth of the colony.
Raising the money is done with the premine. Beyond that, it doesn't help raise money at all.
If all the subsidy is mined before leaving Earth, then where is the incentive for martians to mine at all, much less maintain the same hashrate as it had on Earth?
Keep in mind that the difficulty needs to be high enough to make it resistant to attacks...

novalis788

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 09:35:41 PM

I'm not aware of any such measures that can be taken without centralising the currency.
Similar to a timestamping server here on Earth (or yes, even an ICANN like construct, but that is centralization, indeed). It will be in the Mars colonists' economic best self-interest to install server(s) that issue a list of timestamp marked credentials - which could be incorporated in each block to verify the mining occurred on Mars.

Raising the money is done with the premine. Beyond that, it doesn't help raise money at all.
Yes it does: the 300k (now 400k) of premined Marscoins are worth nothing at this point (well, on reddit they go for 10-80cents right now). If the incentive is strong enough, more and more fiat currencies will be exchanged for Marscoin driving up the price for Marscoins. That alone will make the initial premining worthwhile and allow MarsOne to actually make use of it. Maybe I should have said "allows to fund activities and make purchases in fiat related to the actual mission roadmap" instead of "raise money".

Keep in mind that the difficulty needs to be high enough to make it resistant to attacks...
See the above answer regarding the credentials incorporated into each block by a (network) of security servers that could form the backbone of a Martian internet.

Let me know what needs to be done, in your opinion, to convince you of Marscoin? Curious!

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:45:25 PM

Similar to a timestamping server here on Earth (or yes, even an ICANN like construct, but that is centralization, indeed). It will be in the Mars colonists' economic best self-interest to install server(s) that issue a list of timestamp marked credentials - which could be incorporated in each block to verify the mining occurred on Mars.
If a centralised system is desired, no blockchain is necessary at all.
Earth does not have any such timestamping restrictions on blocks.

Yes it does: the 300k (now 400k) of premined Marscoins are worth nothing at this point (well, on reddit they go for 10-80cents right now). If the incentive is strong enough, more and more fiat currencies will be exchanged for Marscoin driving up the price for Marscoins. That alone will make the initial premining worthwhile and allow MarsOne to actually make use of it. Maybe I should have said "allows to fund activities and make purchases in fiat related to the actual mission roadmap" instead of "raise money".
Higher supply decreases value, not increases it... so this doesn't really argue why it should be increased quicker.

Let me know what needs to be done, in your opinion, to convince you of Marscoin? Curious!
Well, now it sounds like the goal is a centralised system masquerading as a decentralised one...
I'd be more inclined to support a system that improves on Bitcoin (or at least retains its functionality) rather than seems to be introducing new problems without addressing the existing ones.

crocko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:57:30 PM

How much worth this MarsCoin ?

I mean in BTC, LTC ..

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
novalis788

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/marscoin/comments/1we9bz/buy_marscoin/

crocko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:06:06 PM

Some posts on reddit.com aren't a proof.

If MRS worth something, why this coin is not listed on Cryptsy / Coinex etc ? Like the MOON, DOGE, Terracoin  ?

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
novalis788

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 10:07:45 PM

It is not "desired" - it would only be necessary in the unlikely event of a massive attack from Earth. Something we could discuss for the next 10 years to figure out. How to best address.

Higher supply decreases value, not increases it... so this doesn't really argue why it should be increased quicker.
Psychology: "Oh no, all Marscoin will be gone by the time they leave". Vs. "Oh, they have 100 Mio. Marscoins of which only 30 Mio are mined on Earth, who cares, my grandchildren can mine on Mars".

Well, now it sounds like the goal is a centralised system masquerading as a decentralised one...
I'd be more inclined to support a system that improves on Bitcoin (or at least retains its functionality) rather than seems to be introducing new problems without addressing the existing ones.
Welcome suggestions how you would implement such a system, initially, when Mars mining server are week and hashrate on Earth is high. So far Marscoin is completely decentral and if we can keep it that way, the better. Check out http://mars-project.com for discussions on this topic and/or the Marscoin IRC channel.

quarkkid

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:38:54 PM

It is not "desired" - it would only be necessary in the unlikely event of a massive attack from Earth. Something we could discuss for the next 10 years to figure out. How to best address.

Psychology: "Oh no, all Marscoin will be gone by the time they leave". Vs. "Oh, they have 100 Mio. Marscoins of which only 30 Mio are mined on Earth, who cares, my grandchildren can mine on Mars".

Welcome suggestions how you would implement such a system, initially, when Mars mining server are week and hashrate on Earth is high. So far Marscoin is completely decentral and if we can keep it that way, the better. Check out http://mars-project.com for discussions on this topic and/or the Marscoin IRC channel.

Hey man, are you pushing for any exchanges?

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:45:31 PM

Welcome suggestions how you would implement such a system, initially, when Mars mining server are week and hashrate on Earth is high.
Yeah, I did give it some thought a few hours ago, but I was unable to come up with a workable solution Sad
I suppose martians could prioritise an ASIC foundry and manufacture a proprietary implementation of some new proof-of-work.
It might leak to Earth, but hopefully by then it will be "too late"? :p

Ng93

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:47:48 PM

Looks good
novalis788

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 02:54:29 AM

Hey man, are you pushing for any exchanges?

Pushing hard...all help welcome!

cryptsy.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/64091

We spoke to cryptsy CEO Paul Vernon at BTCMiami. Guess what, he is a MarsOne fan and liked the idea. Said they look at hashrate, community engagement, general idea of the coin before they list it. Just have to keep growing Marscoin in popularity and cryptsy will list.

Also applied at https://crypto-trade.com/ and https://cryptorush.in

Please support with votes and comments.

novalis788

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 03:02:55 AM

Yeah, I did give it some thought a few hours ago, but I was unable to come up with a workable solution Sad
I suppose martians could prioritise an ASIC foundry and manufacture a proprietary implementation of some new proof-of-work.
It might leak to Earth, but hopefully by then it will be "too late"? :p
LOL, yes: Eventually Mars colonists will overtake Earth anyways - they are closer to the Asteroid belt and can 3d metal-print giant scrypt-ASICS. Puny Earth network will shake in fear :-) The first interplanetary war will be about hashing power,  Grin

dombra

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:35:09 AM

i have 15000 MRS to sell for 0.75 or PM your offer
quarkkid

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:12:53 PM

Why is the diff taking so long to go up??

novalis788

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 05:16:37 AM

Why is the diff taking so long to go up??

2014-02-01 05:00:26   nActualTimespan = 85786  before bounds
2014-02-01 05:00:26 GetNextWorkRequired RETARGET
2014-02-01 05:00:26 nTargetTimespan = 88775    nActualTimespan = 85786
2014-02-01 05:00:26 Before: 1d01d3c9  00000001d3c90000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
2014-02-01 05:00:26 After:  1d01c408  00000001c408fd5b0c013bf5ee1d85f4ce350de114be0efd4c4849d87cd45217

acording to the logs on my end, the network is producing blocks about 3% too fast, and it does appear to have changed the difficulty slightly to match (thanks cleverca22 for pointing out)

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: