Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:43:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal "following me in my dream"  (Read 181 times)
InvoKing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2018, 11:36:38 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2018, 12:32:32 AM by InvoKing

I do hate PayPal so much.
My brother had a bad experience with it in the past (5 years ago? or more not sure) and now it is my turn but mind you, I didn't create any account in it!!!
I received lately 3 emails from them, the first to confirm my email associated with their account, of course i didn't create the account so I assume someone knowing my professional email (not the one I used in bitcointalk) and he is trolling it all over the web from Netflix (which I changed the password, logged out all the devices and disabled the offer easily) to PayPal.
Second mail is about a payment in wish(dot)com and it is the first time being aware about this trashy service (not recommended crappy goods afaik from the feedbacks) and the third email about PayPal one touch (what the hell is this also!).
Rage mode 1, i tried to write an email to them but I need to log in!!! I don't have the password since I didn't create the account!, I pressed forgot password but I need to confirm with the phone number which isn't mine obviously!!!
The hell am i playing maze with them or running in a loop! I don't want to (lose ma moneh) call them so i figured out a way to send them a message using some privacy or dunno what's the correct name exactly...
The best part is receiving a confirmation mail that they will look on this issue and they will call me in 24 hours... We will see!
I have now to prove that the account having my name in it and in the email isn't mine and ask them to block it and to ask the impersonator to prove his identity... This is ridiculous.
Save the panda and the penguin, don't ever use this crappy service that make your life harder even if you don't have any contact with it.

Edit : moving it here to avoid spam in the off-topic.
Edit 2 : forgot to add to use Bitcoin or any shitcoins rather than using RapePal.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
atrocityx

Activity: 336
Merit: 71

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 01:36:47 AM

That certainly is annoying and I would freak out.  Especially not having an account with them at all, sheesh! My bad experiences came from actually using Paypal.. I was selling some in-game items back in 2000 for Everquest... I sent out a total of about 1500.00 worth of end game items that I had received payments for and was told that the transaction was okay.. Seven days later they reversed all of the person's payments and said they used a stolen credit card.... lol?  I ended up getting the money back because I was so pissed I actually tracked the person who stole it down because he used a .com address and I did a /whois and found his house information and called the kid's parents who then through a long period of time and knowing I wouldn't give up, reluctantly paid it.   I know this isn't quite within the realm of what happened to you, but just showing another example of how Paypal indeed sucks.  They ALWAYS side with the buyer... and have ridiculous highway robbery level fees.   Warning to everyone, don't use it Smiley
InvoKing (OP)
Legendary

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2018, 12:25:28 PM

and have ridiculous highway robbery level fees.   Warning to everyone, don't use it Smiley

Agree with this. You were lucky to find his id, this method was working fluently before but now fake ids is the commodity.
What made me really angry apart the fact that my name was used to create the account is that i didn't find any way to contact them apart from calling the phone number that they provided which i will not use.
Figuring out this privacy trick to send the message solved my issue finally, i received an email today and they restricted the account as I proposed until the imposter provide my personal informations which will never happens.
The shitty part is that I don't know what he bought exactly in "wish" but I assume ~$20 cannot buy a missile so I will just forget it and this shitty experience.
Invest-or

Activity: 322
Merit: 20

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 12:27:22 AM

I do hate PayPal so much.
My brother had a bad experience with it in the past (5 years ago? or more not sure) and now it is my turn but mind you, I didn't create any account in it!!!
I received lately 3 emails from them, the first to confirm my email associated with their account, of course i didn't create the account so I assume someone knowing my professional email (not the one I used in bitcointalk) and he is trolling it all over the web from Netflix (which I changed the password, logged out all the devices and disabled the offer easily) to PayPal.
Second mail is about a payment in wish(dot)com and it is the first time being aware about this trashy service (not recommended crappy goods afaik from the feedbacks) and the third email about PayPal one touch (what the hell is this also!).
Rage mode 1, i tried to write an email to them but I need to log in!!! I don't have the password since I didn't create the account!, I pressed forgot password but I need to confirm with the phone number which isn't mine obviously!!!

Excuse my naivety, but you have no PayPal account, someone created an account with your mail an ordered services. I don´t clearly understand how are you going to get in any trouble or loss any money. None of your cards or payment methods are associated with the account, so... Now what?

InvoKing (OP)
Legendary

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2018, 09:33:18 AM

Excuse my naivety, but you have no PayPal account, someone created an account with your mail an ordered services. I don´t clearly understand how are you going to get in any trouble or loss any money. None of your cards or payment methods are associated with the account, so... Now what?

Well, the used email is a professional one so it wasn't known by many people and it has my full name.
The fact that someone registered in PayPal + Netflix under your name + your location + add a payment credit card + phone number close to those which was used by me (have to check both since I changed the 2 several times) means that I was hacked which is unlikely to happens or that someone is playing a dirty game.
For Netflix i fixed the issue in few minutes and since the trial period was activated, I cannot use it in the future...it isn't a big problem anyway.
For PayPal it took me more than an hour to find a way to proceed and fix it. Now imagine someone buying an illegal thing (might be a legal thing in his country) and ship it to my country? I will get in trouble and will have to convince the authorities that it wasn't me who did it while I have the access to the email + a correct name + address! It will be an awkward moments Undecided
Maybe my reaction was exaggerated but the fact that you see your correct name + email + location used by a third party without knowing the reason behind it is kinda messy, paypal has to verify its customer to prevent this scammy behaviour.
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 07:10:43 AM

Not sure if I'm missing something, but wouldn't this "hack" be doable with any site that has 2fa?
If you your mail hacked, the hacker can create an account on any site and add his own phone.
I don't see what paypal has to do with it.

What prevents someone from registering with your real name and with his own email?

this is a good site to check your mail address occasionally: https://haveibeenpwned.com/
InvoKing (OP)
Legendary

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2018, 01:45:42 PM

Not sure if I'm missing something, but wouldn't this "hack" be doable with any site that has 2fa?
If you your mail hacked, the hacker can create an account on any site and add his own phone.
I don't see what paypal has to do with it.
The problem with PayPal is that it complicates simple things. If you want to report an abuse, you should be able doing it easily not by using hidden features... I compared how easily I fixed the Netflix problem in less than 10 minutes while took me an hour to contact them and 10 hours to get the account restricted.

What prevents someone from registering with your real name and with his own email?
Nothing. But in this case if you don't have any clue, then you will have 0 stress Wink

this is a good site to check your mail address occasionally: https://haveibeenpwned.com/
Yep, thanks for remembering me about it, the result is negative as expected and I am almost sure that I wasn't hacked however I changed my password that day.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: