Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:54:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If we can't trust Gox, how can we trust any of you?  (Read 740 times)
Beef Supreme (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:59:08 PM

Gox, a mainstay of BTC for years, just lost a ton of BTC due to theft, revealing the crooked underbelly of cryptography.  Pump and dump scams, crooked exchanges, governments seizing assets, and people willing to eat each other at the slightest sign of weakness.  Not only that, but the folks who stole from Gox are straight up criminals, knowingly stealing other people's money, while stroking your intellectual ability to do so.  Disgusting. 

You are deluding yourself if you think you are any better than the scum on Wall Street who manipulate markets and insider trade to your hearts content.  How are you people any better than the banksters?  We are replacing one set of low-life's with a more efficient, ruthless set of low-life's.  How disappointing.

It is too bad Satoshi isn't around to correct this masterpiece, I got a feeling this was not the goal.  For all the mathematical wizardry, he failed to understand the human component.  The ultimate bane of mankind, vanity.

Now as I review the catastrophe, I now have doubts about BTC.  Not for the protocol, but for the people who are using it.  But, there is hope still.  The people who ripped off Gox could return the stolen funds, or Satoshi could send some of those dormant funds to repair the damage.  That would restore faith in the community that we are not like the one's who have come before us, and greed does not control our actions.

FYI, I have donated seven BTC to help Gox out.  Not much, I know, but I don't have much either.  There's more to life than a little money, you know?

Beef

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btcrich

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:08:09 PM

You donated 7 BTC to Gox?  Wtf?  Huh
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:21:22 PM

You use fiat, criminals use fiat. How can we trust you?

People are people, some bad, some good.  Currency will not change that. But Bitcoin lets you protect yourself from the fraudsters you cite - governments, criminals etc, redundant, I know - but only if actually used. People storing bitcoin at Gox or elsewhere are not using the advantages of bitcoin to protect themselves.

If you don't have the private key, it isn't your bitcoin. If used like fiat, it is vulnerable like fiat.

(And Gox itself was pretty incompetent.)
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:32:15 PM

Gox, a mainstay of BTC for years, just lost a ton of BTC due to theft, revealing the crooked underbelly of cryptography.  Pump and dump scams, crooked exchanges, governments seizing assets, and people willing to eat each other at the slightest sign of weakness.  Not only that, but the folks who stole from Gox are straight up criminals, knowingly stealing other people's money, while stroking your intellectual ability to do so.  Disgusting. 

You are deluding yourself if you think you are any better than the scum on Wall Street who manipulate markets and insider trade to your hearts content.  How are you people any better than the banksters?  We are replacing one set of low-life's with a more efficient, ruthless set of low-life's.  How disappointing.

It is too bad Satoshi isn't around to correct this masterpiece, I got a feeling this was not the goal.  For all the mathematical wizardry, he failed to understand the human component.  The ultimate bane of mankind, vanity.

Now as I review the catastrophe, I now have doubts about BTC.  Not for the protocol, but for the people who are using it.  But, there is hope still.  The people who ripped off Gox could return the stolen funds, or Satoshi could send some of those dormant funds to repair the damage.  That would restore faith in the community that we are not like the one's who have come before us, and greed does not control our actions.

FYI, I have donated seven BTC to help Gox out.  Not much, I know, but I don't have much either.  There's more to life than a little money, you know?

Beef

Well then...

1. u should have stopped using USD after the fall of Meryl Lych and Lehman Brothers.

2. BTC did NOT came to existence for exchanging with FIAT. It has come to existence to become online cash, where FIAT is inept. People tried to make quick bucks at exchanges, and as they fall, they are screaming like hell.

BTC was is and will be there... Silk Road could not end it... Mt Gox wont.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: