Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:28:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to compile the client under Windows 7 64 bit?  (Read 1757 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 06:53:47 AM

Can someone please hop over and answer this question?

Please don't answer in the forum, we'd like the best answer to be directly in Stack Exchange. Thanks!

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 06:27:26 PM

Please don't answer in the forum, we'd like the best answer to be directly in Stack Exchange. Thanks!

While I'm a big fan of the StackExchange site myself it doesn't really seem fair to this forum to ask for help here and then tell people to answer it on another site.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 05:08:53 AM

While I'm a big fan of the StackExchange site myself it doesn't really seem fair to this forum to ask for help here and then tell people to answer it on another site.

Under what definition of "fair"?

D.H.

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 07:18:05 AM

This site is providing a service to you, for free. You can come here, ask questions, discuss, get answers. You can see what others have discussed and what answers others have given. If there were only questions here but no answers it wouldn't be very useful.

A lot of forums won't allow you to advertise competing sites at all. This forum is very liberal in that sense, but you're taking it one step further. You are asking people of this forum to help you here but then you won't let it benefit this forum.

The reasonable thing to do would be to ask the question here and if you get a good answer, ask that person if you can also use the answer at the StackExchange site. If you go to a friend's house and he shows you something great in a book of his you don't tear the page out and take it home. You might ask him if he'll let you make a copy of the page. It's just common courtesy.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 07:49:40 AM

This site is providing a service to you, for free. You can come here, ask questions, discuss, get answers. You can see what others have discussed and what answers others have given. If there were only questions here but no answers it wouldn't be very useful.

A lot of forums won't allow you to advertise competing sites at all. This forum is very liberal in that sense, but you're taking it one step further. You are asking people of this forum to help you here but then you won't let it benefit this forum.

The reasonable thing to do would be to ask the question here and if you get a good answer, ask that person if you can also use the answer at the StackExchange site. If you go to a friend's house and he shows you something great in a book of his you don't tear the page out and take it home. You might ask him if he'll let you make a copy of the page. It's just common courtesy.

I think the forum is not the best place to get answers. When you find a forum result in Google (not just this forum), you usually get long winded discussions and not a concise result. This is why I want to encourage people to post their answers at SE. I could just post an answer linking to a forum thread, but it's much more effective if people just post answers themselves.

We're not competing here. Both the forum and SE serve a purpose. I just prefer that questions and answers are posted there, while discussions here, and this is what I recommended. Anyone is of course free to disagree with me.

D.H.

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 07:59:42 AM

I think the forum is not the best place to get answers. When you find a forum result in Google (not just this forum), you usually get long winded discussions and not a concise result. This is why I want to encourage people to post their answers at SE. I could just post an answer linking to a forum thread, but it's much more effective if people just post answers themselves.

We're not competing here. Both the forum and SE serve a purpose. I just prefer that questions and answers are posted there, while discussions here, and this is what I recommended. Anyone is of course free to disagree with me.

If you change "Please don't answer in the forum, we'd like the best answer to be directly in Stack Exchange" to something like "Please also answer the question on the StackExchange site" then I don't have a problem with it. There's no reason why this forum too shouldn't benefit from the answer, considering that you asked the question here. If people believe that the best place to find answers is the SE site then that page will probably top the forum page in a Google search.

wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 08:00:38 AM

+1

I can understand the need to promote the stackexchange site, but this is not the way to do it. It assumes people here have an account over there, and assumes that people bothered enough to help you with the problem are ALSO want to go through the trouble of doing it on another site.

Also the question is worded very badly. If you want practical help, you should at least post the error output from your compiler and other diagnostic output to help people helping you.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:35:14 AM

If your current answer doesn't get top pick, why not just post a bounty in Marketplace? I think that would be the proper way to go about this. You're not even the question asker. :x

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: