Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:28:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I am trying to understand...  (Read 1307 times)
Anonymous

September 13, 2011, 05:09:52 PM

I am trying to understand what pleasure people derive from giving insults and antagonizing anothers character. Does one really derive a sense of superiority from saying statements like the following:

Here's a preview of Atlas' first job: he works his ass off, but it doesn't matter because everyone he works with thinks he's a pompous jerk who constantly uses and misuses big words to make himself seem smart and disguise how simplistic his worldview really is. He gets fired officially for being five minutes late, but really because nobody could stand him. He somehow manages to blame this on the government.

I mean, for one, it's not even remotely true. People in my workplaces and school value my presence and I am usually criticized for being absurdly early. If I was fired for being only five minutes late, I don't think I would wish to work for such an irrational employer in the first place.

Obviously this man has no direct dealings with my personality, yet he attacks it. I would somewhat understand otherwise. So the real question is what is the purpose of this? What value has been gained?

I am seeing this behavior more and more often on these forums. I think we would be doing ourselves a favor if we took a step back and analyzed it. It doesn't hurt me at all. I don't mind people not preferring me. I want this to mainly benefit the self-awareness of the actors who exhibit this behavior: Insults and verbal attacks against the characters of other users on this forum.

However, I am sure collateral damage includes the self-esteem of some and certainly the overall quality of the forum.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:19:23 PM

I am trying to understand what pleasure people derive from giving insults and antagonizing anothers character. Does one really derive a sense of superiority from saying statements like the following:

Here's a preview of Atlas' first job: he works his ass off, but it doesn't matter because everyone he works with thinks he's a pompous jerk who constantly uses and misuses big words to make himself seem smart and disguise how simplistic his worldview really is. He gets fired officially for being five minutes late, but really because nobody could stand him. He somehow manages to blame this on the government.

I mean, for one, it's not even remotely true. People in my workplaces and school value my presence and I am usually criticized for being absurdly early. If I was fired for being only five minutes late, I don't think I would wish to work for such an irrational employer in the first place.

Obviously this man has no direct dealings with my personality, yet he attacks it. I would somewhat understand otherwise. So the real question is what is the purpose of this? What value has been gained?

I am seeing this behavior more and more often on these forums. I think we would be doing ourselves a favor if we took a step back and analyzed it. It doesn't hurt me at all. I don't mind people not preferring me. I want this to mainly benefit the self-awareness of the actors who exhibit this behavior: Insults and verbal attacks against the characters of other users on this forum.

However, I am sure collateral damage includes the self-esteem of some and certainly the overall quality of the forum.

I assume it is a lot of people taking issue with the fact that you seemingly have no real-world experience with jobs or people outside your immediate social class, yet you seem to pass judgement on everyone.

Also this:

is a summary of like almost all of your posting, it's pretty easy to see through you most of the time.

All of this and you make a post asking others to have some self-awareness, while seemingly having none of it yourself. Evaluate yourself, then try to rationalize the behavior of others.
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:23:41 PM

Atlas, the internet is a place with a long memory and little compassion the sooner you learn that the better.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
JeffK

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:26:12 PM

Obviously this man has no direct dealings with my personality, yet he attacks it.

You can tell a lot about people by their online postings. I am, in fact, actually this much of an inflammatory asshole in public too.

I don't think you are a bad person, exactly. I just think you have a tone-deafness to human emotion and human nature, causing you to make a lot of bad assumptions and conclusions about other people, almost in a robotic way. This isn't a good way to think or live.
Anonymous

September 13, 2011, 05:41:15 PM

Yes, I look at people objectively. Emotion does not take priority over what I find as optimal solutions for societal problems. However, I do not have an absolute tone-deafness. The closest people in my life find me absolutely selfless in my actions, when in fact I take an absolute selfish pleasure in human happiness and emotion. If you want, I can bring them on here but really I have nothing to prove; believe what you wish.

Addendum, my self-awareness is unequivocally insurmountable. The amount of effort I spend adjusting my own behavior is border-line excessive. I take very cautious care of myself and my inner-workings and do, in fact, apply it in my rationalization of others behavior. However, my question does not exhibit said findings because I am interested mainly in the viewpoints of others and not the exhibition of my own.

The fact is my real-world experience and who I am has little relevance to a discussion. Discuss the points and attack the arguments. Not the man.

Anonymous

September 13, 2011, 05:55:47 PM

...yet you seem to pass judgement on everyone.

I would appreciate examples of this.
BlockHash

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 06:22:12 PM

Yes, I look at people objectively. Emotion does not take priority over what I find as optimal solutions for societal problems. However, I do not have an absolute tone-deafness. The closest people in my life find me absolutely selfless in my actions, when in fact I take an absolute selfish pleasure in human happiness and emotion. If you want, I can bring them on here but really I have nothing to prove; believe what you wish.

Addendum, my self-awareness is unequivocally insurmountable. The amount of effort I spend adjusting my own behavior is border-line excessive. I take very cautious care of myself and my inner-workings and do, in fact, apply it in my rationalization of others behavior. However, my question does not exhibit said findings because I am interested mainly in the viewpoints of others and not the exhibition of my own.

The fact is my real-world experience and who I am has little relevance to a discussion. Discuss the points and attack the arguments. Not the man.

It's kind of hard to discuss your points and attack the arguments, when you intertwine them into your very existence as a "man". You've made quite a career for yourself here in these forums being a horrible human being with your constant hard line libertarian perspectives.
cryptobard

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:03:07 PM

People hate on you because they can tell, from your posts, that you probably dress impeccably. They're simply jealous and you should pay them no mind. Can't by a wardrobe for every sucker, can you?
JeffK

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:09:10 PM

Here's a start:

No, it's more like because the parents weren't prepared or chose not to properly pay for what their child was worth.

In Northern states it's a different story. They just imagine the safety nets of society as a magical cloud that exists in Obama's coin purse or something.

From the first page or lastposts
Anonymous

September 13, 2011, 07:11:26 PM

Here's a start:

No, it's more like because the parents weren't prepared or chose not to properly pay for what their child was worth.

In Northern states it's a different story. They just imagine the safety nets of society as a magical cloud that exists in Obama's coin purse or something.

The first quote is objective. I stand by it. There is the exception of rape but unequivocally I was directing my statement towards parents who consensually had sex.

The second quote is subjective and judgemental but objectively Northern American culture is predominantly social-democratic and, anecdotally, I have seen many cases where they were ignorant on how welfare was funded. It was not directed to all of its residents but a portion of them I have seen. I am open to being wrong. Again, I have no remorse in making that statement but I will admit that it was rude and poorly worded. I will be more conscientious in the future.
deslok

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:14:45 PM

I am from new York. I work for a living and don't like Obama, I will not be generalized into a ward of the state by someone who announces plans to end their life on an internet forum for attention because they're incapable of taking a breakup like a man.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
JeffK

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:23:03 PM

Here's a start:

The second quote is subjective and judgemental but objectively Northern American culture is predominantly social-democratic and, anecdotally, I have seen many cases where they were ignorant on how welfare was funded.

As a northerner, I too:
A) Am left wing, and no fan of Obama (too corporate-friendly for me
B) Well aware how welfare is funded, and why
C) Do not think Obama even cares about social safety nets
Anonymous

September 13, 2011, 07:25:12 PM

Here's a start:

The second quote is subjective and judgemental but objectively Northern American culture is predominantly social-democratic and, anecdotally, I have seen many cases where they were ignorant on how welfare was funded.

As a northerner, I too:
A) Am left wing, and no fan of Obama (too corporate-friendly for me
B) Well aware how welfare is funded, and why
C) Do not think Obama even cares about social safety nets
I was being facetious in that phrasing. Of course I do not assume all Northerners are ignorant. Never did. It was humor and poor humor at that.

I apologize.
JeffK

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:30:16 PM

Well, as another point for why people end up resorting to attacks is your complete vocalness in all arguments, by generally always coming into a thread, dropping off an unsourced platitude, and if you return, just repeating it again. Then, when people try to point out all the externalities involved, you ignore their points and continue with your same catchphrases.

Greatest hits include:

Taxes are Theft
Regulations hinder true freedom
Fiat currencies are worthless

and so on.
Anonymous

September 13, 2011, 07:33:22 PM

Very well. This thread isn't supposed to be about me so I will now discontinue this discussion.

Thank you, Jeffk, for your time.
BlockHash

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:34:19 PM

Well, as another point for why people end up resorting to attacks is your complete vocalness in all arguments, by generally always coming into a thread, dropping off an unsourced platitude, and if you return, just repeating it again. Then, when people try to point out all the externalities involved, you ignore their points and continue with your same catchphrases.

Greatest hits include:

Taxes are Theft
Regulations hinder true freedom
Fiat currencies are worthless

and so on.

Also: putting together an army; wanting to supply said army; wanting to supply said army with less than lethal munitions. Changing name several times to avoid the stigma attached to it from previous behavior.

deslok

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:42:42 PM

Very well. This thread isn't supposed to be about me so I will now discontinue this discussion.

Thank you, Jeffk, for your time.

Not about you? The while thread is about how you carry yourself in a conversation.

JonHind

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:04:35 PM

I've read a lot that you have written Immanuel, but I haven't engaged with you for lack of time on my part. I apologise if what I write might appear harsh, but I do give it to you with good intentions.

A friend of mine once had a t-shirt that said 'Hire a teenager while they still know everything!'. That t-shirt sums you up Immanuel. There is no doubting that you have an intelligent mind and that you are an avid learner, but your failings are due to the fact that you have very little life experience to have such strong views concerning so many subjects.

"Life Experience: I wrote my thesis about that"... (quote from a Simpsons episode). Life experience cannot be gleaned from books. Life experience can only be gleaned from life, travel and time.

So to answer your question, people are mocking you harshly or are being abusive because you force yourself onto them as a target for whatever issues that they have. You are being mocked due to your naivety, and your short-sighted views concerning many subjects.

It might be time to consider stepping back a bit and thinking out of the box. Or maybe even some time out from such deep thinking? Also, stop allowing yourself to be trolled. Don't rise to obvious troll-bait. It is possible to just step out of discussions at any time Wink

When you reach my age, you'll look back on some of what you have written in the same way that I remember similarly ignorant and naive views that I had when I was an opinionated know-it-all 17 year old.

When (and if) I reach 80, I'll look back on some of what my 40-something year old has written with the same embarrassment. heh.
JeffK

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 03:29:44 AM

When you reach my age, you'll look back on some of what you have written in the same way that I remember similarly ignorant and naive views that I had when I was an opinionated know-it-all 17 year old.

When (and if) I reach 80, I'll look back on some of what my 40-something year old has written with the same embarrassment. heh.

Basically it's a bit of self-loathing too, he's like me 6 years ago but with the rhetoric turned up to the max. So ashasmed of my libertarian phase, at least it didn't last too long.
JonHind

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 08:52:05 AM

Basically it's a bit of self-loathing too, he's like me 6 years ago but with the rhetoric turned up to the max. So ashasmed of my libertarian phase, at least it didn't last too long.

Yeah, me too. heh.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: