Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:48:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator  (Read 73470 times)
mfurman

Activity: 173
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 12:31:03 PM

For those of you using nicehash I have just 1 thing to say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Anyone using a service that got hacked, and pays back its customers months later during a major bear market, deserve to loose their coins Smiley

Just compare it on "What to Mine". I am using Flypool, Nanopool and NiceHash and I am getting best gains on NiceHash. I am not keeping any small coins (Only ETH, BTC and ZEC). Ideology has no place when earning money, in my mind.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheYankeesWin!

Activity: 462
Merit: 300

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 12:48:05 PM

For those of you using nicehash I have just 1 thing to say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Anyone using a service that got hacked, and pays back its customers months later during a major bear market, deserve to loose their coins Smiley

Nicehash has a purpose I will leave it at that.

I found out that Monero is to be foked again.  So what will Squirrels do to update the Acorn's.

Or will we be getting a partially crippled unit in terms of mining Monero. With a long wait for reprogramming.

This fork is scheduled before August 31st.  So will later Acorns have the fork in the software?

I actually think  the new monero fork is good news  for Squirrels and the Acorn's as it give the company a chance to show that it can upgrade much quicker then an asic can.

I read this on github.
dsmn

Activity: 68
Merit: 4

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 01:05:55 PM

Just compare it on "What to Mine". I am using Flypool, Nanopool and NiceHash and I am getting best gains on NiceHash. I am not keeping any small coins (Only ETH, BTC and ZEC). Ideology has no place when earning money, in my mind.

Youre completely right, the only reason for mining a shitcoin is if its more profitable, and you even with exchange fee can dump it for more good coin.

With 100 rx570's youre looking at arround avg 80 usd/day solo mining, 1% less on a good pool, and 81 usd/day on nicehash, so for arround 1% more profit you take the change to loose a few days to a weeks profit if they get hacked again Cheesy

And if you dont wana hold the BTC they give you but want ETH or ZEC you will loose that little gain in fee's compared to mining the coin directly you wana store.
dsmn

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 01:14:07 PM

I found out that Monero is to be foked again.  So what will Squirrels do to update the Acorn's.

Im pretty sure their plan is to keep forking every 6 months to prevent asics.
But the changes is pretty small from cryptonight to cryptonight v1, so it was easy for high power fpga's to join in, xilinx bcu 1525 does arround 15 kh/s at 150W.

I actually think  the new monero fork is good news  for Squirrels and the Acorn's as it give the company a chance to show that it can upgrade much quicker then an asic can.

An asic cant adapt, you can change the logic on paper to fit the changes and fab some new chips.
mfurman

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 02:39:16 PM

Youre completely right, the only reason for mining a shitcoin is if its more profitable, and you even with exchange fee can dump it for more good coin.

With 100 rx570's youre looking at arround avg 80 usd/day solo mining, 1% less on a good pool, and 81 usd/day on nicehash, so for arround 1% more profit you take the change to loose a few days to a weeks profit if they get hacked again Cheesy

And if you dont wana hold the BTC they give you but want ETH or ZEC you will loose that little gain in fee's compared to mining the coin directly you wana store.

This is true if you mine ETH (that is why Nanopool for me). On the other hand, if I run Lyra2REv2 , X16R, CryptoNight, NeoScrypt etc on my Nvidia GPUs (or Xeon CPUs), I use NiceHash. Therefore, SQRL miner has to be able to mine on NH if I am to use it.
TheYankeesWin!

Activity: 462
Merit: 300

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 03:59:33 PM

Properly using nicehash is complex.
To think risking 1 weeks payout is not acceptable is a choice for you to make.

My concern is more that Monero is forking again  so what is Squirrels plan to upgrade CN1 to CN2?

If Squirrels has a smooth upgrade path for the acorn 215+  it will help its sales.
Bazzaar

Activity: 75
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 05:56:03 PM

My concern is more that Monero is forking again  so what is Squirrels plan to upgrade CN1 to CN2?

I'm guessing here but, considering its only a software change to  Squirrels miner app, just like GPU mining apps,
it is hardly any different/difficult than everyone has to go through with coin algos forking.
The Acorn device might need its bitstream updating with a new algo, which will be like a firmware upgrade.
No big deal.
dsmn

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 08:44:39 PM

The Acorn device might need its bitstream updating with a new algo, which will be like a firmware upgrade.
No big deal.

Most likely the sqrl miner will include the bitstreams needed, when you boot your rig the fpga will be empty, a bitstream fitting the algo youre mining will be loaded each time the miner starts, so it will include multiple bitstreams.

And yes if the change is just meant to kick of asics again or discourage development, it will be small, but the question is how does the cryptonight comunity feel about this, do they wana fork to get rid of fpga's next time also by choosing a complete other algo?
mfurman

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 11:09:07 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2018, 01:26:08 AM by mfurman

No big deal.

Most likely the sqrl miner will include the bitstreams needed, when you boot your rig the fpga will be empty, a bitstream fitting the algo youre mining will be loaded each time the miner starts, so it will include multiple bitstreams.

And yes if the change is just meant to kick of asics again or discourage development, it will be small, but the question is how does the cryptonight comunity feel about this, do they wana fork to get rid of fpga's next time also by choosing a complete other algo?

GPUHoarder recently said that Acorns will not be shipping sooner than the last days of August (we will get them in September, I believe). BCU1525 is delayed as well.
dsmn

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 12:46:10 AM

By the way I dont understand why you would care for cryptonight v1 (monero7), high speed fpga's like the bcu 1525 are mining that at 15 kh/s @ 150W.

If you listen to what the developers are talking the most about its the core intensive coins, like x16r lyrarev2 timetravel etc, thats where you get your roi..
Milko002

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 06:53:17 AM

I can say this  preorders out to Nov = shaky
But no discounts offered on the Nov  = WTF
This is wrong and looks bad see below same price  for sept order and same price for nov order.

https://i.imgur.com/LWe9ese.png

I guess in the crypto world we have become used to how the various ASIC miner manufacturers have done their pricing for pre-orders, and consider that "normal." Given that the ASICs are not particularly flexible in what they can mine, perhaps it's necessary to even out the order flow and entice new orders to keep the manufacturing lines busy and the coin rolling in.

Seems SQRL has opted for a different approach to pricing their offerings. Time will tell which method is the right one, or if there is room for different pricing models based on the flexibility of the mining hardware being offered for sale.

Alternatively - instead of a million conspiracy theories you could see that the price of components is only going up and most are extremely constrained right now, and building these things doesn’t magically go down in cost in November. There isn’t some huge profit margin to discount things just because you feel they should be discounted further out.

If you don’t want it - don’t buy it. If you’re skeptical, wait till the review units go out. It really is pretty simple. There is a massive amount of effort and activity behind making these, and the software, and the logistics. I welcome someone else here to step into that for even a day. We are regularly at the mercy of Xilinx and component supplies in the global supply chain as well.

We’re awaiting actual production line roll off starting next week, and some verification time after that to ensure that all is going smoothly. Exactly on-time.

Thanks for the reply .

There is no conspiracy it is a fact that  you have not sold out Sept. batch at 329 according to your website

and you offer Nov batch at 329. The screenshot is simply taken from your website showing that.

Simple accounting shows  that is wrong .
So why offer it?
Your website has sept and should not list oct or nov  until sept is sold out.
All it does is create a chance that a buyer makes a mistake and gets his batches later at the same price.

This free marketing advice for your company.  You could follow it or simply resist my advice because it is your company and you ultimately make those decisions not me.

Has anyone made the mistake of ordering from Oct or Nov batches I don't know as I don't have that info.

Did your store create the chance that someone can order Oct or Nov vs Sept yes it did plain and simple fact.

Will you fix that?  I don't know.
Will you allow an order for Nov to be moved to Sept if someone fucked up I don't know?
Will you give a coupon to a Nov order because the buyer is delayed for 60 days I don't know.

Will you say phil in this case you are right we did create a chance for a buyer to have a 60 day delay thanks for pointing it out and we will fix it.

We checked our records and only 2 people placed orders in Oct or Nov we will move them up to Sept.
We will only list  Sept until it sells out then list Oct till it sells out then list Nov til it sells out.
I don't know.

Do you think I like posting here over and over and over pointing out issue after issue .

Fact is I don't and would rather not post here until the gear I ordered arrives.

Tell you what I stopped posting here. Until the gear I ordered arrives.

As I understand my order with squirrels it is for 1 215+ and 1 nest and is due for sept batch.
order number 482 is my squirrels order reads sept batch

As I understand my order with mineority it is for 1 215+ and is due in the august batch.

Order Number: 25 is my order from mineority

btw it does not say that it is August batch or Sept batch or Oct batch or Nov Batch  when order was placed it read August shipping so Hopefully it ships with the August batch.

WOW! What’s wrong with you? People like you are the reason why nobody can put out stuff for the community. Why don’t you learn vhdl coding and you can be up and running by 2023. If not wait just like everyone else.
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 07:15:49 AM

I don't really blame people asking questions here, it's all fine and well to refer ro Discord and interviews etc but here's where everything was announced first so many people expect the thread to be updated.

Also don't forget people are uneasy with delays in this space, because of the multitude of scams that occur on a daily basis.

Let's be patient and hope for the best.

mfurman

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 11:07:03 AM

WOW! What’s wrong with you? People like you are the reason why nobody can put out stuff for the community. Why don’t you learn vhdl coding and you can be up and running by 2023. If not wait just like everyone else.

There is nothing wrong with his questions. This is not about coding - it is about a business meeting their schedule, executing the release and responding to support related questions.. Are you saying that before I know everything about creating software, I cannot complain about Microsoft delaying a release? What does it have to do with "putting stuff for the community"? Is it because it is Crypto related that different set of rules applies?
dsmn

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 11:25:37 AM

Go lookup what the guys behind this project did before, they have a really good history, and I cant imagine they would destroy their name on a scam, david and kristy are NOT your standard nerds, it would make no sense for people with that kind of inteligense to make a scam, there is way more money and pride in making a real product.

Go look at bitmain, you dont make 4 billion yearly profit on a scam, you gotta deliver a product Wink
Ivanetadichk

Activity: 77

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 11:36:54 AM

Is this turning into a scam now? Are there any left to buy? Maybe I could buy one from someone who has lost faith.... Roll Eyes
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7764

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2018, 01:16:07 PM

I can say this  preorders out to Nov = shaky
But no discounts offered on the Nov  = WTF
This is wrong and looks bad see below same price  for sept order and same price for nov order.

I guess in the crypto world we have become used to how the various ASIC miner manufacturers have done their pricing for pre-orders, and consider that "normal." Given that the ASICs are not particularly flexible in what they can mine, perhaps it's necessary to even out the order flow and entice new orders to keep the manufacturing lines busy and the coin rolling in.

Seems SQRL has opted for a different approach to pricing their offerings. Time will tell which method is the right one, or if there is room for different pricing models based on the flexibility of the mining hardware being offered for sale.

Alternatively - instead of a million conspiracy theories you could see that the price of components is only going up and most are extremely constrained right now, and building these things doesn’t magically go down in cost in November. There isn’t some huge profit margin to discount things just because you feel they should be discounted further out.

If you don’t want it - don’t buy it. If you’re skeptical, wait till the review units go out. It really is pretty simple. There is a massive amount of effort and activity behind making these, and the software, and the logistics. I welcome someone else here to step into that for even a day. We are regularly at the mercy of Xilinx and component supplies in the global supply chain as well.

We’re awaiting actual production line roll off starting next week, and some verification time after that to ensure that all is going smoothly. Exactly on-time.

Thanks for the reply .

There is no conspiracy it is a fact that  you have not sold out Sept. batch at 329 according to your website

and you offer Nov batch at 329. The screenshot is simply taken from your website showing that.

Simple accounting shows  that is wrong .
So why offer it?
Your website has sept and should not list oct or nov  until sept is sold out.
All it does is create a chance that a buyer makes a mistake and gets his batches later at the same price.

This free marketing advice for your company.  You could follow it or simply resist my advice because it is your company and you ultimately make those decisions not me.

Has anyone made the mistake of ordering from Oct or Nov batches I don't know as I don't have that info.

Did your store create the chance that someone can order Oct or Nov vs Sept yes it did plain and simple fact.

Will you fix that?  I don't know.
Will you allow an order for Nov to be moved to Sept if someone fucked up I don't know?
Will you give a coupon to a Nov order because the buyer is delayed for 60 days I don't know.

Will you say phil in this case you are right we did create a chance for a buyer to have a 60 day delay thanks for pointing it out and we will fix it.

We checked our records and only 2 people placed orders in Oct or Nov we will move them up to Sept.
We will only list  Sept until it sells out then list Oct till it sells out then list Nov til it sells out.
I don't know.

Do you think I like posting here over and over and over pointing out issue after issue .

Fact is I don't and would rather not post here until the gear I ordered arrives.

Tell you what I stopped posting here. Until the gear I ordered arrives.

As I understand my order with squirrels it is for 1 215+ and 1 nest and is due for sept batch.
order number 482 is my squirrels order reads sept batch

As I understand my order with mineority it is for 1 215+ and is due in the august batch.

Order Number: 25 is my order from mineority

btw it does not say that it is August batch or Sept batch or Oct batch or Nov Batch  when order was placed it read August shipping so Hopefully it ships with the August batch.

I said I would not post here until I got my order.

So here is a link to a new thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4830805.new#new

I will read here but not post here.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 02:08:13 PM

Comments:

1) I have never seen any engineering development project with finite resources meet a schedule.

2) This is a project where there are hardware and software deliverables.

3) Unlike GPU's, since there is just one FPGA hardware supplier, it's hard to know how much extra software coding there is cover FPGA spec variance (if any) AND all reasonable hardware configurations (GPU/MB).

mfurman

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 10:02:55 PM

BCU-1525 delayed. I am wondering what would happen to Acorn release schedule
ZedZedNova

Activity: 475
Merit: 265

Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 02:04:16 AM

The BCU was delayed by Xilinx who makes both the FPGAs and the board that is the BCU1525. Xilinx is delayed due to unavailability of other components used to make the BCU, not the actual FPGA itself. SQRL is facilitating the BCU orders, if I understand correctly, not making the boards.

Any project could be delayed if they needed the same components that Xilinx is waiting for, Acorn included.

Supply chain stuff is complicated, and most companies try to have multiple suppliers for most components to prevent this from happening. Sometimes there is only one supplier for a critical component, and that supplier has a problem, well, you are SOL. It's also not usually easy to get a new supplier online in a short period of time, especially if high volumes of components are needed. Not to mention those suppliers also have existing customers with contracts...

No mining at the moment.
danielchap

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 06:25:46 AM

My guess is that it will get delayed too. A common delay cause is chip fabrication, which is shared amongst various manufacturers.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: