Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:21:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 280 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius: 0% Fee BTC, 105% PPS NMC, No registration, CPPSRB  (Read 1061065 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Rock6.3

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:55:17 PM

site totally fubar?

eligius.st is not responding to pings. 
Server is either offline, or the network connection is broken.

this is bad  Sad
i've been mining alt SHA256 coins since this morning so my miners aren't pointing to eligius for now, can someone clarify if their miners are still hashing?

My miner has not switched to the failover pool.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pcpoet

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Cryptocurrency Rules man!

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:56:25 PM

site totally fubar?

this is bad  Sad
i've been mining alt SHA256 coins since this morning so my miners aren't pointing to eligius for now, can someone clarify if their miners are still hashing?

I hope someone can clarify soon.....  I'm pondering if my miner is hashing still.

“Yabba Dabba Doo!!”- Fred Flintstone
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 05:07:51 PM

site totally fubar?

this is bad  Sad

I hope someone can clarify soon.....  I'm pondering if my miner is hashing still.

Watching as well.

A well designed pool has it's front end (the part you see when you go to the website) separate from the backend (the part that does that mine processing).  Since the workers haven't failed over, chances are all is well.  We just can't see it. Smiley

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 05:10:15 PM

site totally fubar?

this is bad  Sad

Watching as well.

A well designed pool has it's front end (the part you see when you go to the website) separate from the backend (the part that does that mine processing).  Since the workers haven't failed over, chances are all is well.  We just can't see it. Smiley

M

i presumed so, just feel it's a bit too often these days  Undecided

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
Webbie

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 05:48:17 PM

Starting to happen a little to much, You would think by donating would help improve the site, and speed up the payouts to who donate...seems like a no brainer to me...
Todamont

Activity: 599
Merit: 272

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 05:54:27 PM

Stats have been down for like 48 hours, now the site is completely down. That's just unnaceptable for one of the largest pools, or really any site at all. I just am skeptical that this is all being used as a front for pool operators absconding with coins that should have gone to the miners. Admittedly I have a hard time trusting Christians or "altruists".
flounderella

Activity: 350

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 05:56:10 PM

I'm moving my miners off Eligius. May come back if things improve but this is ridiculous.

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 05:57:20 PM

Stats have been down for like 48 hours, now the site is completely down. That's just unnaceptable for one of the largest pools, or really any site at all. I just am skeptical that this is all being used as a front for pool operators absconding with coins that should have gone to the miners. Admittedly I have a hard time trusting Christians or "altruists".

Pick your poison.

Pay 3% at BTC Guild and have a rock solid site.

Pay nothing, except optional donations here, and the system can be unstable.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
HypnoticGuy

Activity: 65

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 05:59:06 PM

site totally fubar?

this is bad  Sad

Watching as well.

M

I presumed so, just feel it's a bit too often these days  Undecided
The last time it went into fail safe mode I know that my miners were still hashing, and Eligius was still accumulating my Bitcoin.  When they came back up my total was right about where I estimated it should be.  If your miners were producing Bitcoin before the public site went down, and you haven't changed anything, I wouldn't worry.

I agree that this seems to be happening a bit too often these days.  However, I have a hunch it's because Eligius is probably growing and gaining more hashrate rather quickly.  Eligius is always 2nd or 3rd largest pool as far as hash rate in the rankings.  https://blockchain.info/pools

The way I see it this is new technology, and it's a learning experience for all involved.  It's not like wizkid or anybody else has had a chance to come into this with 10 years of experience.

HypnoticGuy

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 06:10:27 PM

I'm moving my miners off Eligius. May come back if things improve but this is ridiculous.

This is something I have difficulty understanding.  Your mining rig isn't going to run any faster in another pool, and it's definitely going to cost you more to mine somewhere else.

So, you can stay and get the exact BTC you should get when things are back online (they have always paid in the past), or you can leave and lose a percentage in fees, and have less BTC at the same point in time as Eligius will eventually pay out.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that anyone would leave, unless you like paying a fee to see pretty numbers and charts.  The end result of leaving is you end up with less BTC.

Oh, and if getting ripped off is a concern, Eligius has a history of always paying out, and I can't imagine they would stop all of a sudden.  Heck, ANY pool could pack up and bail at any moment, stealing from all the members even if their stats are working perfectly.  Stats being down on Eligius certainly isn't a sign that there's a higher risk of being ripped off.

raskul

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:10:33 PM

+ 1. Everyday it's something.

i've now gone to bitparking. if we need to wait so long for payouts, i may as well work on a DGM pool... and get some shitcoins in the process.

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:18:37 PM

This is something I have difficulty understanding.  Your mining rig isn't going to run any faster in another pool, and it's definitely going to cost you more to mine somewhere else.

Not necessarily. Eclipse (no I have no connection to them really) does DGM with no fees (but they do keep the tx fees IIRC), and p2pool is no fee as well. Technically it doesn't matter if you mine with a pool or mine solo, your payout over time should be identical. However "time" can be centuries if you mine alone.

That is one question on my mind: Do large pools have any luck advantage because as they generate blocks they have a head start on the next block due to propagation delays? The advantage might be small, but if it's cumulative it could be a problem.

Also a larger pool might have a lower percentage of rejected blocks, it's small but there.

As for fees, neither eclipse or eligius charge fees, however I always seem to have 3% in my "shelved shares", and Eclipse's luck always seems to hover around 47-48%. Actually that might mean a 4-6% less payout, correct?

It makes absolutely no sense to me that anyone would leave, unless you like paying a fee to see pretty numbers and charts.  The end result of leaving is you end up with less BTC.
One of the biggest draws of Eligius for me (aside from the trust in the provider) is the stats allow me to match my system performance with what they are seeing. On Eclipse I sometimes see a bit less, and I wonder if that's due to lag, pool quality, or chance. I wish they had longer running stats so I could see what my systems were doing.

What I might do is split my 900+gh between three pools: 300 for Eclipse, 300 for Eligius, 300 for p2pool. Once Eligius comes back to a stable state, if they're having capacity problems I will point my stuff elsewhere even though it costs me a bit in that rock-solid reliability I have grown to trust.

C

C
HypnoticGuy

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 06:31:47 PM

+ 1. Everyday it's something.

i've now gone to bitparking. if we need to wait so long for payouts, i may as well work on a DGM pool... and get some shitcoins in the process.

Wait so long?  Was there something you needed to buy immediately, and you need your payout right away?  Otherwise, what does it really matter if you end up getting the coins you are supposed to get at the point in time when they are able to pay out?

In fact, if you really do have some kind of emergency and you need your coins immediately I bet wizkid would take the time to do a manual payout if you emailed him privately.  I can't speak for him, and I am not sure he'd do it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

However, if there's no emergency, and you aren't just dying to spend your coins on something right away, I don't see what the issue is in regards to having to wait.  Now, if the rent is due today, you pay it in BTC, and you don't have enough in your wallet now, then I can understand.  But, if you are just going to hold the BTC in a wallet then it really doesn't matter as long as we eventually get paid what we are supposed to be paid, and I have no doubt we will.

Or am I missing something here?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:41:36 PM

Wait so long?  Was there something you needed to buy immediately, and you need your payout right away?  Otherwise, what does it really matter if you end up getting the coins you are supposed to get at the point in time when they are able to pay out?

The vast majority of Eligius miner's don't know and don't trust the operators of the pool.  They use it because it is the low fee option.  Once the risk (meaning queued payouts) becomes greater than the reward (call it 1% of mining), then they leave.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
HypnoticGuy

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 06:45:27 PM

That is one question on my mind: Do large pools have any luck advantage because as they generate blocks they have a head start on the next block due to propagation delays? The advantage might be small, but if it's cumulative it could be a problem.

Also a larger pool might have a lower percentage of rejected blocks, it's small but there.

As for fees, neither eclipse or eligius charge fees, however I always seem to have 3% in my "shelved shares", and Eclipse's luck always seems to hover around 47-48%. Actually that might mean a 4-6% less payout, correct?

It is my understanding that if you leave this pool eventually you will still get your 3% or whatever shelved shares.  I thought I saw that posted by someone on Reddit the other day.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.  I'd be interested in knowing, just in case I decide to leave for a better pool.....oh wait...Eligius is the best. Never mind. :-)

I hadn't thought of it but I guess having a head start on the next block in larger pools can help, but Eligius is consistently pool #2 or #3.  I wonder how much difference it would make over time compared to #1.

In regards to luck however, no matter what pool, my hunch is that over time it balances out across the entire Bitcoin network.  Sort of like Vegas.  Whether you are having a bad streak, or a lucky streak, the house odds are going to be the same over time.

HypnoticGuy

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 06:54:00 PM

The vast majority of Eligius miner's don't know and don't trust the operators of the pool.  They use it because it is the low fee option.  Once the risk (meaning queued payouts) becomes greater than the reward (call it 1% of mining), then they leave.

But the thing is, ANY pool can be ripping off their members, even if they have the prettiest, most reliable stats.  For all the members of BTC Guild know it's taking members a few minutes longer than it's supposed to each day to mine a certain amount, and that hash time is going to the head cheese at BTC Guild. Heck, I am sure there are ways to skim off coins that most people wouldn't even understand. 

Nobody knows for sure.  However, I do know that Eligius has always paid out eventually, and I am in no hurry to spend my BTC, so I can wait....UNTIL NEXT THURSDAY when I am ordering an S1. I better have my damn payout by then! :-)
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:54:38 PM

site totally fubar?

this is bad  Sad

As of 12:46 pm Mountain Time, my miner is still hashing away. Stats page is 504.
raskul

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:56:33 PM

site totally fubar?

this is bad  Sad

As of 12:46 pm Mountain Time, my miner is still hashing away. Stats page is 504.

thanks for clarifying that. I have no doubt the pool is still working away Wink

gorgatron

Activity: 110

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 07:28:49 PM

Just checked in for the first time since yesterday afternoon (CST). Site showing 504 here, too, but the miners I have directed at Eligius have never switched to failover during the past week or two where the site has been really, really buggy.

payouts also slow, the same as with the rest. wasn't really an 'issue' until yesterday, when i decided to buy another miner. that isn't the fault of Eligius though, so i'm not assigning blame. i had had a few small purchases the day prior and my 'hot' wallet was a little depleted. the additional miner was spur-of-the-moment, and thought i had enough to cover it. not a big deal. just took a little out of the cold wallet, and will be able to replace what i took out within a few days i'm sure.

as for the fees in discussion... i think they're a good idea on the surface. i agree with others who are posting that a little thought needs to be put into on how these truly would be implemented. i think most who post here regularly, or follow this thread regularly, as i don't really post too often, donate at least some portion back to the pool. i'm sure that most do not. it's free, and they simply latch onto that. donating takes effort, and if your sole draw to the pool is the lack of fees, i doubt a person in the frame of mind would donate.

for those who aren't donating, if you like the pool, stop bitching and donate. even if you are like me and don't have a lot of hashing power, you can still pony up 0.5%-1%. you're not going to notice it.

that all said, it is odd that the site has been as wonky as it's has been, and the payout mechanism is much, much slower. i don't mind if i get the minimum once per day, or 3 or 4 times that a few days down the road. i'm mainly just hopeful that whatever is causing the issues can be resolved without a lot more hassle to the operators, since whatever is causing the problem seems to still be lingering, meaning it must not be obvious or easy.

good luck WK, and Luke. i'll drop by another time to catch up on the latest news.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 07:32:58 PM

I hadn't thought of it but I guess having a head start on the next block in larger pools can help, but Eligius is consistently pool #2 or #3.  I wonder how much difference it would make over time compared to #1.

I'm not sure. Technically you can't hold the answer for long; if someone else gets it you totally lose. But if you have huge hashing it might be worth it, I don't know. Then again I am probably missing something very very basic, anyone?

In regards to luck however, no matter what pool, my hunch is that over time it balances out across the entire Bitcoin network.  Sort of like Vegas.  Whether you are having a bad streak, or a lucky streak, the house odds are going to be the same over time.

And that is what I am hanging my hat on right now. It's maddening, but quite true that any pool might never find a block again. Or they might find a thousand blocks in sequence. But over time everything averages out.

Even the 3%, 4%, and 70% luck I am looking at now. Everything. If not then everyone will go to one pool and that will be it for Bitcoin.

C
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 280 »
  Print  

Jump to: