Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:08:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is hardware wallet can be hacked?  (Read 532 times)
AlexAce420

Activity: 155
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 11:36:16 AM

Firstly I think there is no way to hacked hardware wallet. On the other hand, I also think it could be. About the software, there is no perfect security system. Hardware wallets cannot be hacked if it never been connected to a device that is connected to the internet but can be hacked if someone has physically accessed the hardware. So we have to be careful in keeping our hardware Wallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KID_28

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 11:40:40 AM

I think someone can, soon enough. Every security system has its weakness. If someone can build it, there os also a possibility that it can be hacked. Beware everytime.
ayubadairo

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 11:43:50 AM

Ledger Nano S is a Bitcoin, Ethereum and Altcoins hardware wallet, based on robust safety features for storing cryptographic assets and securing digital payments. It connects to any computer (USB) and embeds a secure OLED display to double-check and confirm each transaction with a single tap on its side buttons
judel_2018

Activity: 87

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 11:50:51 AM

it is the only secured wallet available as of today and cannot be hacked!

Of course when you leave it anywhere they will hacked especially when someone know about that wallet or maybe your friend they will get that wallet. I will advice for those who have wallet of Bitcoin please keep it safety.
ranman09

Activity: 756
Merit: 112

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 12:17:38 PM

There have been no reported cases of a hardware wallet being hacked remotely without tampering.

Hardware wallets are offline in a sense that they never expose your private keys outside the device itself (the device itself signs your transactions so it never needs to be exposed anywhere else), so unless a massive exploit is able to change that somehow, they're going to be impossible to remotely hack into. They could possibly be cracked with physical access though.

So yeah, to summarize, it has been impossible to remotely hack a hardware wallet thus far, but that can change at any point in the future. They're one of the safest ways to store your crypto, but always keep in mind that you should never be storing all your eggs in one basket.

I agree, this is why continuous test are being made are forced to exploit vulnerabilities in such hardware. Through this they occasionally implement updates. So I suggest to keep the firmware updated from the manufacturer itself.
sneeze11

Activity: 347
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 12:20:03 PM

The software wallet is connected to an internet,so when it is connected to internet the wallet can be hacked.Like software wallet is hardware wallet can be hacked?Is it possible to hack?Is hardware wallet completely offline?

I think yes hardware wallet can also be hacked even if it is offline wallet. Just like what other said it can be hacked if you leave it in somewhere and specially if they know that there's a wallet. Hardware wallet need a full attention because it can get anytime anywhere.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2954
Merit: 598

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 12:22:43 PM

So I suggest to keep the firmware updated from the manufacturer itself.
That's right that's why every time there's a firmware update, I'm not making myself late on it.

Every points IMO has been given by jseverson about hardware wallets vulnerabilities and strengths.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
BitGuyver

Activity: 127
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2018, 12:43:33 PM

The hardware (cold) purse provides 99,9% protection, because when carrying out transactions, you do not have to light the key. The device first generates a new key that is not stored on the computer or one of the cloud services. And all information is stored only in the protected chip of the purse.
When making a payment, an operation is signed inside the chip, and the keys are not transferred to the stationary device even when the system is connected to the Internet. To confirm the transaction, use buttons on the cold wallet.
Crypto currency in the hardware purse is also protected by a pin code. Even with the loss or theft of the device, thieves will not be able to use the wallet without a PIN code

Mining & Traiding
IndigoRed

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 02:31:18 AM

Yes, Ledger confirmed that its wallets have a flaw that makes them “susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks.” And a couple of weeks ago, there were reports that Ledger hardware wallets allowed for the possibility of being infected with a malware designed to trick its owner to into unknowingly sending cryptocurrency to hackers. Be careful!

gesdan

Activity: 616

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 02:38:17 AM

i don't know about it but i think hardware wallet can be hacked because as we know that all things in the world have a weakness also about the hardware wallet, we know that right now hardware wallet is secured by password but i think that maybe there are bug on that password code and the hacker can open the wallet and send transactions from that wallet

juiceannabel

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 04:45:18 AM

The software wallet is connected to an internet,so when it is connected to internet the wallet can be hacked.Like software wallet is hardware wallet can be hacked?Is it possible to hack?Is hardware wallet completely offline?

No, the possible thing happened is if you exposed your hard wallet private key, you can be hacked because of it. Just careful for many phishing site.
The other thing is, there are many shady hard wallet sellers that sell the hard wallet with seed word on their possession.
Silent26

Activity: 602
Merit: 326

Politeness: 1227: - 0 / +1

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 05:02:06 AM

Hardware wallets are seriously secured. I've never seen any cases that their Hardware wallets has been hacked. The only way hackers can hack your Hardware wallet is when they got your private keys which depends on how you took care of 'em. But as long as you can keep your private key safe, there's nothing to worry about.

Being a victim of hackers doesn't mean that these hackers are computer geniuses and can do everything remotely, sometimes it only depends on how we take care of our important files, passwords and informations because they are just looking for their target's weakness before they attack.

Example.
If you are just too careless about your password. Then expect that someone has already got it.

404 Not Found
vonnyaries

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 05:16:06 AM

as long your hardware walelt is not connected into a computer or connected into internet i think your wallet will secure and you should remember about the password, its is the purpose of hardware wallet, to protect people to hack wallet via computer or online network

PTON PRE-SALE Live    █████████████     FORESTING     █████████████   PARTICIPATE NOW!
  █████ next-generation social media service based on blockchain technology   ██████
██ █  Twitter ● Facebook ● Youtube ● Telegram [EN] ● Telegram [KOR] ● Medium  █ ██ █ 
Romeotom

Activity: 811
Merit: 20

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 05:19:27 AM

I think not possible to hacked hardware wallet. Because Hardware wallets are offline in a sense. So hacker never attack your private keys in your wallet. Hardware wallet like to safety your money. Actually hacker can be hacked your online wallet,it is know him..

Turkish88

Activity: 714
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 05:20:33 AM

Any protection can be hacked.
Human develop lock - human develop key/
Best thing keep your keys with you and dont believe to 3rd pparty

Help to Ukrainian citizens
ETH donations adress - 0xe23CB47AC32F0b8750d4D0Dd4e160Fa6F8fF30EF
adamlillian

Activity: 459
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 05:22:39 AM

Hacking wallet is what happens frequently in the Crypto market. The security of electronic wallets is very poor, hackers are very intrusive and steal your money.
If you like crypto and want to invest in it long term, I think you should buy a cold wallet. Ledger Nano S will be the top choice because its security is the best I ever knew. Hackers can not get into it because when you do the transaction, your wallet will be offline and safe. Wink

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
strip66

Activity: 26

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 05:27:00 AM

For the offline wallet we take the example of Ledger Nano.
Ledger Nano is a smartcard-based hardware wallet. A private key is created and signed offline in a smartcard secure environment. Nano is set up using the Chrome Ledger App. A 24-word random seed is generated during offline setup and support by writing it on a sheet of paper. In the event of theft, damage or loss, the entire wallet can be recreated with the seed. A user of the selected PIN code is also assigned to the device to protect against physical theft or hacking.
iram3130
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1010

ITSMYNE 🚀 Talk NFTs, Trade NFTs 🚀

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 05:34:00 AM

I dont think there was even one instance of hardware wallet getting hacked remotely. To pass a trezor transaction, you need to check the address of the receiver on trezor screen and confirm it. So its impossible with the technology there is right now to hack it remotely.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2018, 09:02:16 AM

Ledger Nano is a smartcard-based hardware wallet. A private key is created and signed offline in a smartcard secure environment.

The ledger nano (HW.1) was based on a smartcard (ST23YT66) with USB support.
However, it is not being maintained or (officially) sold anymore.

Their maintained product, the ledger nano s, is based on the ST31H320 Secure element, which does differ entirely from the HW.1 architecture.
This secure element doesn't even support USB/Displays. Thats the reason ledger uses a second microcontroller (STM32F042K6).
This was the attack surface used by Saleem Rashid when finding a vulnerability in their architecture.

ALI AKBAR

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 02:41:41 PM

I think the hardware wallet's ID hacking is no t an easy thing to do. bitcoin wallet many ways overcome it like a password with the verification  cide of the phone number. It is very powerful that there is no chance of hacking. This is not an Internet connection that is safe from your Bitcoin moneybag.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: