Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:14:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Please confirm I indeed lost these coins  (Read 964 times)
gnacl (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:53:20 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2014, 09:22:51 AM by gnacl

Hello,

Such a dumbass! I'm currently learning on the steep curve...

Please confirm I really lost my BTC, here's the short story :

- In MultiBit, I created a new receive address and someone sent me 0.4 BTC to it.
- After that I deleted this receiving address from the client (yes, I did this! Was thinking I will not re-use it anymore) before the client got closed, thus not allowing it to produce an updated wallet backup containing this address.

Now, the only I have is my original wallet (without the given receiving address). I have access to this wallet no problem, but this 0.4 BTC transaction is lost forever, right ?

There isn't any chance to re-add the deleted address to this wallet, isn't it ?

THANKS A LOT for your insights as I'm currently quite lost. But at least learning...  :-(

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:55:47 AM

try the repair wallet command in the console

( worth a try )

dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:56:00 AM

This may be the most effective and easy way I've ever heard of to completely destroy bitcoins.
gnacl (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:07:03 AM

Thanks for your answers !

So there really is no chance I ever recover this address, although it got generated by the wallet I still posess ?

I'm missing the private key to this address, right ?  No chance to ever get it back ?
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:17:21 AM

Maybe a backup was automatically created. Check the multibit-data folder where your wallet is stored.

I didn't know Multibit allowed you to remove a receiving address. What version are you using?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
gnacl (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:33:39 AM

You're right, MultiBit (using version 0.5.16) doesn't allow deleting a receiving address. I perhaps don't recall right. But then, how come my wallet doesn't display this address anymore ?

I have 6 wallet backups around the time the problem occured, but loading any of these 6 backups doesn't show this address anymore.

If there's still a way to recover these coins (as I still have access to the original file) I would really appreciate the help and reward that. But I think I just have to stop dreaming, right ?
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:36:07 AM

You're right, MultiBit (using version 0.5.16) doesn't allow deleting a receiving address. I perhaps don't recall right. But then, how come my wallet doesn't display this address anymore ?

I have 6 wallet backups around the time the problem occured, but loading any of these 6 backups doesn't show this address anymore.

If there's still a way to recover these coins (as I still have access to the original file) I would really appreciate the help and reward that. But I think I just have to stop dreaming, right ?

did you try the repair wallet command ?

gnacl (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:43:12 AM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 09:25:00 AM by gnacl

You mean "Reset Blockchain and Transactions" ?

Already tried that, but would love to hear there's still another way...  What do you mean by Repair Wallet command ?
gnacl (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:24:46 PM

Please, could someone categorically certify these coins are lost ?  I'd rather no more think about and definitely consider them as lost if I knew there's no way...

0.2 BTC to anyone able to help me recover the lost BTC in this ~0.39 BTC transaction (so 50%), knowing I still have the original wallet, it's passphrase and the transaction address showing the ~0.39 BTC.

If it's possible, please help me and cash the reward. Otherwise just tell me I'm a stupid idiot and I wont even bother as it's deserved...
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:46:05 PM

Please, could someone categorically certify these coins are lost ?  I'd rather no more think about and definitely consider them as lost if I knew there's no way...

0.2 BTC to anyone able to help me recover the lost BTC in this ~0.39 BTC transaction (so 50%), knowing I still have the original wallet, it's passphrase and the transaction address showing the ~0.39 BTC.

If it's possible, please help me and cash the reward. Otherwise just tell me I'm a stupid idiot and I wont even bother as it's deserved...

does that program use a standard wallet.dat ? if so you could try loading it with the standard BTC client then do the repair wallet or salvage wallet command

R2D221

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:27:20 PM

did you try the repair wallet command ?
I don't think that option is available in Multibit. I've never seen it.

gnacl (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:22:30 AM

No, this option doesn't seem to exist for MultiBit. Nevermind, I'll try to forget those 0.4 DGC...

THANKS anyone for the help provided !

My understanding was that, as this original wallet was able to at first create this address based on my private key, it should be possible to tell MultiBit to create a new one with this SAME address and not a random one, thus providing access to the lost coins. But I think I'm not enough into cryptography to understand the whole thing right. Or perhaps someone with better knowledge would be able to recover these coins, but anyway, I'm glad I wasn't talking about 200 BTC...  ;-)

I'll better check my backups from now. Was a long time I didn't loose anything, but it's a good thing life manages to remember us the importance of good backups...

Kind regards
R2D221

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:45:31 PM

My understanding was that, as this original wallet was able to at first create this address based on my private key, it should be possible to tell MultiBit to create a new one with this SAME address and not a random one, thus providing access to the lost coins.
Since currently keys are generated randomly, the only way to generate the same address would be to have it stored somewhere. It gets saved on multibit.wallet, but if it was saved somewhere else, it would be dangerous because the key could be stolen without the user even knowing it was stored there in the first place. HD wallets fix this as they are not random (they have a random seed, but it's the same seed for all new addresses).

Nevermind, I'll try to forget those 0.4 DGC...
I thought this was Bitcoin, not Dogecoin :O

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: