Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:55:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC hacked, QT robbed, MtGox account hacked on the same time- how?  (Read 2025 times)
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:43:01 AM

This is why it is important to have a dedicated secure PC for your wallet. I personally keep the PC with my wallet offline and do not browse the internet with it, its too risky.

When I do go online with it, it is a hard wired connection, never wi-fi. Sounds like paranoia but it will safeguard you.

I personally prefer never to use a PC, if by PC you mean Windows. 100x more malware / trojans on Windows systems than Linux, or even OSX for that matter.

Very good point.

Standard issue malware won't steal your bitcoins, and a targeted attack (which seems to be the case here) is just as likely to happen on Windows as it is on Linux.

Besides, nothing can save someone who willingly runs malicious software on his computer, Linux, OSX, Windows or whatnot.

You saying there isn't more malware / viruses / keyloggers on an average Windows machine than an average OXS or Linux machine? Joking right???
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 11:38:13 AM

I remembered hearing a really great presentation where the person, I forgot his name but he was very knowledgeable about IT security said that 2fa is useless if you have an infected PC - Man in the Middle attack will login with your 2fa and initiate a withdrawal in the same execution timeframe with the same 2fa key - I think that laymans explanation of what he had stated.  It was basically that, if you're using a malware device on either end, the MITM attack would exploit your key like an elaborate phishing attempt of sorts.

Your QT was emptied because of of the new password request.  which was obviously a spoof - it could have been tied to the other mitm attack that caused the mt gox withdrawals - if someone else has the correct or a better explanation, I am all ears.

Ploo

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:01:48 PM

I remembered hearing a really great presentation where the person, I forgot his name but he was very knowledgeable about IT security said that 2fa is useless if you have an infected PC - Man in the Middle attack will login with your 2fa and initiate a withdrawal in the same execution timeframe with the same 2fa key - I think that laymans explanation of what he had stated.  It was basically that, if you're using a malware device on either end, the MITM attack would exploit your key like an elaborate phishing attempt of sorts.

Your QT was emptied because of of the new password request.  which was obviously a spoof - it could have been tied to the other mitm attack that caused the mt gox withdrawals - if someone else has the correct or a better explanation, I am all ears.

2FA is useless if your computer is compromised, that is if all the 2FA does is provide an ephemeral auth token to 'authorise' an action. Since there's no way to know what it is that you are in fact authenticating - it could be the withdrawal that you're seeing on the screen, or it could be that the attacker is manipulating web page content and doing something else with the token you provide.

For 2FA to be secure (assuming the 2FA device is secure), it needs to sign some data that'll only authorize the very specific withdrawal that you wish to make, so:
- destination address
for convenience this could be just the first 10 characters for example, just enough so that it is inpractical to brute force it in a reasonable time frame using vanitygen
- number of coins
in case the attacker is able to both infect your machine AND socially engineer a scenario in which you willingly send money to an address he controls, except he'll adjust the number of coins once the victim authorises the tx and destination address.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:37:57 PM

100x more malware / trojans on Windows systems than Linux, or even OSX for that matter.

Only if you're a moron and go browsing on dodgy sites with shitty or outdated antivirus, or a moron and using IE.

Personally I have a 'working' wallet on my PC, and my 'cold storage' wallet is on a Windows 7 install in a VM, which has it's virtual drive on an external hard-drive.  No way in hell that's ever being accessed unless I'm there to plug it in, fire it up, sync the wallet and shut it down again.
Ins

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:17:51 PM

Your friend didnt turn off his computer when webcam starts, or disconnect it from internet, because you said "Bitcoin QT asked for a new password".
Trojan just open new dialog where it asking for password. But no password changed, or changed, but sent to hacker.
Or key-logged, because webcam start's as you said
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: