Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:50:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I think my ban is harsh! Can it be reduced to 7 from 30 days?  (Read 451 times)
webtricksALT (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 18, 2019, 04:01:46 AM
Last edit: September 19, 2019, 04:15:31 PM by webtricksALT

So I just woke up and found that I am banned for 30 days for running on-forum giveaway/incentivising to post. However, I just created thread in 'Games and Round' section paying people 200 DOGE each to join and try my new site. There was no obligation to post in any other thread. Most of the gambling sites do so and that's the reason why 'Games and Round' section exists, isn't it?

Please explain me in seven world why this leads to ban?

Also: I will be using my alt account for just this thread so don't ban it too as far as I don't post outside this thread.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lafu
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 3033

View Profile
September 18, 2019, 04:04:27 AM

Dont know exactly but can be that you maybe got the same problem as here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5185059.0

PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
September 18, 2019, 04:07:10 AM

So I just woke up and found that I am banned for 30 days for running on-forum giveaway/incentivising to post. However, I just created thread in 'Games and Round' section paying people 200 DOGE each to join and try my new site. There was no obligation to post in any other thread.
Most giveaway threads are no longer allowed in the Alternate cryptocurrencies sections. From now on, posting or replying to such threads could result in being banned. Existing threads will be locked.

Specifically, you are not allowed to give people any incentive to post insubstantial posts in your threads. You can't offer to pay people who post their addresses, usernames, etc. You can do giveaways off-site and link to the giveaway page in a thread, but you can't give people any bonus for replying to your thread.

Similar threads are already restricted to Games and Rounds in the non-altcoin sections, but the giveaway-related post volume is so high in the altcoin sections that I've decided to just ban them entirely here.

Your thread was requiring users to post an insubstantial post in an altcoin giveaway thread.

Your thread was in the incorrect sub because it was not bitcoin related.
webtricksALT (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2019, 04:37:27 AM

Your thread was requiring users to post an insubstantial post in an altcoin giveaway thread.

Your thread was in the incorrect sub because it was not bitcoin related.

Except for the fact that I wasn't giving away some new fancy shitty altcoin. My giveaway was in well-established altcoin which is currently having market cap of 318M. I know people abuse giveaways through their newly created tokens but giveaway in listed top 50 cryptocurrency is as good as bitcoin giveaway.
Also if people are allowed to giveaway physical coins and even Lamborghini in games and round section, what harm dogecoin is doing to attract 30 days ban.
Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1622

View Profile
September 18, 2019, 06:14:35 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2019, 06:25:46 AM by Tytanowy Janusz

Except for the fact that I wasn't giving away some new fancy shitty altcoin. My giveaway was in well-established altcoin which is currently having market cap of 318M. I know people abuse giveaways through their newly created tokens but giveaway in listed top 50 cryptocurrency is as good as bitcoin giveaway.
Also if people are allowed to giveaway physical coins and even Lamborghini in games and round section, what harm dogecoin is doing to attract 30 days ban.

There is not even a single word about token marketcap or token place on the CMC list in theymos post quoted by PrimeNumber7.

That's the reason why 'Games and Round' section exists, isn't it?

Games and rounds section is made to host games (pick number etc). Giveaway thread that requires users to post usernames is not a game.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16541

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2019, 07:14:28 AM

So I just woke up and found that I am banned for 30 days for running on-forum giveaway/incentivising to post.
You're literally answered your own question in the first sentence.

Except for the fact that I wasn't giving away some new fancy shitty altcoin. My giveaway was in well-established altcoin which is currently having market cap of 318M.
That doesn't matter, it's not allowed for any coin other than Bitcoin.

Mods don't check all threads. If you think any of those topics violate forum rules, click "Report to moderator" and explain why it should be deleted.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
rhomelmabini

Activity: 2002
Merit: 578

View Profile
September 18, 2019, 09:13:22 AM

Even though that isn't a shitcoin the rule is as clear as crystal that users are just replying insubstantial posts on  your thread. I guess it's not just you who have been banned but the people as well that posted their usernames on your thread, that's kind of sad, may it be an eye opener to everyone that rules do run here.
webtricksALT (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 01:52:58 PM

There is not even a single word about token marketcap or token place on the CMC list in theymos post quoted by PrimeNumber7.

I know there is not a single word about marketcap in rules. But I was just implying that it's a kind of dumb to cover all altcoins in this definition when real abuse was due to giveaways launched by ICO coins.

That's the reason why 'Games and Round' section exists, isn't it?
Games and rounds section is made to host games (pick number etc). Giveaway thread that requires users to post usernames is not a game.

Giveaway is pretty common in Games and Round section. I'm not the first one to create giveaway thread.

Even though that isn't a shitcoin the rule is as clear as crystal that users are just replying insubstantial posts on  your thread. I guess it's not just you who have been banned but the people as well that posted their usernames on your thread, that's kind of sad, may it be an eye opener to everyone that rules do run here.

So you saying, my one page thread contained more insubstantial posts than this 78 pages holy thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5138787.0 !! Just because he is giving away money in Bitcoin, he should be allowed to create the thread containing 1550 insubstantial posts and counting?
I was giving away in dogecoin (a coin having market value just like Bitcoin), not some shitty self-created ICO/Airdrop coin.

I still think 30 days ban is kinda harsh on me. I know I broke rule due to the complexity of rules but 7 or 14 days would been a more appropriate in my case. I have thread to maintain, since I can't reply to people's queries anymore on forum it's lose-lose for both me and forum members having genuine concerns.

Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1622

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 02:08:57 PM

So you saying, my one page thread contained more insubstantial posts than this 78 pages holy thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5138787.0 !! Just because he is giving away money in Bitcoin, he should be allowed to create the thread containing 1550 insubstantial posts and counting?
I was giving away in dogecoin (a coin having market value just like Bitcoin), not some shitty self-created ICO/Airdrop coin.

I still think 30 days ban is kinda harsh on me. I know I broke rule due to the complexity of rules but 7 or 14 days would been a more appropriate in my case. I have thread to maintain, since I can't reply to people's queries anymore on forum it's lose-lose for both me and forum members having genuine concerns.

The Game

By popular demand this game is back! I'm thinking of 5 numbers between 1-5,000 and if you can guess a number you win $50!

Not only bitcoin makes it legal. This is a game in games and rounds section. Silly one (guess number) but it is a game. Its not a giveaway thread like yours "post your nick and take money". That's why it does not break any rule and it is placed in correct section.

Agree. 7-14 days would be enought. You are SR member with 53 earned merits and DT2? That should work as extenuating circumstances.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16541

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2019, 04:03:09 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2019, 04:46:00 PM by LoyceV

I know there is not a single word about marketcap in rules. But I was just implying that it's a kind of dumb to cover all altcoins in this definition when real abuse was due to giveaways launched by ICO coins.
I think you have a point there, but how do you suggest to implement this? I do suggest you create a topic in Meta after your ban to discuss changing this rule. Don't create that topic now, it'll be ban-evasion and get you permanently banned.
The only way I can think of to stop abuse while allowing on-forum altcoin giveaways would be if there's a minimum dollar-equavalent value per post. Say $0.50 minimum on average. That stops giveaways where each post pays for instance 1 Doge, and it could also stop the "post 5000 different numbers to win 5 times $50 in Bitcoin" spam threads.
But I highly doubt theymos would want to control amounts given this way, and without clear restrictions altcoin-giveaways can't be allowed without being abused.

You could consider updating your topic title from "Why am I banned?" to for instance "I think my ban is harsh: can it be reduced from 30 to 7 days?".

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Rizzrack
Copper Member

Activity: 764
Merit: 694

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2019, 04:06:46 PM

[...]There was no obligation to post in any other thread[...]

but wasn't it ?

Quote from: webtricks
[...]
WE ARE GIVING AWAY 200 DOGE EACH TO 20 FORUM MEMBERS WHO WILL JOIN OUR LOTTERY SITE AND POST USERNAME BELOW.
CONDITION: MEMBER ACCOUNT MINIMUM
WE WILL APPRECIATE IF YOU POST A REVIEW OF OUR SITE ON OUR ANN THREAD (ALTHOUGH NOT MANDATORY)

Incentivizing posting in against the rules here ! See you next month Wink

webtricksALT (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 04:23:13 PM

~~
You could consider updating your topic title from "Why am I banned?" to for instance "I think my ban is harsh: can it be reduced from 30 to 7 days?".

Suggestion taken.
And I completely agree with your unquoted text.

Agree. 7-14 days would be enought. You are SR member with 53 earned merits and DT2? That should work as extenuating circumstances.

Yes, I am!

[...]There was no obligation to post in any other thread[...]

but wasn't it ?

Quote from: webtricks
[...]
WE ARE GIVING AWAY 200 DOGE EACH TO 20 FORUM MEMBERS WHO WILL JOIN OUR LOTTERY SITE AND POST USERNAME BELOW.
CONDITION: MEMBER ACCOUNT MINIMUM
WE WILL APPRECIATE IF YOU POST A REVIEW OF OUR SITE ON OUR ANN THREAD (ALTHOUGH NOT MANDATORY)

Incentivizing posting in against the rules here ! See you next month Wink

I think you don't know the meaning of 'obligation' and 'not mandatory'.
Earlier signature campaigns used to have the condition of posting in ANN but since theymos banned it, managers started adding line like this:
"we will appreciate participants to post in ANN"
There's nothing wrong with it unless you manipulating users to write biased posts. In my case, users were free to write whatever they deemed fit and most of them did post constructive criticism.
Rizzrack
Copper Member

Activity: 764
Merit: 694

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2019, 04:33:06 PM

if you would have rephrased it as "PM me the user" you were golden.
but post your username / wallet / "good project" in the thread [U.R.L=link here] (if you want) is not ok !

No one has anything against "constructive criticism", it is actually encouraged ... but it should not be suggested and incentivized    

P.S. gl with the ban reduction appeal...  Smiley

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2019, 08:15:14 PM
Merited by LoyceV (2), Quickseller (1)

I was the one who issued the ban - 30 days to the OP and 14 days to each participant. I have a zero tolerance policy for people running or participating in altcoin giveaways. Unless it's an edge case where the definition might or might not cover it, a new rule or a new broader interpretation of an existing rule, I issue 30 day bans (on the first offense, that is) to anyone who either creates or sponsors the creation of on-forum altcoin giveaways. Unless theymos explicitly modifies the "no altcoin giveaways" rule to exempt certain altcoins, I will continue to ban people at the same severity level as for any other coin or token.

Ban duration reduction appeal denied. You're free to appeal it to the head admin, theymos, but that's my final decision.

webtricksALT (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2019, 08:31:03 AM

I was the one who issued the ban - 30 days to the OP and 14 days to each participant. I have a zero tolerance policy for people running or participating in altcoin giveaways. Unless it's an edge case where the definition might or might not cover it, a new rule or a new broader interpretation of an existing rule, I issue 30 day bans (on the first offense, that is) to anyone who either creates or sponsors the creation of on-forum altcoin giveaways. Unless theymos explicitly modifies the "no altcoin giveaways" rule to exempt certain altcoins, I will continue to ban people at the same severity level as for any other coin or token.

Ban duration reduction appeal denied. You're free to appeal it to the head admin, theymos, but that's my final decision.

Here's the man I was looking for. I still remember the day you storm the altcoin section and trashed hundred of threads in one go, lol!

I don't think there's much left to discuss. I think theymos had already seen the thread and if he decided to remain silent then maybe my case is not strong enough. I will intimate him once and let's see if he replies. Else it's a wait for 28 more days!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: