Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:58:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [MRY] Murraycoin ▪ The Only Currency Worthy of Bill Murray ▪ Now Scrypt-2048  (Read 117839 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bholzer (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 01:51:52 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 02:34:22 AM by bholzer

lol new mac wallet is brilliant! where are the glitches? dont seem to see any on my air?? also please answer my pm when u can bholzer! Thank you!  Kiss

No glitches that I'm aware of; I was referring to the status at that point in development (which was never released). The version we released should be good to go.

Source+Overview by EOD.

murrayCOIN The Only Currency Worthy of the NameBitcointalk Thread BTC: 1KY5kptnac4HLbF9Rn1Y6J8wPrM734db42
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
murraygirl

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 03:29:26 AM

lol new mac wallet is brilliant! where are the glitches? dont seem to see any on my air?? also please answer my pm when u can bholzer! Thank you!  Kiss

No glitches that I'm aware of; I was referring to the status at that point in development (which was never released). The version we released should be good to go.

Source+Overview by EOD.

gotcha  Smiley
syncsam

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 09:35:24 PM

Hey Bholzer,
   Just let you know that I have been unable to open the new murraycoin QT on mac, tried on 2 different systems both running 10.9, I will PM you the error report

bholzer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 10:05:11 PM

Murraycoin 0.9.2 has been officially released for all major platforms and the source has been updated on GitHub. To upgrade, please visit https://www.murraycoin.org or use the updated download links on the first post in the thread.

Currently, we are less than 4000 blocks away from the fork at block 130,000. While many of you have already updated... I know there are many who have not - please help get the word out. We will contact Cryptsy, Xnigma, and the handful of other services that are currently using Murraycoin to ensure they are updated to the latest release before the fork hits. Obviously, we would have preferred more notice. However, we wanted to fast-track the fork to help smooth out the Murraycoin network. Also, we stripped out many pieces of in-development code and non-critical code from the public source on GitHub - this "tearing down" process took longer than we had hoped but we wanted to protect some of the upcoming innovation to ensure it remains Murraycoin-exclusive (at least for a few days!) once we release it.

We have already had an individual contact us inquiring about the icons in the GitHub source not being the same as the icons in the compiled clients - this is the explanation: We pulled the Murraycoin icons out of the GitHub source as we developed them in-house and did not want to include them under the open license. Over 15 coins (that we're aware of) have used the original Murraycoin icons since release (for example, DigiByte) and despite none of them figuring out how to display them properly... we have received a number of accusations for stealing icons that we created ourselves! While this sounds superficial, we have contributed a great deal to Bitcoin Core development over the past 12 months and have certainly done our part in contributing to cryptocurrency innovation. The Qt client can still be compiled from source as all icons were replaced with the original Bitcoin Core equivalents.

So, without further ado, the details of the new client and the fork:

Murraycoin 0.9.2 is built on Bitcoin Core 0.9.2. That means all of the latest features that have gone into Bitcoin Core 0.9+ in addition to all of the enhancements in 0.9.1 and the upcoming 0.9.2 client have been polished and combined with some Murraycoin-exclusive code. We have tweaks several areas as well including an increase to the available block sizes/etc and everything else outlined below. To our knowledge, no other Scrypt-N coin is using the the Bitcoin Core 0.9+ source so that is another plus. Although we are not Scrypt-N, per se, please read on for the details.

At block 130k, the new difficulty adjustment method kicks in. Difficulty will begin adjusting after every block using a weighted algorithm (not unlike KGW - just slightly different). This will ease the impact multipools are having on both extreme difficulty fluctuation and the subsequent auto-dumps on the exchanges. This is a positive for value, a positive for network consistency, and a negative for multipools (which, in turn, is positive for crypto, in my opinion).

On July 4th, 2014 the PoW algorithm will switch from standard Scrypt to Scrypt-2048. We will release MurrayMiner before that point but Vertminer will also work for the time being (until VTC switches to Scrypt-4096). The reasons we opted switch the algorithm and, beyond that, to go with Scrypt-2048 instead of the (now-popular) Scrypt-N are numerous:

There are so many scrypt coins out there and so many multipools that we felt it didn't make sense to stick with scrypt. With scrypt, people are investing more and more money into ASIC miners and they are more focused than ever on simply mining the most profitable coins of the second with no regard as to what they are or what they stand for. This does not fit the Murraycoin image nor our long-term goals. We aren't as concerned about the centralization effect ASIC miners can have on crypto as we are with so many great, innovative coins being nothing more than a means to an end. Murraycoin has always been about community and real people getting involved in something fun and cool - raping the network with countless ASIC-produced gigahashes and auto-dumping on an exchange isn't either of those things. Remaining scrypt would solidify us as just another stepping stone in the crowded world of crypto.

Now, why didn't we choose to go with Scrypt-N? Won't Scrypt-2048 ASICs start rolling out soon creating the same problems as outlined above? Well, we made a calculated decision here. First of all, as far as I can see, Murraycoin will be the only Scrypt-2048 coin. In 2015, when the Scrypt-N coins switch to Scrypt-4096 automatically, Scrypt-2048 ASIC miners would no longer have a purpose. Even if companies do decide to produce Scrypt-2048 miners (doubtful) that's still not a bad thing for Murraycoin - it just means everybody that has a Scrypt-2048 ASIC will have to mine Murraycoin! Also, we are aware of at least one manufacturer already working on Scrypt-4096 ASIC chips - what this means is that Scrypt-N could actually be a major target for ASIC miners once the algorithm adjusts next year. Finally, the high memory requirements of Scrypt-4096 make it extremely inefficient for previous generation GPUs to mine (and even current generation GPUs, really). This means, at least at first, Scrypt-4096 will actually be a target for CPU miners; this means botnets/etc could begin entering the picture early into the Scrypt-N switch. There will also be a number of miners who suddenly have worthless GPU mining rigs - they can't mine scrypt coins due to all of the ASICs and they can't mine Scrypt-N due to the high memory requirements of Scrypt-4096. GPU values will plummet and people will be holding obsolete mining hardware. We wanted something stable with no surprises - we know Scrypt-2048 can be efficiently mined on GPUs as most Scrypt-N coins are being mined with them right now. We don't want people holding a bunch of useless hardware - we want to build the strength and stability of the network.

As Murraycoin grows, it's my opinion that (nearly) everybody will be on the same page. We know there is a lot of work to be done to get us there but Murraycoin will rise - I personally guarantee it. We have a lot going for us and we are truly just getting started. 5 months seems like an eternity in the altcoin universe because most coins are pumped, dumped, and the dev disappears within a couple of months - we're a bright light in an increasingly seedy world and I'm confident that will be an asset when it's time to start moving all of the pieces into place.

Murraycoin paper wallet generator should be up tonight. It's possible we will be making some tweaks to various things/etc but please update to the latest version right away - we need everybody on the correct fork! Both of the seeds have been updated, FusionHash has updated, and we will add additional dedicated seeds as well over the next couple days. If you guys have any questions/comments/concerns please let me know.

It's time to rise up. Onward and upward!

murrayCOIN The Only Currency Worthy of the NameBitcointalk Thread BTC: 1KY5kptnac4HLbF9Rn1Y6J8wPrM734db42
bholzer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 10:06:52 PM

Hey Bholzer,
   Just let you know that I have been unable to open the new murraycoin QT on mac, tried on 2 different systems both running 10.9, I will PM you the error report

I will check into this right away. I didn't have any issues on 10.8.5 or 10.9.3 but perhaps there is a prerequisite I am unaware of that I had in my build environment. Will certainly have this resolved shortly.

bholzer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 02:26:32 AM

Just a follow-up on the Mac wallet: I believe the issue is due to missing boost libraries (or at least a small portion of the libraries). Everything ran fine on my build machines because I have the libraries installed (via homebrew). I just reproduced the issue on a fresh MacBook - will get this resolved and an updated Mac client released ASAP.

Also just a note to let you guys know we have the Android Murraycoin wallet nearly completed. Everything should start rolling out soon along with some info on partnership statuses/etc.

btcgoods

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:32:12 AM

Thanks for the many updates! It's christmas all over again!

snakey
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 08:10:43 AM

Nice bholzer, Thanks for the updates.

Murray to the moon...
bholzer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 09:42:16 AM

Mac OS X wallet should be rocking and rolling. The issue is that I was using Homebrew and poured the majority of dependencies from the bottle; Boost, among others, was not properly configured with clang/libc++. I junked Homebrew and built all dependencies from source (which may have been overkill but I'm not interested in any additional guess-and-check work) and now we're on solid ground. Some of the more recent Bitcoin Core commits I implemented in Murraycoin actually lead me astray by suppressing warnings that otherwise would have been there; they will surely want to revert some of those commits on Bitcoin Core 0.9.2 before it moves to master and I will submit a bugfix for them ASAP. The reason I didn't notice any issues was that I had all of the dependencies installed on both of my test machines. Beyond that, both of the individuals I provided a pre-release .dmg to frequently build on their Macs so again I got the thumbs up.

The latest OS X version was tested on a brand new MacBook w/ OS X 10.9.3 right from the factory. I also wiped all prerequisites from an OS X 10.8.5 VM and installed the latest Murraycoin client without a hitch.

Here are the downloads for Murraycoin 0.9.2 (again, this is a required update as there will be a hard-fork at block 130,000):

Downloads

Hollowman338
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 01:27:36 PM

Impressive dedication, and a refreshing lack of drama in a crypto-world seemingly filled with children and megalomaniacs
swainzag

Activity: 209

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:29:47 PM

Impressive dedication, and a refreshing lack of drama in a crypto-world seemingly filled with children and megalomaniacs

Murraycoin for the most part has been very drama free outside of a couple of trolls.  Good community with great dedicated dev team, welcome aboard!

murrayCOIN - The Only Currency Worthy of the Name
Hollowman338
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:42:47 PM

Murraycoin for the most part has been very drama free outside of a couple of trolls.  Good community with great dedicated dev team, welcome aboard!

I've been in MRY for months now.  I just got out of the supernova of drama that was shibecoin.  What an absolute disaster.  It's refreshing to see MRY just plugging right along.   Cool
murraygirl

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:42:05 AM

bholzer: thanks again! one thing: can you change the color of the text on the bottom when the wallet is catching up? nitpicky but it's the most beautiful wallet I've seen so might as well make it perfect! can't read the white on gray very well. maybe it's just my macbook.  Huh or maybe I just have bad  Shocked

lol. also please write me back when you can! I want to help out. I have all summer free!
GWCalvert

Activity: 167

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 09:58:47 PM

Hey bholzer,

I just came over here to update my Murraycoin wallet and the download links all say "not found" when clicked, both here and on the website. Maybe the service is down? Check it out and I'll try to send some hashes your way, when I get updated.

888: 8TSFGEFRSXc7fjWt9RPQF1iGUe7T3J2GL1  Emerald Crypto Thread
bholzer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 12:21:05 AM

Hey bholzer,

I just came over here to update my Murraycoin wallet and the download links all say "not found" when clicked, both here and on the website. Maybe the service is down? Check it out and I'll try to send some hashes your way, when I get updated.

Rackspace/Akamai CDN dropped out in Chicago which just happens to be where our primary buckets are. Not sure why it wouldn't just resolve to another node but, in any case, I opened up a ticket and it's now resolved. Thanks for your support!

GWCalvert

Activity: 167

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 01:14:03 AM

Thanks. I downloaded the new wallet. Looks good.

My old Murraycoins were getting lonely. Its not much, but I'll move my little miner over to the pool later tonight and see if I can find them some companions.

888: 8TSFGEFRSXc7fjWt9RPQF1iGUe7T3J2GL1  Emerald Crypto Thread
bholzer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 01:28:28 AM

Thanks. I downloaded the new wallet. Looks good.

My old Murraycoins were getting lonely. Its not much, but I'll move my little miner over to the pool later tonight and see if I can find them some companions.

Awesome man - looking forward to this new chapter in the Murraycoin saga. I'm happy with where things are going even if we got bumped off course briefly. If you weren't already aware, Murraycoin will be switching over to Scrypt-2048 on July 4th so if you still have any GPUs laying around you can dust them off and put them to work without competition from ASICs. In fact, FusionHash is working on a scrypt multipool that will automatically cash in for Murraycoin and it should release around the same time they launch their X11 multipool for OctoCoin. This opposite-dumping effect should help build the market cap rapidly which will be key when going back to the table to ink partnerships. Right now, at current prices, these charities aren't getting overly excited (despite my sincere optimism).

The new difficulty formula that kicks in a few days from now will help quite a bit with the surges in network speed and the multipools dumping coins on Cryptsy. I've taken full advantage of all of these multipool dumps over the past couple months but it's time to get everything where it needs to be so we can move forward as intended.

MEGAman

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I'm gonna clean up this town

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:09:20 AM

If you guys are buying MRY just do what I do and put low buy orders out there. The multipools will slowly dump to you and you get coins a lot cheaper than buying up the sell order book. 1 bitcoin could triple the price on Cryptsy. When the bholzer pump comes it's going to be MEGAepic but don't waste your money overpaying when we have extremely predictable multipools in the mix. Enjoy 3 more days of multipools before the fork hits and everything goes north without those dumps. I'm already deep into MRY and am officially tapped out of BTC for now so that's my advice - buy more for less with low buy orders. Ignore the sell book because multipools have no logic or anything - they just dump to the highest bidders. Almost every day somebody goes crazy and pays double and all it does is activate the multipools instantly and dump the price back down anyway. Enjoy cheap MRY for a few more days and don't overpay!
brianbbad

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 02:26:03 AM

Well, I'm off to the Chive meetup!  Cool
Has Cryptsy responded to messages about the hard fork / software update yet? (I saw a tweet was sent to them but I assume other modes of communication were also used, right?)
bholzer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 07:49:30 AM

Well, I'm off to the Chive meetup!  Cool
Has Cryptsy responded to messages about the hard fork / software update yet? (I saw a tweet was sent to them but I assume other modes of communication were also used, right?)

I have sent them a few messages; still waiting on confirmation. I will push the issue if I haven't heard anything back within 12 hours.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »
  Print  

Jump to: