Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:05:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is Closed. If you were cool enough you would already be here!  (Read 4154 times)
cablepair (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 03:51:46 PM

This is a real problem in the Bitcoin community that I feel needs to be discussed.

I remember when I first found out about Bitcoin, it was just early spring time this year, right before Bitcoin hit the big time. Bitcoin was worth 0.85 USD, and the difficulty was so low that my first day mining with a GPU I mined 8 coins with a single 5870 that wasn't even overclocked (ahh the good old days) Smiley

The Bitcoin forums at that time were a completely different environment. There was a real sense of openness and adventure. People welcome each others ideas. Free thought was encouraged! It was an exciting time.

I know this sounds like I am reminiscing about the good old days but this was only like six months ago! I don't know what happened!?

There is no openess, there is no encouragement. Free thought!? You better keep it to yourself man.

You have got this superiority disease that seems to have infected nearly everyone - these Elitist Super geeks who think they are smarter than anyone, sitting up on their high horses and looking down at everyone. Trying to find new ways to exclude people and new ways to put them selves up on a pedestal

Then you have the trolls. Searching and Searching for an idea to squash, for some confidence to extinguish. is it Attack or be attacked? You really do not make yourself look better by putting down others. This bully mentality is disgusting.

On top of that you have the Pool Hop generation. The guys who have an entitlement complex.  The resentful Bitcoin youth that jumped on the band wagon when BTC was trading for $30 USD and now want to take every crumb that isnt nailed down. Listen fellas the Bitcoin world does not owe you anything.

I sympathize with the Bitcoin forum Mods and Admins I really do, you have a very hard job trying to keep this place under control, but as this forum is basically the epicenter of the Bitcoin world I do not agree with the newbie system. I think that we need to include as many people from outside as possible and not exclude them just because they got here late. I understand why we have this system and the purpose it is supposed to be serving is good but I personally believe it does more hard to Bitcoin than good.

Bitcoin is Closed! - For most people this is what they think and feel, the people who are first hearing about Bitcoin today, and they come to the forums and start looking around , that banner "Bitcoin is closed" this is how they feel and its hurting Bitcoin as a whole.

Thank you for your time in reading this, and if I offended you I am sorry. I love Bitcoin, I truly do and like many of you I have a lot of time, and money invested and I really want to see Bitcoin succeed. This thread was created to get people thinking about the good of Bitcoin and the good in themselves.

I happily invite all input, but please use good judgement and answer as the mature adult you are, I do now want this to turn into an argument.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 03:57:43 PM

This is a real problem in the Bitcoin community that I feel needs to be discussed.

I remember when I first found out about Bitcoin, it was just early spring time this year, right before Bitcoin hit the big time. Bitcoin was worth 0.85 USD, and the difficulty was so low that my first day mining with a GPU I mined 8 coins with a single 5870 that wasn't even overclocked (ahh the good old days) Smiley

The Bitcoin forums at that time were a completely different environment. There was a real sense of openness and adventure. People welcome each others ideas. Free thought was encouraged! It was an exciting time.

I know this sounds like I am reminiscing about the good old days but this was only like six months ago! I don't know what happened!?

There is no openess, there is no encouragement. Free thought!? You better keep it to yourself man.

You have got this superiority disease that seems to have infected nearly everyone - these Elitist Super geeks who think they are smarter than anyone, sitting up on their high horses and looking down at everyone. Trying to find new ways to exclude people and new ways to put them selves up on a pedestal

Then you have the trolls. Searching and Searching for an idea to squash, for some confidence to extinguish. is it Attack or be attacked? You really do not make yourself look better by putting down others. This bully mentality is disgusting.

On top of that you have the Pool Hop generation. The guys who have an entitlement complex.  The resentful Bitcoin youth that jumped on the band wagon when BTC was trading for $30 USD and now want to take every crumb that isnt nailed down. Listen fellas the Bitcoin world does not owe you anything.

I sympathize with the Bitcoin forum Mods and Admins I really do, you have a very hard job trying to keep this place under control, but as this forum is basically the epicenter of the Bitcoin world I do not agree with the newbie system. I think that we need to include as many people from outside as possible and not exclude them just because they got here late. I understand why we have this system and the purpose it is supposed to be serving is good but I personally believe it does more hard to Bitcoin than good.

Bitcoin is Closed! - For most people this is what they think and feel, the people who are first hearing about Bitcoin today, and they come to the forums and start looking around , that banner "Bitcoin is closed" this is how they feel and its hurting Bitcoin as a whole.

Thank you for your time in reading this, and if I offended you I am sorry. I love Bitcoin, I truly do and like many of you I have a lot of time, and money invested and I really want to see Bitcoin succeed. This thread was created to get people thinking about the good of Bitcoin and the good in themselves.

I happily invite all input, but please use good judgement and answer as the mature adult you are, I do now want this to turn into an argument.

+3.14159265...  I have nothing intelligent to add to this.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 03:59:09 PM

Hey there,

I can see from your writing, that you have Bitcoins best intentions at heart and you want to see it grow. I do agree with you that the forums are not what they used to be, but I think theres a major flaw in your point

Forums != Bitcoin

Why? Because your focusing on only these forums for your perspective.
I just spent the past 2 days at OVC11 conference in nyc presenting, advocating, and discussing bitcoin and the future.
The overwhelming outsider turnout mixed in the amazing, 'wow' factor and ideas that came out of the meetings showed me that Bitcoin is moving past these forums.

Our jobs are to take bitcoin mainstream, and I am doing everything I can to make that happen. After meeting with mainstream businesses, lawyers and other bitcoin business owners, we have big plans coming your way very soon.

The forums do not define Bitcoin, neither should you.

BITCOIN IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS BABY!!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 04:02:40 PM

Hey there,

I can see from your writing, that you have Bitcoins best intentions at heart and you want to see it grow. I do agree with you that the forums are not what they used to be, but I think theres a major flaw in your point

Forums != Bitcoin

I just spent the past 2 days at OVC11 conference in nyc presenting, advocating, and discussing bitcoin and the future.
The overwhelming outsider turnout mixed in the amazing, 'wow' factor and ideas that came out of the meetings showed me that Bitcoin is moving past these forums.

Our jobs are to take bitcoin mainstream, and I am doing everything I can to make that happen. After meeting with mainstream businesses, lawyers and other bitcoin business owners, we have big plans coming your way very soon.

+1!

I agree completely, and it is very refreshing to hear this type of talk. Thank you. Smiley
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:02:59 PM

On top of that you have the Pool Hop generation. The guys who have an entitlement complex.  The resentful Bitcoin youth that jumped on the band wagon when BTC was trading for $30 USD and now want to take every crumb that isnt nailed down. Listen fellas the Bitcoin world does not owe you anything.

I also see exactly what your saying, there is no community feeling.  No encouragement like you said.

I see thread after thread of people announcing their new webpage devoted to bitcoin in some way, then every post after that is telling how horrible it is, or everything they've done wrong..   People just jumping down the throat of others for entertainment..

Trolls everywhere,  where is the friendlyness ? or help? or god forbid encouragement for helping bitcoin go mainstream with all the projects lifting off these days ?

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 04:08:55 PM

Hey there,

Forums != Bitcoin

+1!

I agree completely, and it is very refreshing to hear this type of talk. Thank you. Smiley

Thank You! 

This community is great, and it will always be. The trolls will come and go, and every forum has to deal with growing pains.

I strongly believe we need to stop saying this forum is our 'community 'for the sake of Bitcoin because it isn't.
Bitcoin is far bigger than these forums. In fact, most Bitcoin owners, traders, users, and advocates that I work with are not even on these forums.

I love the forums, and will always, but for the love of Bitcoin lets fuckin grow!!!  Cheesy

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
FreeMonies

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:15:10 PM

100x yes! It's refreshing to hear good things out of peoples mouths around here for once!
Anonymous

September 12, 2011, 04:16:31 PM

As the founder of the newbies forum innovation, I show no remorse in the sharing of my idea. This forum would of otherwise suffered a month long plague of spam from the SA forums and other dissidents.

Are we ready to open the curtain to everyone including a large majority of people with ill intentions? I'll leave that decision up to you.
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:36:29 PM

A couple of things I'd like to add to discussion:

If you're not a merchant or a programmer, there is very little to 'contribute'.  You feel kinda excluded from what's going on because a lot of stuff is over your head.  Recently with the huge influx of people with an extra gpu or two, you got a whole lot of people who could feel excluded.

To curb aggressiveness, there needs to be an outlet on the forums where non-merchants and non-programmers can contribute... something.

Let's face it: There's a whole lot of idle manpower here.  I don't know how it could be harnessed or where it could be pointed, but all it would take is some leaders stepping up (from either the programmers or merchants) to delegate other community projects.  Things like writing letters or emails to various groups that the merchants or programmers want to stir up interest with.... a few thousand letters from people all around the world is -something- rather than -nothing-.

Hell I don't know, could be anything, I'm not a merchant or programmer so I don't have my finger on that pulse.  But there's a lot of manpower here... someone just needs to do something with it.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:41:51 PM

Thanks for your post, OP. Some good sentiment there and I fully encourage the optimistic tone.

My thoughts on this are as follows: Bitcoin is not just a new weird geeky technology. Bitcoin is not the new tablet, or 3D tv, or server protocol. Bitcoin is in fact a philosophic and economic phenomenon which drastically challenges existing systems of thought and social behavior, internationally. It cuts to the core of how humans operate in the world, and the ramifications of Bitcoin--if it succeeds--will be truly profound. It is a system of highly leveraged effect. New people will get rich, new people will get poor, structures will shift, and various opportunities will rise and fall for various people. It sounds cliche, but Bitcoin has the potential to fundamentally change the course of history and this is awe-inspiring to some, threatening to others, and unbelievable to most.

Because of this leveraged effect, Bitcoin will long be highly contentious. And while we should encourage optimism and community spirit, we should at the same time realize that the external pressure bearing down upon Bitcoin will be immense. We should expect the conflict and tumult.

Stay civil, stay mature, stay humble, and stay rational. Bitcoin kicks serious ass, and I think most of us know this.
Alex Zee

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 04:53:25 PM

...someone just needs to do something with it.

Be the change, man.

Do you think there is a great leader sitting on this forum, waiting for your message? Smiley

And now he's all, like, "Oh, yeah, right! I have to lead people into battle."

You want things change - start changing them.

BTC Monitor - systray price ticker
RipTalk.org - new Ripple forum
johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:58:58 PM

...someone just needs to do something with it.

Be the change, man.

Do you think there is a great leader sitting on this forum, waiting for your message? Smiley

And now he's all, like, "Oh, yeah, right! I have to lead people into battle."

You want things change - start changing them.

I'm familiar enough of my skillset to know organizing people is not one of them.

I was just putting it out there for further discussion.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 05:18:12 PM

If you see someone discouraging free thought, PM me and I'll look into it. I might not be allowed to delete the post, but I can at least talk some sense into them. I've needed to do it before.

Sorry, not much we can do about that. Sad

Report those. We might not be able to do anything about the individual post, but we can ban them when we start seeing a pattern.

On a side note, I apologize for letting smoothie go on as long as he did. I was really hoping that I could change him, since he did have good ideas.

On top of that you have the Pool Hop generation.
You can blame the pools that don't prevent pool hopping for that.
The resentful Bitcoin youth that jumped on the band wagon when BTC was trading for $30 USD and now want to take every crumb that isnt nailed down. Listen fellas the Bitcoin world does not owe you anything.
I wish that there was more that could be done about that, sorry.
I sympathize with the Bitcoin forum Mods and Admins I really do, you have a very hard job trying to keep this place under control
Thanks, we try.
but as this forum is basically the epicenter of the Bitcoin world I do not agree with the newbie system. I think that we need to include as many people from outside as possible and not exclude them just because they got here late. I understand why we have this system and the purpose it is supposed to be serving is good but I personally believe it does more hard to Bitcoin than good.
I agree. The newbie system has outlived its usefulness. There was a time that it was needed, but not anymore.

Thanks for this. I agree completely that things are broken, and something needs to be done. However, I also feel that this might just solve itself thanks to things like our stackexchange site.

AssemblY

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 05:40:02 PM

You said all, is what I always wanted to talk, and I believe many people think the same.

It's time to change if we want the Bitcoin win the world, these attitudes have to be different.

Many Brazilians are afraid to enter the forum, and be attacked for asking newbie questions, this has to end.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 05:42:13 PM

Just curious, why the title [Bitcoin is Closed. If you were cool enough you would already be here!] and not [Bitcoin is Closed! - For most people this is what they think and feel!]?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 05:45:41 PM

Besides the Forum <> Bitcoin observation, think about the endgame: everyone everywhere uses Bitcoin. Are we going to sit around being excited about it? Are we all going to have one big conversation? Will it all be on one forum? Of course not. We aren't there yet, but the process of wide use and the distribution of the conversation is already begun.

I really really loved this place a year ago. And it only 'sucks' now because it was completely successful.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 05:49:08 PM

thank you so much to everyone that responded.
Immanuel I am not insulting your newbie system, I understand why it's in place and its like a lesser of two evils type of thing to me, Im not criticizing you for it at all. I really respect the mods and admins of this forum.

and to johnj: I think anyone can do something to benefit bitcoin, even if you have to post a comment on facebook, or twitter, or even tell everyone you know. Heck if anyone wants to benefit Bitcoin but does not know what to do send them my way. I run two Bitcoin related websites, which are both free sites with the sole purpose of spreading Bitcoin to the outside world, and I need help generating content and doing all kinds of stuff.

I must say if anyone ever writes a book about Bitcoin this should be the foreword: !!! Smiley thanks for this evoorhees
this was awesome!

Thanks for your post, OP. Some good sentiment there and I fully encourage the optimistic tone.

My thoughts on this are as follows: Bitcoin is not just a new weird geeky technology. Bitcoin is not the new tablet, or 3D tv, or server protocol. Bitcoin is in fact a philosophic and economic phenomenon which drastically challenges existing systems of thought and social behavior, internationally. It cuts to the core of how humans operate in the world, and the ramifications of Bitcoin--if it succeeds--will be truly profound. It is a system of highly leveraged effect. New people will get rich, new people will get poor, structures will shift, and various opportunities will rise and fall for various people. It sounds cliche, but Bitcoin has the potential to fundamentally change the course of history and this is awe-inspiring to some, threatening to others, and unbelievable to most.

Because of this leveraged effect, Bitcoin will long be highly contentious. And while we should encourage optimism and community spirit, we should at the same time realize that the external pressure bearing down upon Bitcoin will be immense. We should expect the conflict and tumult.

Stay civil, stay mature, stay humble, and stay rational. Bitcoin kicks serious ass, and I think most of us know this.

very well said. To everyone else its nice to hear from others what I have already been thinking.  I think the most apt statement that I have heard from many of you is the Bitcoin forums are not Bitcoin. That is an excellent point, but one we really have to think about. Some how these forums became the name and face of Bitcoin and we really need to rise above just these forums in order to move forward. It's hard to put a label on what this has become but the forums have become the lifeblood of the Bitcoin community and although this is the launching pad we have somehow found ourselves defined as well as limited by it. Look at that thread someone started "What did you do while the forums where down" Its pathetic almost to think how small this amazing scene really is - that one forum has so much impact on so many people. I read somewhere that there are 400k users on this forum. Wow. In any case I thank you all for your input it really got me thinking and put a smile on my face.

cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 05:52:54 PM

You said all, is what I always wanted to talk, and I believe many people think the same.

It's time to change if we want the Bitcoin win the world, these attitudes have to be different.

Many Brazilians are afraid to enter the forum, and be attacked for asking newbie questions, this has to end.

thank you for that comment, this is the kind of stuff that needs to be talked about.
Just curious, why the title [Bitcoin is Closed. If you were cool enough you would already be here!] and not [Bitcoin is Closed! - For most people this is what they think and feel!]?

It got your attention didn't it? Smiley
Besides the Forum <> Bitcoin observation, think about the endgame: everyone everywhere uses Bitcoin. Are we going to sit around being excited about it? Are we all going to have one big conversation? Will it all be on one forum? Of course not. We aren't there yet, but the process of wide use and the distribution of the conversation is already begun.

I really really loved this place a year ago. And it only 'sucks' now because it was completely successful.

I understand what your saying. However it's pretty obvious due to many reasons Bitcoin is stuck in a rut right now and I believe this is the perfect time to seize the moment and rise above all of this.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 05:58:56 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2011, 11:16:15 PM by RodeoX

I feel it also. It used to be much more welcoming here. Now we have lots of members who just spend all their effort making disparaging posts. Some of whom don't even own bitcoins. What happened to all the posts about ideas for BTC, or fun projects?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 05:59:07 PM

Cablepair this forum is "under moderated" by design. If you want other type of forum they are popping around, like for example this one: http://bitcoin.org.uk, that is more moderated. Different people will want different styles of forums. Its all good.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███