Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 09:53:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How about we steer the value of a Bitcoin?  (Read 2414 times)
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:48:01 PM

This just isn't practical and won't work. Maybe there is some point that you are trying to make by this suggestion, maybe you are trolling, or maybe we're giving you too much credit lol.

Unfortunately for this concept there are many more people in the market, and they will collectively, through speculation (and manipulation) drive the price of Bitcoin within the short-term. Over the longer term it is Bitcoin's public and commercial adoption that will drive its price, in value.

That's not true. Price of a currency is always driven in short term that eventualy will be reflected in the long term. Public adoption has nothing to do with it. Why do people buy Yen for $ for example if they live in USA and there is no market adoption for Yen in USA? By buyng Yen for $ they increase the price of a Yen and decrease the value of a $ in short term transactions. If they bought for example half of total Yen supply for a $, that would skyrocket JPY/USD price.

So everything is about the VOLUME, not the amount of transactions.

What if I say "sell my bitcoin for $10000", and someone reply me in the next post saying "buy your bitcoin for $10000"...and we will repeat it again and again in this thread....

OP, would you spend $10000 for 1 bitcoin then?
R3qUi3M (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:05:08 PM

This just isn't practical and won't work. Maybe there is some point that you are trying to make by this suggestion, maybe you are trolling, or maybe we're giving you too much credit lol.

Unfortunately for this concept there are many more people in the market, and they will collectively, through speculation (and manipulation) drive the price of Bitcoin within the short-term. Over the longer term it is Bitcoin's public and commercial adoption that will drive its price, in value.

That's not true. Price of a currency is always driven in short term that eventualy will be reflected in the long term. Public adoption has nothing to do with it. Why do people buy Yen for $ for example if they live in USA and there is no market adoption for Yen in USA? By buyng Yen for $ they increase the price of a Yen and decrease the value of a $ in short term transactions. If they bought for example half of total Yen supply for a $, that would skyrocket JPY/USD price.

What if I say "sell my bitcoin for $10000", and someone reply me in the next post saying "buy your bitcoin for $10000"...and we will repeat it again and again in this thread....

OP, would you spend $10000 for 1 bitcoin then?

Sure just show me the non-provisional trade platform so we can make the deal. And show me how many people are trading on that platform... its meaningless if we trade between each other in secrecy. That would need to happen on the living market so all other traders there could se how expensive is to buy 1BTC Smiley Now you get the point?
R0yalAir

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:26:09 AM

Bitcoin is just the beginning !
the value of a BTC will raise up once the recognition by merchants

Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 03:39:26 PM

We're not talking about established currencies though, are we? We're talking about a cryptocoin trying to change the way in which we transact. If you want to drive the price up then you need adoption in the longer term, whether that is established within a niche or wider scale.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:10:48 AM

Mt.Gox has been doing this for years.  Grin

Mark explaining his method for steering the value of all Bitcoins?

twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:39:34 AM

They do this w penny stocks all the time.   It wouldn't surprise me if MtGox did this to lure in bagholders. Since BTC exchanges aren't regulated by SEC and you can be somewhat anonymous. Why not? Good scam
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: