Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:50:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Allowing a separate key to view account  (Read 663 times)
Salavator (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 12:16:55 PM

As I understand it (and I am new to this so I might be wrong) the best way to keep your bitcoins safe is to make your wallet in a live cd environment, make copies of the wallet on removable media and then send bitcoins to this account from a second account on your main computer (on which you only keep a small amount of bitcoins due to venerability to viruses) . However this means that you cannot check that your bitcoins have reached your account without starting up a live cd and reinstalling the bitcoin client and your wallet key.

Would it not be possible to generate a second key for your wallet that allows you only to view the account but not actually send any bitcoins, this would allow you to keep tabs on your main account without the risk of your wallet being stolen.

I imagine this feature might have other advantages to it as well.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 12:25:46 PM

If you decrypted only the public keys you could do this, but it would take quite a bit of re-engineering the GUI to support a "read only" mode.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2011, 12:42:48 PM

You can look up the address in http://blockexplorer.com/ .

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2011, 01:04:23 PM

Using the wallet encryption in upcoming version 0.4, this is possible: the client is fully functional without entering the password, except for doing transactions.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: