Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:44:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About Media / Krugman views on Bitcoin  (Read 1005 times)
Gyom (OP)
Donator

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 06:59:29 PM

Got to remember that media thought "everything was fine" in 2007 when the Dow Jones was at 14k, a year before the 2008 crash (from which we still have to recover yet).

The author of the Guardian's article wrote and I quote :

"The value of Bitcoins has dropped dramatically since June 2011 when they peaked at $33: now they are between $1 and $2. (Black line: closing price on MTGox Exchange. Red and green lines: volumes.)"

Now last time I checked, the exchange rate on MtGox is still around 2.5$ and didn't drop below 2.26 or so... That tells you quite a bit about the author's ability to double check his facts, his basic math skills or his intelligence... It's ridiculously bad journalism and makes me instantly dismiss whatever conclusion he reaches as pure garbage...

I'm not saying price couldn't fall in that range, but misquoting the price of something by between 25% and 150% like he did is just not what I would expect from a journalist at a "reputable" institution like the Guardian.

Mainstream media is about the worst source of information for anything related to financial decisions / investments / currencies and so on. Their interest is in having people read their shit, not predicting tendencies successfully... The more controversial their views are, the better their ratings!

Regarding Krugman's views on bitcoin, remember this guy is just another Keynesian hypocrite, who serves as a mouthpiece for the government-backed financial elite of the world who are robbing / fleecing us slowly with inflation.

Occupy Wall Street should move their picket lines to Capitol Hill... That's where the source of the problem really is.

Bank of America's MBNA rolled back credit limits on credit cards by almost 90% over the last few months, and now 5 out of 6 biggest lenders in the US announced late payments on credit cards balances spiked in september. Remember in the 70-80s how having a credit card was really a big deal? Now 8 year-olds can have one...

When lenders don't want to lend money to consumers anymore, how will people conduct their day-to-day business online? If you guessed bitcoin, you might be unto something.

PS: Sorry for grammar and typos, english is not my native language.

EDIT : Added link to the Guardian article :
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/18/bitcoin-value-crash-cryptocurrency?newsfeed=true

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 09:14:02 PM

Excellent post, thanks for sharing this article, and btw good job with the English; I would not have guessed it was not your native language.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
322i0n

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 09:28:18 PM

Bank of America's MBNA rolled back credit limits on credit cards by almost 90% over the last few months, and now 5 out of 6 biggest lenders in the US announced late payments on credit cards balances spiked in september. Remember in the 70-80s how having a credit card was really a big deal? Now 8 year-olds can have one...
aww man, i would just love so much if all these people decided to max their credit cards up, the then go bankrupt and screw the banks. with a bank run into the mix for good measure.

Supporting The Global Insurrection Against Banker Occupation
BTC: 1C1w6t1dMkEXeCntURxDiBiWsTbdJbvTr9
NMC: N6uNpVPAdpTur4Hwr8Sqgd6kxcKPto4S2T
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 09:39:51 PM

aww man, i would just love so much if all these people decided to max their credit cards up, the then go bankrupt and screw the banks. with a bank run into the mix for good measure.

I did just that, because I'm "insane".  I continue to attempt to coax others to go crazy also.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: