Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:23:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: compression not a waste of money  (Read 804 times)
yogi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 11:55:02 PM

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, someone may even have already suggested it, but...

As bitcoin grows and more transactions take place, anyone running the bitcoin client will start having there resources monopolized. They will then stop using the client and the number of nodes will diminish leaving the network vulnerably to bot attacks.

So my suggestion is, create a version of bitcoin that rewards people with coins for solving compression problems which would make the network more scalable. Compressed data would consume less bandwidth and less HDD space.

Also the electric used to mine would be spent on something useful.

What do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kansattica

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Don't get eaten by wolves!

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2011, 06:54:53 PM

Mining is already s something useful: Maintaining the block chain. If you make the miners work toward something else, then Bitcoin is kinda boned.

Shocking, obligatory charity code:
1Gimmiec4KSrcKR3t6xoReJd4rNGt8zM58

Free BTC every hour:
http://mycryptcoin.com/?rid=1CccBJE7BCTJEvRN9Uxfgwbr11fSaUvjFe

And why not free Bitcoins?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83057

Great (read: best) old computer games for BTC:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85347.0
MadHacker

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 07:55:36 PM

If you want to save on harddrive space you could always compress the directory that holds the block chain data.
myself I'm not worried about bandwidth...
If i nuke all my data except for my wallet.dat file then it only takes about 1/2 hour to re enumerate all the confirmations (had to do that a few weeks back)
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 08:00:46 PM

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, someone may even have already suggested it, but...

As bitcoin grows and more transactions take place, anyone running the bitcoin client will start having there resources monopolized. They will then stop using the client and the number of nodes will diminish leaving the network vulnerably to bot attacks.

So my suggestion is, create a version of bitcoin that rewards people with coins for solving compression problems which would make the network more scalable. Compressed data would consume less bandwidth and less HDD space.

Also the electric used to mine would be spent on something useful.

What do you think?

Much of the block chain is random numbers and outputs from cryptographic functions.  Both of these are very high entropy data and don't compress very well.  I just ran bzip -9 on my blk0001.dat and I got 21.36% savings (606,522,351 bytes -> 476,975,806 bytes).

For comparison, a recent test showed that pruning could reduce the block database by over 70%.

The bigger problem is that no reversible compression systems that would meet our needs as a security function.  Hashing was picked because it has a whole bunch of desirable properties, like the avalanche effect, and that the outputs look very much like random numbers, allowing us to scale the difficulty in a predictable way.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Alex Fenner

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 07:45:53 PM

It would work.
yogi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 12:07:08 PM

Thank you for you answer 'kjj', while I believe it would be possible to create a compression mechanism with all the required properties I think the added complexities would not be worth the gain in data size.

I have seen an idea called HubCoin which may provide a solution to the scaling problem.

It would be interesting to know how much resources the users of the network are prepared to donate in order to predict its tolerance.

My resources are limited, and so I will switch the client off when it exceeds:-

2gb bandwidth per month (my ISP limits me to 10gb a month)
0.5ghz cpu (i only have 2.5ghz)
50gb hdd

Maybe this would be worth a poll on a separate thread with the aim a generating a network tolerance graph?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: