Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:39:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: deleted wallet file in byteball app  (Read 2505 times)
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 02:29:50 AM

I'm posting instructions to recover a byteball wallet from its seed phrase to help anyone with a corrupted wallet folder they didn't back up.

Download this, install it leaving all the settings at their defaults, then restart your computer.

https://nodejs.org/dist/v6.9.3/node-v6.9.3-x86.msi

Create a folder named git in your C: folder, then download this.

https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/releases/download/v2.11.0.windows.1/PortableGit-2.11.0-32-bit.7z.exe

You might have to temporarily disable your antivirus for the next steps. My avast antivirus warned me PortableGit-2.11.0-32-bit.7z.exe contained suspicious files and deleted some. However, my antivirus has not been updated for a long time, a virustotal scan shows the latest version of avast considers it safe.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/fccec9350c1cb58a5e6d84d307d4f9f43ab9d58d93c8de67056416539d199002/analysis/1483612263/

Run the PortableGit-2.11.0-32-bit.7z.exe file as administrator, and a window should open asking you where you want to extract it to.

Select the git folder you created earlier and click OK.

Afterwards open the git folder and run git-bash.exe as administrator.

A command prompt window should open.

Type the line of text below into it and press your enter key.

git clone https://github.com/byteball/headless-byteball.git

Wait until MINGW32 appears in a line of text with a flashing cursor at the end of it before doing each of the following steps.

Type the line of text below into it and press your enter key

git clone https://github.com/byteball/byteballcore.git

cd /headless-byteball

npm install

It might take a while before the previous step completes and MINGW32 appears in the command prompt window again.

Afterwards type the line of text below into it and press your enter key

node start.js

Eventually you should get a prompt inside the command line window saying "please name this device"

Type any name you want and press enter.

Next you should get a prompt saying "passphrase for your private key"

Type any password you want and press enter.

A lot of text should get written in the command prompt window ending with the line "To release the terminal, type Ctrl-Z, then 'bg'".

A few lines above the bottom of it there should be a line of text similar to the one below

my pairing code: ArDBcItObVqJ6kVFTLCgr1QGpC2go13yCyNJUnWPItVJ@byteball.org/bb#randomstring

Copy and save the bit after "my pairing code:". In the case above that would be save

ArDBcItObVqJ6kVFTLCgr1QGpC2go13yCyNJUnWPItVJ@byteball.org/bb#randomstring

Click the red x at the top of the command prompt window to close it.

A warning window should open saying "processes are running in session: close anyway?".

Press OK and the command prompt window should close.

Start your original byteball wallet that contained your coins, open global preferences, and look for 'Device address', for example 04JOZCX5QFI2HMPSDDDTWUYUQ52DYNM6Q. Copy and save it for later.

Click the windows orb at the bottom left of your windows desktop and write the text below into the search box, then press enter.

%appdata%

A hidden folder should open. Navigate to the folder named local that's inside the appdata folder. Open the folder named headless-byteball inside it.

Delete everything inside it apart from keys.json and conf.json.

Open the file named keys.json in notepad

To the right of where it says "mnemonic_phrase" change the seed phrase to the one from your original byteball wallet, then save and close the file.

Open the file named conf.json in notepad

It should look something like the line below. Copy and save the deviceName, in this case that's test5.

{
   "deviceName": "test5"
}

Delete the contents of the conf.json file and replace them with this

{
   "deviceName": "test2"
,   "control_addresses" : ["0D27EAWBJHN366A4CZ6QAEY6CXXHUQWVA"], "payout_address": "TKHVHEXL7PORCIIUDTBDO25LSI5G3UIV"}

Delete the bit after control_addresses (in this case 0D27EAWBJHN366A4CZ6QAEY6CXXHUQWVA), and replace it with the device address you saved earlier (example 04JOZCX5QFI2HMPSDDDTWUYUQ52DYNM6Q).

Delete the bit after deviceName (in this case test2), and replace it with the deviceName you saved earlier (example test5).

Delete the bit after payout_address (in this case TKHVHEXL7PORCIIUDTBDO25LSI5G3UIV), and replace it with your current receiving address from your GUI byteball wallet.

Save and close the file.

Afterwards open the git folder again and run git-bash.exe as administrator.

Type the line of text below into it and press enter

cd /headless-byteball

node start.js

If there are no problems lines like the ones below should appear somewhere in the command prompt.

-----------------------
remote access allowed from devices: 04JOZCX5QFI2HMPSDDDTWUYUQ52DYNM6Q
payouts allowed to address: TKHVHEXL7PORCIIUDTBDO25LSI5G3UIV
-----------------------

Afterwards copy the pairing code from the command prompt window (for example
Aqv3YdogDJw6aHj8nRMT8/m9fsm3X2c40QA959tHQmqq@byteball.org/bb#randomstring)

Open the menu of your GUI byteball wallet and then click "paired devices".

Click "add a new device", then click "accept invitation".
Paste the pairing code you saved into the text box and press the "pair" button

At the bottom of the GUI wallet there should be a text box for you to text messages to your headless wallet device. Type one of the instructions in bold below to text your headless wallet a message, then press enter.

balance: to request the current balance on the headless wallet;
address: to get to know one of the wallet's addresses, you use it to refill the wallet's balance;
pay <amount in bytes> to request withdrawal from the headless wallet to your payout_address.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinling (OP)

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 10:07:39 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2017, 10:27:55 PM by coinling

Unfortunately for me it does not work so far.

Did anyone check this with a removed wallet like this?

Open byteball app
transfer some coins to the wallet
create a new wallet
delete the wallet where the coins were sent to.
Write down Seed + Device Address.

Move on with Hi-Tec99 instructions.

For me it says balance 0 although the wallets have definitely the same seed...

EDIT:

A few lines above the bottom of it there should be a line of text similar to the one below

my pairing code: ArDBcItObVqJ6kVFTLCgr1QGpC2go13yCyNJUnWPItVJ@byteball.org/bb#randomstring

This appears to me few lines below the top instead of bottom?

dialsamai

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2018, 12:31:32 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2018, 06:42:09 PM by dialsamai

I'm posting instructions to recover a byteball wallet from its seed phrase to help anyone with a corrupted wallet folder they didn't back up.

Download this, install it leaving all the settings at their defaults, then restart your computer.

https://nodejs.org/dist/v6.9.3/node-v6.9.3-x86.msi

Create a folder named git in your C: folder, then download this.

https[Suspicious link removed]

You might have to temporarily disable your antivirus for the next steps. My avast antivirus warned me PortableGit-2.11.0-32-bit.7z.exe contained suspicious files and deleted some. However, my antivirus has not been updated for a long time, a virustotal scan shows the latest version of avast considers it safe.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/fccec9350c1cb58a5e6d84d307d4f9f43ab9d58d93c8de67056416539d199002/analysis/1483612263/

Run the PortableGit-2.11.0-32-bit.7z.exe file as administrator, and a window should open asking you where you want to extract it to.

Select the git folder you created earlier and click OK.

Afterwards open the git folder and run git-bash.exe as administrator.

Type the line of text below into it and press your enter key.

git clone https://github.com/byteball/headless-byteball.git

Wait until MINGW32 appears in a line of text with a flashing cursor at the end of it before doing each of the following steps.

git clone https://github.com/byteball/byteballcore.git

cd /headless-byteball

npm install

It might take a while before the previous step completes and MINGW32 appears in the command prompt window again.

Afterwards type the line of text below into it and press your enter key

node start.js

Eventually you should get a prompt inside the command line window saying "please name this device"

Type any name you want and press enter.

Next you should get a prompt saying "passphrase for your private key"

Type any password you want and press enter.

A lot of text should get written in the command prompt window ending with the line "To release the terminal, type Ctrl-Z, then 'bg'".

Copy and save the bit after "my pairing code:". In the case above that would be save

ArDBcItObVqJ6kVFTLCgr1QGpC2go13yCyNJUnWPItVJ@byteball.org/bb#randomstring

Click the red x at the top of the command prompt window to close it.

A warning window should open saying "processes are running in session: close anyway?".

Press OK and the command prompt window should close.

Start your original byteball wallet that contained your coins, open global preferences, and look for 'Device address', for example 04JOZCX5QFI2HMPSDDDTWUYUQ52DYNM6Q. Copy and save it for later.

Click the windows orb at the bottom left of your windows desktop and write the text below into the search box, then press enter.

%appdata%

A hidden folder should open. Navigate to the folder named local that's inside the appdata folder. Open the folder named headless-byteball inside it.

Delete everything inside it apart from keys.json and conf.json.

Open the file named keys.json in notepad

To the right of where it says "mnemonic_phrase" change the seed phrase to the one from your original byteball wallet, then save and close the file.

Open the file named conf.json in notepad

It should look something like the line below. Copy and save the deviceName, in this case that's test5.

{
   "deviceName": "test5"
}

Delete the contents of the conf.json file and replace them with this

{
   "deviceName": "test2"
,   "control_addresses" : ["0D27EAWBJHN366A4CZ6QAEY6CXXHUQWVA"], "payout_address": "TKHVHEXL7PORCIIUDTBDO25LSI5G3UIV"}

Delete the bit after control_addresses (in this case 0D27EAWBJHN366A4CZ6QAEY6CXXHUQWVA), and replace it with the device address you saved earlier (example 04JOZCX5QFI2HMPSDDDTWUYUQ52DYNM6Q).

Delete the bit after deviceName (in this case test2), and replace it with the deviceName you saved earlier (example test5).

Delete the bit after payout_address (in this case TKHVHEXL7PORCIIUDTBDO25LSI5G3UIV), and replace it with your current receiving address from your GUI byteball wallet.

Save and close the file.

Afterwards open the git folder again and run git-bash.exe as administrator.

cd /headless-byteball

node start.js

If there are no problems lines like the ones below should appear somewhere in the command prompt.

-----------------------
-----------------------

Afterwards copy the pairing code from the command prompt window (for example
Aqv3YdogDJw6aHj8nRMT8/m9fsm3X2c40QA959tHQmqq@byteball.org/bb#randomstring)

Open the menu of your GUI byteball wallet and then click "paired devices".

Click "add a new device", then click "accept invitation".
Paste the pairing code you saved into the text box and press the "pair" button

At the bottom of the GUI wallet there should be a text box for you to text messages to your headless wallet device. Type one of the instructions in bold below to text your headless wallet a message, then press enter.

balance: to request the current balance on the headless wallet;
address: to get to know one of the wallet's addresses, you use it to refill the wallet's balance;
pay <amount in bytes> to request withdrawal from the headless wallet to your payout_address.

Hi. I am being displayed error "No active addresses found." I thought this fix (initially proposed by Tony I think) would work, but the npm install command is giving me a bunch of errors, after a deprecated warning.

Does this fix still work, or is it out of date? I've been asking for help in the Byteball Slack, but after about a week I think I will be moving on to other means, like this community... I'll keep trying, keep hoping.

Blessings, and thanks.

EDIT: Actually I think I've had some success; I am able to see this part (with my actual addresses, of course):

-----------------------
-----------------------

But I've not yet been able to see my balance in the GUI wallet... How do I check it on the headless one?

This is my wallet, btw: https://explorer.byteball.org/#KSBUZTUK75QXTFQ33NSYERMVU575XSGU

Any help would be great.  Grin
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: