Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:08:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BE AWARE OF BITMAIN SCAM PHONE CALLS  (Read 168 times)
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 09:44:11 AM

from bitmain

Dear subscriber,

We have recently learned that someone has been calling Bitmain customers. The phone number appears to be our customer service number in China. The caller claims to be offering an "S11" miner. Rumors of a Bitmain S11 miner have been going around the internet for several months.  Bitmain does not offer an "S11" miner and has made no announcement of such a miner.

Please be advised that Bitmain never contacts customers by telephone to announce new products.

For more detail please see this article: https://blog.bitmain.com/en/fraudulent-websites-and-scams-alert/

For official updates and Bitmain news please follow our blog: https://blog.bitmain.com/en/

For information on our products please refer to our official website or Twitter account. You may also subscribe to email announcements.

We continually monitor our system to ensure the security of customer information. Thank you for your continued support.

Best regards

The Bitmain team

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2018, 02:44:16 PM

The phone number appears to be our customer service number in China.

Huh! "appears to be" they are trolling people out there.
And no word was said about who is responsible for this scam and the punishment...

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 05:22:35 PM

The phone number appears to be our customer service number in China.

Huh! "appears to be" they are trolling people out there.
And no word was said about who is responsible for this scam and the punishment...

yeah, I have not had this call yet, but watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUkj3ZIKGS8 the person on the phone confirms everything and know what you have ordered and where it is shipping to, but DO NOT ask for any money? it is not suspected someone on the inside is working with organized theft gangs to steal the miners at destination.

I had bad problems with shipping lots of miners from bitmain months ago and have not bought from them directly since, but I dont hate them enough to not use their equipment lol, all the units I have now are second hand, and I am now glad I have nothing to do with bitmain, I am interested in how this unfolds, I am in fear for many people who have big orders out there, this may be the tip of an iceberg, or may just be a lone ranger trying something on and gets caught.
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 06:18:01 PM

It is nice to see that Bitmain has early on informed their customers for the ongoing fraud that is happening, however they must have go in detail on how this scam is working, like how did the call go through and how will the caller scam the customer. Also it is not clear to me when they have said that the "phone number appears to be a customer service in China", Bitmain being located in China and based on their statement means that their own customer service is the one scamming people, they must clarify their statement more.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 8906

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2018, 07:10:38 PM

How did the scammers get the phone numbers of Bitmain customers?
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 08:56:17 PM

I'm not aware of any crypto business that actually actively calls their customers to promote their products. It's simply not something that is done very often. So if you do receive these calls, do verify the legitimacy of what they're trying to tell you, before believing them.

Exactly, that is my question as well.

You have to link your phone for verification purposes when you sign up to Bitmain, but other than that, they don't really use your phone for anything. It could potentially mean a leak of customer info on Bitmain, or other crypto sites, and the scammer is just going around to call the numbers in the database.

Smiley
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1920

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 06:24:24 AM
Merited by suchmoon (5)

Scammers got the data by hacking Bitmain back around August last year.

Poor computer database security got all the personal details stolen.
One of their servers got compromised, and accounts information was stolen. Data breach includes user data, including encrypted passwords, email addresses and phone numbers.

https://bitcoiner.today/en/stolen-data-from-bitmain-customers-miners-in-danger/

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: