Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:46:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ⚒[CGA] Cryptographic Anomaly - The Elusive Coin⚒  (Read 226222 times)
brother3

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:31:30 AM

ok so i have unzipped cgminer 3.7.2... i dont have an exe in the folder. i dont know how to start it. i am signed up at thedigitalmint i understand i am to set up a  batch file but have no cgminer.exe to start.. i have to compile the binaries?

I can help you if you are using windows
I need the location of the unzipped cgminer to write a bat file for you (so you can just double lick on a shortcut on your desktop to mine, solo that is). I will also help you with setting up for solo mining of course..
If you use a pool then I need more info

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cor2

Activity: 595

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:29:21 AM

Someone told me they had mined 5 blocks solo in an hour with ~2 Mh/s so profit is to be had!  Wink
Network hash rate is 100Mh/s at this moment, so 2 Mh/s should find you every 50th block on average,
or almost 2 blocks per hour. Apparently he was luck or was mining at a moment that the network hash rate was lower.
I have two old mining rigs (I found two old IBM ThinkCentre desktops that have PCI Express slots and installed two used GPU,
one has 211 kh/s, the other runs a whopping 135 kh/s (an 6870 and a 5750).
Those run pretty clean, even though those are old XP PCs and I had to rig up an external 12V supply and they could only
fit in the case by mutilating the 2nd PCI Express slot, which was 1X so I cut the end off the slot, allowing the X16 GPU into the X1 slot
and it actually works, though with slightly lower hash rate due to the slower data transfer on the single data channel.
Also the PC has only 1GB memory so it barely runs XP, but cgminer mostly cares about the GPU mem and clock speed, so I
tweaked the cards to run optimal - the 5750 is running lower clock than default - apparently this is a card that was rejected
(and therefor I could buy it cheap) because it crashes when I run it at its default 930MHz core clock, but at 900 it runs fine.
The 6870 has much more over-clock leeway, so I pushed it until it was the temp that reached the limit I want to push it for: 75 deg C.
The 346 kh/s combined means that I should be able to find a block in less than 4 hours of mining when the network is pushing 100 Mh/s
but normally the network is over 200Mh/s so I will have trouble getting even 1 CGA per day and since I don't want to run a wallet on
the mining rigs and prefer not to add a 3rd PC just for the wallet and the wallet on my laptop is frequently offline when I am not using it,
that means that it is easier to mine with a pool. TheDigitalMint is giving me close to the rewards that I can calculate, so I am
mining with them now.

SYNC: Sd3XBRmhrrr39Wj4rtjb3YAkwWvCze44BZ                    ORB: odyWi677JDQy7Gc6Nv6kCdnajmScqgTkDE       Honest pools (payout matching calculation):
TransferWise: International money transfer for 1%fee        Doge to the moon! D9FGY7Bhwbj2jrnk7v8VR47HTu7vfVu1gV         Nut2pools and Steadymining
Cor2

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:00:30 AM

ok so i have unzipped cgminer 3.7.2... i dont have an exe in the folder. i dont know how to start it. i am signed up at thedigitalmint i understand i am to set up a  batch file but have no cgminer.exe to start.. i have to compile the binaries?
I can help you if you are using windows
I need the location of the unzipped cgminer to write a bat file for you (so you can just double lick on a shortcut on your desktop to mine, solo that is). I will also help you with setting up for solo mining of course..
If you use a pool then I need more info
The problem appears to be that you downloaded the source code (for some reason the executables have disappeared from the website
of the cgminer developer, so you need to find them elsewhere. I downloaded them from:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wnz1g6xh8dydr0y/LitecoinMiningPackage.rar
You can open that package with either WinZip or 7zip (a free tool)
Once open, you go to the folder "Mine Litecoins with GPU" and in that folder you go to the sub-folder "AMD"
then copy everything from that folder onto a directory on your PC.
In that directory you can now create a batch file with all command line parameters, starting with:
cgminer.exe --scrypt -I 11 -o stratum+tcp://your-favorite-pool-address -u YourPoolUserName.YourWorkerName -p YourWorkerPassWord

You can edit this batch file as a text file (for example in Notepad) and then rename it to mine.bat
Also you need to install the AMD Catalyst with Open C support, I am using version 12.1 from here:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Windows%20XP%20Professional/Home&rev=12.1
With that, you should be ready to start mining (after signing up with a pool and creating at least 1 worker - you'll need a worker for
each cgminer that you are running, so each mining rig connects to one specific worker. In a P2P pool the workers are using addresses
from your wallet, so you create a different wallet address for each cgminer, at a regular pool you name your workers - does not matter if you give them elaborate names like "TheBlueIBMTower" and "DellWithWaterCoolingAndRedFans" or that you name them "1" "2" or "3".
I simply call them something like "Worker1" so my -u parameter looks like: Cor.Worker1 or Cor.Worker2 when I have 2 workers
configured at a pool where I registered with my UserName as Cor.
Reason I explain this last part, because it took me a while to figure out that the -u parameter has these two elements, so I was
getting authorization errors for my workers and they could not mine.
BTW, the README files from the cgminer are helpful but need to be opened with Wordpad - you will see a jumble of words when you try to read them with Notepad.
Success!

SYNC: Sd3XBRmhrrr39Wj4rtjb3YAkwWvCze44BZ                    ORB: odyWi677JDQy7Gc6Nv6kCdnajmScqgTkDE       Honest pools (payout matching calculation):
TransferWise: International money transfer for 1%fee        Doge to the moon! D9FGY7Bhwbj2jrnk7v8VR47HTu7vfVu1gV         Nut2pools and Steadymining
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:51:39 AM

hey again,

what is the difference or benefit of joining a pool with a fee as opposed to a pool with no fee?

I don't mine CGA, because I have an ASIC device rather than a scrypt mining rig. So this is generic rather than specific to CGA. Most of my bitcoin mining has been at a zero fee pool, Eligius, where I still donate 1 percent because the guy running it is a fuckin' hero.

On alts, I always make sure that I'm either mining for a fee or I have a set donation. I'm a small timer, so it's usually one percent. My reasoning behind this is that something you pay for has more value to you, and to the vendor. If something goes wrong, I want the pool op to be making something off of the venture so that he has skin in the game. Eligius is the only exception I would make, and that based solely on my experience. And I do pay them Cheesy

I have mined at a couple of zero fee pools. They either sat on my coins for a really long time, or were just generally unmaintained. Fee based pools tend to, in my opinion, be more apt to customer service. Cuz if you go elsewhere, they lose.

YMMV.

p.s. I'm not far from where you are right now in my crypto journey Cheesy All this was very new to me not long ago. Welcome to the Digital Frontier!
Cor2

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:55:52 AM

hey again,

what is the difference or benefit of joining a pool with a fee as opposed to a pool with no fee?

I don't mine CGA, because I have an ASIC device rather than a scrypt mining rig. So this is generic rather than specific to CGA. Most of my bitcoin mining has been at a zero fee pool, Eligius, where I still donate 1 percent because the guy running it is a fuckin' hero.

On alts, I always make sure that I'm either mining for a fee or I have a set donation. I'm a small timer, so it's usually one percent. My reasoning behind this is that something you pay for has more value to you, and to the vendor. If something goes wrong, I want the pool op to be making something off of the venture so that he has skin in the game. Eligius is the only exception I would make, and that based solely on my experience. And I do pay them Cheesy

I have mined at a couple of zero fee pools. They either sat on my coins for a really long time, or were just generally unmaintained. Fee based pools tend to, in my opinion, be more apt to customer service. Cuz if you go elsewhere, they lose.

YMMV.

p.s. I'm not far from where you are right now in my crypto journey Cheesy All this was very new to me not long ago. Welcome to the Digital Frontier!
For a different coin,
I have seen a corrupt pool owner advertise zero fee, so a lot of miners joined that pool from launch, it became the largest pool.
When I started mining that coin, I made payout calculations and saw that I was missing more than 50% of expected payouts.
So, I switched to another pool (which is still in my signature) and saw my payouts double.
This means that this "zero fee" pool was actually more than 50% fee, but without telling you and not showing it.
Most likely (from what I can see) is that they "inflated" the number of shares generated by creating some "ghost" miners that
did not actually generate any work, but were representing large hash rate and more than half the nr of shares.
I noticed that this pool had between 8 and 10 anonymous miners, all with very similar hash rate (within a few percent of each other) which represented over 50% of the pool hash rate. Also, the block finding rate of that pool was too low - pointing at the fact that less than half their claimed hash rate and shares were actual work done by miners finding blocks.
This means that more than half the payouts of those blocks were kept by the pool operator since he never needed to pay out
to the ghost miners...
You can only find this scam by calculating expected payout and comparing it to actual. This is assuming that the pool SW
is running well - some pools have too low payout but that has nothing to do with this problem.
Concluding:
I am OK mining with a pool charging 1% or so fee, so he does not need to steal from the miners (although there are a few good pools with true zero fee, because they are run by hobbyists who like to run a pool for the community)
As always - do your due diligence and know where you truely get a "free lunch".

wzttide

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:35:12 PM

Well written!

There are numberless sayings like:
"You get what you pay for" or "Pay peanuts, get monkeys" and so on.
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:58:31 PM

Hey guys, would it make sense to mine CGA with a 5Mh rig?... in terms of profitability I mean...  Tongue
OldManKidd

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:16:26 PM

Thanks for all the replies,

i have it up and running now with all the help i received. not hashing very much as my card runs pretty hot so i am at about 25% potential but i am hoping to get hold of some other cards. what would be the best bet to go with mining this coin if i was to decide to invest in some hardware?
wzttide

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:21:52 PM

i have it up and running now with all the help i received. not hashing very much as my card runs pretty hot so i am at about 25% potential but i am hoping to get hold of some other cards. what would be the best bet to go with mining this coin if i was to decide to invest in some hardware?

Take a look here, a little bit "old", but still valid and very useful!
http://www.cryptobadger.com/build-your-own-litecoin-mining-rig/
OldManKidd

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:47:27 PM

Take a look here, a little bit "old", but still valid and very useful!
http://www.cryptobadger.com/build-your-own-litecoin-mining-rig/

thanks
Cor2

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:13:36 PM

If your card runs hot but is not getting much hash rate then see if you can lower the clock rates (which is what impacts the heat) and check what the max "Intensity" is that you can run it at without getting errors. For me, that was --I 11
but your card may need different settings for keeping HW=0
Note that it is also important to set the correct number of "shaders"
and you can play with the the other nrs that I listed in an earlier post - I chose the settings based on getting the max nr of WU (Work Units)
as well as high hash rate while keeping the card not hotter than 75 deg C.
I left the PC case open to allow the card's fan to suck in ambient air instead of the already hot air inside a case - I know of people setting up a floor fan to send cooler air towards the PC as well. Most dedicated mining rigs do not have a case at all, just a motherboard, power supply and a "riser" cable for each GPU so they can be spread out to draw more air. All in a crate or open frame.

brother3

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:36:40 PM

If your card runs hot but is not getting much hash rate then see if you can lower the clock rates (which is what impacts the heat) and check what the max "Intensity" is that you can run it at without getting errors. For me, that was --I 11
but your card may need different settings for keeping HW=0
Note that it is also important to set the correct number of "shaders"
and you can play with the the other nrs that I listed in an earlier post - I chose the settings based on getting the max nr of WU (Work Units)
as well as high hash rate while keeping the card not hotter than 75 deg C.
I left the PC case open to allow the card's fan to suck in ambient air instead of the already hot air inside a case - I know of people setting up a floor fan to send cooler air towards the PC as well. Most dedicated mining rigs do not have a case at all, just a motherboard, power supply and a "riser" cable for each GPU so they can be spread out to draw more air. All in a crate or open frame.

Yeah like mine right here

Cor2

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 11:47:06 PM

Those don't look like they are X16 riser cables - are you using X1 cables?
I have my GPU plugged into an X1 slot - works well and less costly cable,
possibly a little slower in loading new work (slightly lower hash rate).

arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 1059

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:49:25 AM

this is the new stuff now...never tried it but the reviews says it is better than x1 and x16 risers, 3 feet length and thin wires, you can go creative on your setup with this.

s4w3d0ff (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Spray and Pray

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:11:36 AM

this is the new stuff now...never tried it but the reviews says it is better than x1 and x16 risers, 3 feet length and thin wires, you can go creative on your setup with this.

Fancy!  Cheesy

BTC:15D8VaZco22GTLVrFMAehXyif6EGf8GMYV
|⚒|Cryptographic Anomaly|⚒|
cdboot

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:00:14 AM

Chinese translation Smiley
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=542421.0
wzttide

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:08:22 AM

Great! Keep us posted on the comments there Smiley
brother3

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:34:54 AM

Those don't look like they are X16 riser cables - are you using X1 cables?
I have my GPU plugged into an X1 slot - works well and less costly cable,
possibly a little slower in loading new work (slightly lower hash rate).

They are x1 and I do get a slightly slower hash rate using them...but they are easily managed and cost less like you said
laserfocus

Activity: 132

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:06:26 AM

This is how I do the math (after showing my work here I now need to change the descriptions Tongue):

Find the maximum amount of CGA (if diff < 3) to come into existence (not counting bonus blocks):
1 month(30days) = 2,592,000 sec
2,592,000 sec / 40 sec blocks = 64,800 blocks per month
64,800 blocks per month x .33333333 per block = 21,599.999784 CGA per month
21,599.999784 CGA per month x 12 = 259,199.997408 CGA per year
100 years (if you live to 100) x 259,199.997408 CGA per year = 25,919,999.7408 CGA in a "lifetime"

Minimum amount of time to "mine out" CGA:
10 Billion CGA / 259,199.997408 CGA per year = 38,580.2472993827 years

So, if the difficulty for CGA never goes above 3 for 38,580.2472993827 years then CGA will be mined out. But this is very unlikely, the difficulty will rise in the first few years due to technology, making CGA more scarce and theoretically more valuable.

It'd be a good idea to include these numbers in OP...easier for people to wrap their minds around how rare CGA is. 

Rarity is one piece of the equation.  For CGA to go mainstream it'll need to be accepted by merchants who feel comfortable using miniscule fractions of a coin.  A small business owner may not be very comfortable accepting a currency with so many zeros to the right of the decimal point.  Imagine a minimum wage worker missing 1 or 2 zeros creating in a meaningful loss which can't be reversed.
MiningLore

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:29:19 PM

Why another exchange?
We are not your usual hobby programmer hiring some people to make a "secure" exchange. We are a company of trained professionals, based in Austria.
We guarantee a level of security a single individual would not be able to.
But yet, there are various reasons why we focused our resources on this crypto exchange:

• Security!*
  • The design is simple, not dark and also not too colorful. It was made to provide a neutral environment for maximum usability.
  • Multiple order options including (but not limited to): Fill-or-Kill, Immediate-or-Cancel and Iceberg - multiple order types can be applied!
  • Market and Limit orders (as you may know from Forex)
  • A variety of Charts to reduce the time required for monitoring and watching to a bare minimum.
  • Charts scale with the browser window-size for maximum screen-efficiency and maintaing a balanced layout.
  • No personal data is being logged, because to us your privacy is as important as your security.
  • The project is based on highly scalable software and frameworks, to ensure the qualtiy of service even with increasing user counts.
  • We'll provide the world's first crypto currency index!
  • High volume traders benefit from our VIP Account program

* The main focus of this service is the provided security. A lot of effort went into planing and testing the application, to guarantee the much-needed security. All communications between you and the servers are encrypted.
A unique but yet fast withdrawal process secures your assets way more efficient than email confirmations, making this technique obsolete.

What about the name?
Swaphole is a one-of-a-kind service, we simply do not want to be your next best exchange, and the name simply reflects that fact.

Still unsure?

You can contact us here:
support@swaphole.com

Feel free to ask any questions in the main thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=530080)

Supported coins (as of 28.03.2014)
  • Bitcoin
  • Litecoin
  • Cryptographic Anomaly
  • Dogecoin
  • Cryptogenic Bullion
  • AuroraCoin
  • Vertcoin
  • Darkcoin
  • MazaCoin
  • BlackCoin
  • BlitzCoin

Your favorite coin is not listed? Keep up voting!

Go to https://www.swaphole.com/ and vote for your coin! You can even add it if it is not listed! A little hint: You can vote for every browser session once!
Pages: « 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 »
  Print  

Jump to: