Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:14:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If I built one, would there be any interest?
You have my full support - 10 (66.7%)
I'll suport it, but not for me - 1 (6.7%)
I have no interest in this - 4 (26.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Virtual Market  (Read 4279 times)
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 06:50:53 AM

I wouldn't use it myself atm, but seeing the success and hype that secondlife has got in its time, I wouldn't call that a bad idea either.
If we can get the hoards of SL users to adopt Bitcoin as a cheaper and more convenient alternate to the Linden dollar, that would bring a sizeable amount of capital in the Bitcoin economy and will make headlines in the news.
This project is a good starting point as if it successes, shops will need to hire the services of virtual goods designer who tend to be second life buffs..

I was just thinking more about what BKKcoins was saying about needing to put all the coins into a central wallet before going into the mall. I could have either Kitsune or Kurin write a script where when the user clicks on the item or goes to buy the item, their redirected to that vendors page to buy it instead, seeing how trust has become a huge problem here -.-.
There is no point shopping in a virtual mall if one has to revert to the vendor's webpage to complete the transaction.
What you want is immersion and seemless integration.
There is a way you can get that : hack the viewer to send JSON payment commands to the Bitcoin client and find a way to integrate that feature in the GUI. You can have the keys exchanged using avatar dialogs.
If you can't do that yourself, create a bounty to get it done.

Also, thinking about it more, I think the shops might be too small as their 10x20m but I dunno what dimensions to make them as I don't know the dimensions of a shop in real life and i'm sure they'd arrest me on sight if I tried to measure. Any idea what to make them?
Count in steps, nobody is going to arrest you for strolling a shop.
Or more simple : check the floor plans and dimensions in real estate announces.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
logansryche (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 12:14:39 PM

I wouldn't use it myself atm, but seeing the success and hype that secondlife has got in its time, I wouldn't call that a bad idea either. If we can get the hoards of SL users to adopt Bitcoin as a cheaper and more convenient alternate to the Linden dollar, that would bring a sizeable amount of capital in the Bitcoin economy and will make headlines in the news. This project is a good starting point as if it successes, shops will need to hire the services of virtual goods designer who tend to be second life buffs..

I don't think it would be a good idea to try and convince hundreds if not thousands of SL folks that bitcoins are a good idea, and more so since this would be a virtual outdoor marketplace(think flea market/swamp meet/convention center). I posted pics from one done up in sketchup that I'm going to go with.

I think alot of folks are missing the point that this would be a virtual marketplace and not a virtual world(although that could come along if the marketplace becomes popular; then it would make sense to try and convince folks to move over to this new world that takes bitcoins).
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: