Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:17:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible false alarm: MtGox break in  (Read 15354 times)
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 09:29:06 PM

I also am finding this hard to believe that this is really DiabloD3d, it does not make sense, that he would issue a statement of this magnitude in this way.

This would be a major incident and it wouldn't be reported in such a short and easy way like this.

I would believe that his forum account is hacked. The hackers that did the CosbyCoin hack probably set this up in order to have some more of their fun down the road.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:32:19 PM

Help me understand why this is not more of a big deal?

I remember a similar event a few weeks ago.  The user presented himself as a competent individual, but eventually MtGox looked at their logs and presented a pretty compelling argument that it was user error.  The dude probably got keystroke logged IIRC.

I'll sit on the fence until either 1) more similar events pop up, or 2) MtGox presents evidence from their logs which explains things.  It is easy for me to fence sit here though since I'm not an MtGox users Smiley

(Disclosure:  I've had some very low buys in in case MtGox crashes the train.  Been in for a long time and it has not happened yet.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:41:31 PM

either way, mtgox is not a bank, so do not treat it as such. your a fool to think anything else.

1.21gigawatts

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:42:13 PM

It would be a big deal if hundreds of people were coming here complaining that their mt gox accounts were hacked AGAIN.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:43:14 PM

Swami Sense tells me he got his forum account hacked.
stsbrad

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Brad Willman, SSCP, LTCP, MCTS,SCE,BCE

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:43:23 PM

I also am finding this hard to believe that this is really DiabloD3d, it does not make sense, that he would issue a statement of this magnitude in this way.

This would be a major incident and it wouldn't be reported in such a short and easy way like this.

I would believe that his forum account is hacked. The hackers that did the CosbyCoin hack probably set this up in order to have some more of their fun down the road.

I find it hard to believe as well, especially since the trolls at SA stated it was wagner first, then gox right?

The "everyone clear out your accounts" was the biggest red flag of the post for me.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:44:01 PM

It would be a big deal if hundreds of people were coming here complaining that their mt gox accounts were hacked AGAIN.

But that is not how it all started last time. People talked about it happening in a trickle.
They were told it was completely their fault, etc.. Then it all blew up with a password file
being handed around like nothing days after.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:48:33 PM

At this moment, I'm questioning if DiabloD3 really posted this thread, I smelll something fishy here.
Maybe the forum (or DiabloD3 account) is compromised again.
Not unless the box he connects to IRC from has been hacked too; he said essentially the same things in there.

I remember a similar event a few weeks ago.  The user presented himself as a competent individual, but eventually MtGox looked at their logs and presented a pretty compelling argument that it was user error.  The dude probably got keystroke logged IIRC.
Was that the one where the "evidence" was that the attacker logged into the victim's account with the correct password on the first attempt, and it later turned out that MtGox's password database had previously been stolen and many of the passwords cracked, or another incident?

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
ctoon6

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:50:12 PM

But that is not how it all started last time. People talked about it happening in a trickle.
They were told it was completely their fault, etc.. Then it all blew up with a password file
being handed around like nothing days after.

yep yep, guys, be careful if you want to exchange your hard earned fiat for bitcoins. because if the gox goes down, you could loose everything.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 09:53:13 PM

My funds are still at mtgox.com   

I have a yubi.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:02:43 PM

I remember a similar event a few weeks ago.  The user presented himself as a competent individual, but eventually MtGox looked at their logs and presented a pretty compelling argument that it was user error.  The dude probably got keystroke logged IIRC.
Was that the one where the "evidence" was that the attacker logged into the victim's account with the correct password on the first attempt, and it later turned out that MtGox's password database had previously been stolen and many of the passwords cracked, or another incident?

Different one.  They guy had quite a good password IMHO (but that did not stop people for berating him about it.)  Certainly it was much to good for a cold remote guess style attack.

MtGox dug up a log showing a login from somewhere.  And some other people dug up some (not too) old posts from the guy which seemed to show that he was not quite as much of a security guru as he seemed to have been presenting himself as.  This was long after the main MtGox hack where the password database was filtched...or at least the only such time I am aware of where this happened to MtGox.  I'm thinking 3 weeks or a month ago.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:05:39 PM

My funds are still at mtgox.com   

I have a yubi.

Me too, on both points.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:51:41 PM

my bet is Diablo has had his forum acct hacked.  look, he puts up an OP then refuses to elaborate?

this could be a new tactic from the banker/gov't trolls lurking here to combat Bitcoin.  an "allten" guy here is advocating clearing out your mtgox accts as well to force an audit which makes no sense if he really was concerned about bitcoin or mtgox as it would cause a bank run like event killing mtgox.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 10:55:22 PM

Well he appears to be offline, so the only thing we can do now is wait...
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:55:28 PM

why is the price up then the last few days?

if you want to get your USD out then the fastest way is to BUY bitcoin and then transfer it out.  after all, this is as good a time as any if you're bullish.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:56:51 PM

a true hacker would clean out hundreds of accts at once to maximize the theft before anyone else could react.  this doesn't pass the smell test.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 11:01:43 PM

Mount Goxxed - surely

though also:

"My funds are still at mtgox.com   

I have a yubi"

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 12:00:23 AM

my bet is Diablo has had his forum acct hacked.  look, he puts up an OP then refuses to elaborate?
Ha! I see what you did there.
At this moment, I'm questioning if DiabloD3 really posted this thread, I smelll something fishy here.
Wouldn't the staff members be the first ones to secure their accounts on the forum, even before it went back online after the hack?
Yup. All staff had to re-verify themselves after the forum came back up.
Not unless the box he connects to IRC from has been hacked too; he said essentially the same things in there.
This. I saw that too.

mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 12:23:51 AM

This was yesterday in the MtGox IRC channel:

17:31 < kinlo> there is something wrong, how can it have gone above 10 when my sell order at 8 didn't occur?
17:31 < molecular> it didnt reall go above 10, I assume
17:31 < Ymgve> kinlo: bugs, the orders didn't happen or there was something wrong in the matching algorithm
17:32 < kinlo> MagicalTux: ?
17:32 < molecular> likely has to do with the "new currency markets"
17:32 <@MagicalTux> no
17:32 <@MagicalTux> has to do with hackers trying their best to do stuff normal people wouldn't by dropping large amounts of stolen funds/coins

17:35 < molecular> flushing bad orders? How do I make a "bad sell order" at 30 USD? ^^
17:35 < xelister> molecular: =)
17:35 <@MagicalTux> molecular, I blocked ~2000 accounts created most likely for the purpose of killing bitcoin on 9/11
17:35 <@MagicalTux> their trades do remain however
17:35 < molecular> MagicalTux, holy moly!
17:35 <@MagicalTux> but they cannot execute, causing weird results

<wardearia> <MagicalTux> has to do with hackers trying their best to do stuff normal people wouldn't by dropping large amounts of stolen funds/coins  ---  Is the claim of the people behind the large amounts of bitcoins transacting at mtgox being 'hackers' accurate or is it speculation?  Also, is it accurate that if large transactions occur at mtgox.com the site will only break if those people transacting are hackers and not legitimate transacters?
<upb> lol
<upb> good questions Smiley

Also, with a shady history of lying and censoring/deleting posts to cover history of events/information, why not resort to even further shadiness of preserving buggy code for sake of compromise or even participating in the compromises 1st partily in the guise of 3rd party compromizations?  Regardless though, the codebase developed for mtgox.com exchange seems ripe for abuse and exploitation and will be a feeding ground for those that want bitcoins through the challenge of exploitation.

I would imagine it would be more wise to collectively or consensually switch to a more reputable and secure/reliable exchange market and allow it to establish as most popular exchange site..... preferably one that has 0% transaction fees.   Otherwise with mtgox's 0.6% transaction fee from both sides of each transaction and approximate 1,200,000 bitcoins per month transacted, mtgox makes 14,400 bitcoins a month...and at us$6 each, that's almost us$100,000 profix per month.  OMFGZ!! =/
ctoon6

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 12:25:41 AM

i like how mtgox is blocking traffic that would "kill bitcoin" its not up to mtgox to do this, so please stop, you are not god so dont act like it.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: