Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:41:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monty Hall and Let's Make A Deal problem  (Read 4647 times)
srb123

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 06:37:36 AM

Yeesh this thread is so cryptic.  And the only message I can decipher from it is very unpleasant.  I hope clarification is forthcoming.

Sorry, no clarification possible.  I had a few beers and was just amusing myself spewing total nonsense.  But, look at the bright side.  When you consider the time and electricity spent on this thread, Bitcoin generation does not seem such a waste of resources.

Oh I get it now, when you made your first post on this forum, I had a 1 in 82 chance of figuring out that you are a pain in the a...you know.

But by giving you the benefit of the doubt for the next 80 posts and reserving my judgement I had a 81 in 82 chance of figuring it out.

We hate you, in the most endearing way.  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 11:16:58 AM

So you do agree then that Satoshi drinks your milkshake?  

The best analogy I can come up with is this.

Satoshi filled his milkshake, but didn't drink yet because it tastes terrible.

We fill our milkshakes and start to drink. At first they taste terrible, but we keep drinking. Gradually our milkshakes taste better and better.

And by the time Satoshi eventually drinks his milkshake [...] it tastes mighty sweet, thanks to everyone else.
This metaphor was intended to show the symbiotic nature of bitcoin.

We needed Satoshi to invent Bitcoin so that we could benefit from it. But equally, Satoshi needed us to use Bitcoin so that he could benefit from it.

Satoshi could have generated endless bitcoins, but they would be of no value to him unless we were generating and using our own bitcoins. Our actions gave value/sweetness to Satoshi's bitcoins/milkshake.
demonofelru

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 09:20:11 AM

Although I agree that what you said makes it a better choice to switch.

"You are on the TV show Lets Make a Deal.  There are 1000 Bitcoins that Monty has placed behind one of three doors.  He lets you choose a door.  Then he opens one of the other two doors that he knows does not have the prize behind it.  Now, he asks you whether you want to switch doors or keep the door you first chose.  Statistically, should you stick with your initial choice, or switch?"

Although the first problem in wikipedia as follows:

"Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?"

I do not agree your chances are any better. Just because he knows what's behind the doors does not mean he has any obligation to not open the door with the car.

Names do not matter; however, if you insist...id...
joe

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 11:38:18 AM

The only time it is good to switch is if you know ahead of time that the game show host will in fact open a door other than your own that does not contain the bitcoins.

On the other hand if the host announces to you that he will do it only after you picked your door, it's better to stay with your door. Why? Because if the host wants to beat you then he will only pick a door if you picked the right door to begin with, in an effort to get you off the right door.
ronaldmaustin (OP)

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2011, 10:44:08 AM

The only time it is good to switch is if you know ahead of time that the game show host will in fact open a door other than your own that does not contain the bitcoins.

On the other hand if the host announces to you that he will do it only after you picked your door, it's better to stay with your door. Why? Because if the host wants to beat you then he will only pick a door if you picked the right door to begin with, in an effort to get you off the right door.

And all of this presumes that Monty Hall knows what is behind the doors.  Or that Monty is even alive.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 08:42:07 AM

Most attempts to solve a block will lead to failure, so would that mean that to increase the odds of you finding the solution before others you should discard the first N attempts before wasting time trying them ?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
johnieeliang

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2011, 01:16:06 PM

switch havent you seen 21 Wink?
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2011, 01:38:11 PM

Let me explain it in a way you all may understand it.  It's as if Satoshi has a really long straw, all the way from Japan.  Satoshi drinks YOUR milkshake.
Potatoes will be fine.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: