Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:29:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Story of the Firsts - The events which triggered everything  (Read 353 times)
Heisenberg_Hunter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2018, 04:52:31 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2018, 06:44:13 PM by Heisenberg_Hunter
Merited by dbshck (6), hugeblack (2), DdmrDdmr (2), vapourminer (1), HI-TEC99 (1), mk4 (1), TheBeardedBaby (1), digaran (1), xtraelv (1), Alex_Sr (1), theyoungmillionaire (1)

Beginnings always make history, as we all know. In every field of life, the position of ‘the first’, is hallowed. Time has given an ever permanent throne to the first, it never changes. Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are growing at a rapid phase in the world economy. It all started on the evening of August 2008 when Wei Dai received an email from an unknown mysterious guy named satoshi. Bitcointalk has largely grown over the past few years and there are some considerable changes and events taking place all over the years in this forum and the crypto space. I decided to share with you some interesting first events which I found :

Yo, who wants to advertise in my signature space? I have insane posting rate, and I am the top forum poster. You guys got 7 days when this thread post was made to become the highest bidder and my new customer for one long month.

So how about it?

Bid: 5 BTC. Vladmir.

Bitcointalk is famous for signature campaigns and the marketing taking place all around the forum. The idea of renting out the signature space and marketing for earning few btc started back in 2010. These events are worth noting which lead to the insane amount of spam which are currently getting generated in this forum. I can’t find a thread older than this which relates to the renting of signature spaces. There may be an older thread, if you find please mention in the comment and I would update them. I even found a thread which may be the first signature campaign to be organized in the forum where the user paid 0.1 BTC for the people who changes their signature to advertise the OP's site.

Quote from: theymos
Teppy wins this week. Auction for next week:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=46492.0

If you have ever visited Auctions board, the one which you frequently see is the “Advertise on this forum” topic which is created by theymos weekly. There were around 246 rounds till now and it increases as weeks passes by. For a fee of 0.02-0.05 btc, ads are getting displayed beneath the first post of every topic page. But during the early days of the forum this price was 50 BTC and the first auction was won by user teppy.

I propose that we adopt the Thai baht currency symbol, ฿, as the official bitcoin currency symbol and BTC as the official bitcoin three letter currency code.

Bitcoin in its early days was never called as BTC in short. Rather it was called as BC. User NewLibertyStandard was the one to propose a symbol for bitcoin and the one to call bitcoin as BTC. Similarly, NewLibertyStandard has been a notable member in the community for creating the now defunct second bitcoin exchange.

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
For my first Bitcoin coding project, I decided to do something that sounds really dumb:  I created a web site that gives away Bitcoins.   It is at: https://freebitcoins.appspot.com/

Five ฿ per customer, first come first served, I've stocked it with ฿1,100 to start.  I'll add more once I'm sure it is working properly.

Why?  Because I want the Bitcoin project to succeed, and I think it is more likely to be a success if people can get a handful of coins to try it out.  It can be frustrating to wait until your node generates some coins (and that will get more frustrating in the future), and buying Bitcoins is still a little bit clunky.

Please try it out and get some free coins, even if you already have more Bitcoins than you know what to do with.  You can get some and then donate them right back; the address is: 15VjRaDX9zpbA8LVnbrCAFzrVzN7ixHNsC

Most of the members would have started their journey in crypto space by earning their first satoshi/bitcoin from a bitcoin faucet. Do you know that the first faucet was created by Gavin Andresen? The faucet claim was 5 BTC/ IP address. The site : https://freebitcoins.appspot.com/ is no longer reachable.

But I have found an archived version of the faucet here : http://web.archive.org/web/20100703032414/http://freebitcoins.appspot.com/  And to the surprise a forum member donated 1000 BTC for the faucet. Here is the blockchain transaction for the donation : https://blockchain.info/tx/149a3cab1d8ddcae55f472eb0ad2d10cd17650bc1480e266ff18de4bb31a1525

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Namecoin is a naming system based on bitcoin with a few modifications.  It is inspired by the bitdns discussion and recent failures of the DNS.

The quick facts:

* This is a new blockchain, separate from the main Bitcoin chain
* Name/value pairs are stored in the blockchain attached to coins
* Names are acquired through new transaction types - new, first-update and update
* Names expire after 12000 blocks unless renewed with an update
* No two unexpired names can be identical
* Block validation is extended to reject transactions that do not follow the above rules
* The code is here: https://github.com/vinced/namecoin

Initially, two name spaces are defined - DNS and personal.  The DNS name space is targetted towards a new distributed TLD, possibly .bit.

Apart from bitcoin, alternate cryptocurrencies are growing at an enormous rate. The first alternate cryptocurrency to be developed was Namecoin by vinced (Vincent Durham). vinced creation of the first alternate cryptocurrency was based on satoshi’s idea. The discussion on creating an individual blockchain or a bitcoin clone was started here

Satoshi's idea

seems that the miner would have to basically do "extra work". and if there's no reward from the bitdns mining from the extra work (which of course, slows down the main bitcoin work), what would be a miner's incentive to include bitdns (and whatever other side chains) ?
The incentive is to get the rewards from the extra side chains also for the same work.

While you are generating bitcoins, why not also get free domain names for the same work?

If you currently generate 50 BTC per week, now you could get 50 BTC and some domain names too.

You have one piece of work.  If you solve it, it will solve a block from both Bitcoin and BitDNS.  In concept, they're tied together by a Merkle Tree.  To hand it in to Bitcoin, you break off the BitDNS branch, and to hand it in to BitDNS, you break off the Bitcoin branch.

In practice, to retrofit it for Bitcoin, the BitDNS side would have to have maybe ~200 extra bytes, but that's not a big deal.  You've been talking about 50 domains per block, which would dwarf that little 200 bytes per block for backward compatibility.  We could potentially schedule a far in future block when Bitcoin would upgrade to a modernised arrangement with the Merkle Tree on top, if we care enough about saving a few bytes.

Note that the chains are below this new Merkle Tree.  That is, each of Bitcoin and BitDNS have their own chain links inside their blocks.  This is inverted from the common timestamp server arrangement, where the chain is on top and then the Merkle Tree, because that creates one common master chain.  This is two timestamp servers not sharing a chain.

Hi, there is a new exchange service for Bitcoins.
It's called "BTC 2 PSC" and you can trade Bitcoins for Paysafecard codes there.
Until now, you can only receive € codes and I don't know if you can use them beyond the European Union.

http://btc2psc.bt.funpic.org/index.php

Edit: service is down...

Bitcoins were first exchanged for Paysafecard codes before they were traded for Fiat money. Bitcoin→Fiat exchange was first introduced by dwdollar and was named as bitcoinmarket.com. There are chances that dwdollar’s account may have been hacked recently in 2017 (due to the long time inactivity)

I have mentioned bitcoin as Electronic Cash since satoshi named it in his first mail and the source code was from November 16,2008. The current blockchain began only during January,2009. Interestingly, the source code had only main.h, main.cpp, node.h, node.cpp. There were no script.cpp ,the code was broken and consisted of errors.

I recently found the 0.1 source code on one of my computers. I can send it if you want it, but I'm pretty severely disabled these days, so it may take me a while to respond.

A cryptocurrency is incomplete without its wallet. The first Bitcoin(0.1) wallet software from February 2009 was the wallet where the first coins were mined. Hal and very few guys had the wallet apart from satoshi and he was the one who shared with us the wallet files.

The first trades for goods and/or services were not the now infamous Pizzas! I remember buying US postage stamps from NewLibertyStandard before Laszlo posted the Pizza trade. I suspect that other trades also took place before that time, they were just not made publicly.

Do you think Laszlo was the first person to buy goods with bitcoins? There were undocumented transactions which took place before the now famous pizza transaction. US Postage Stamps were bought for Bitcoins and the transactions took place between NewLibertyStandard and BitcoinFX.

First Documented Mail from satoshi

Quote from: satoshi
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 4:38 PM
To: "Wei Dai" <weidai@ibiblio.org>
Cc: "Satoshi Nakamoto" <satoshi@anonymousspeech.com>
Subject: Citation of your b-money page

I was very interested to read your b-money page.  I'm getting ready to
release a paper that expands on your ideas into a complete working system.
Adam Back (hashcash.org) noticed the similarities and pointed me to your
site.

I need to find out the year of publication of your b-money page for the
citation in my paper.  It'll look like:
[1] W. Dai, "b-money," http://www.weidai.com/bmoney.txt, (2006?).

You can download a pre-release draft at
http://www.upload.ae/file/6157/ecash-pdf.html  Feel free to forward it to
anyone else you think would be interested.

Title: Electronic Cash Without a Trusted Third Party

Abstract: A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow
online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without the
burdens of going through a financial institution.  Digital signatures
offer part of the solution, but the main benefits are lost if a trusted
party is still required to prevent double-spending.  We propose a solution
to the double-spending problem using a peer-to-peer network.  The network
timestamps transactions by hashing them into an ongoing chain of
hash-based proof-of-work, forming a record that cannot be changed without
redoing the proof-of-work.  The longest chain not only serves as proof of
the sequence of events witnessed, but proof that it came from the largest
pool of CPU power.  As long as honest nodes control the most CPU power on
the network, they can generate the longest chain and outpace any
attackers.  The network itself requires minimal structure.  Messages are
broadcasted on a best effort basis, and nodes can leave and rejoin the
network at will, accepting the longest proof-of-work chain as proof of
what happened while they were gone.

Satoshi

Wei Dai, a computer engineer and the creator of B-money received an email from a mysterious guy named satoshi on August 22,2008 citing that he has expanded the ideas of Wei Dai’s B-money . Though satoshi has mailed Adam Back before connecting with Wei, Adam didn’t provide any e-mail conversations for public viewing.

Quote from: theymos
There is way too much traffic in this section for me to handle. I need several moderators for this section. Apply here. Users with high "days online" are likely to be considered.

Moderators of this section will:
- Delete garbage.
- Delete posts that are just for increasing post count.
- Move good topics elsewhere.
- Send me lists of users to whitelist.

Apart from Sirius and theymos there was a need for moderators to clean up the forum from the newbie spams generated. Hence on June 2011, theymos posted a topic for hiring mods. From the post, we can infer that one among the 10 members posted on the thread could have been the first moderators.I am not sure about this anyway!

Does anyone currently offer this service?I am looking to offer this amongst the payment methods for bitcointo.

Escrow services are quite popular in this forum nowadays due to the increasing rate of scams. Do you know the first Escrow Service was provided on July 2010? theymos even commented on the topic that he would provide the service.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3042

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2018, 04:53:33 PM

Does this belong in Meta?  I would probably have merited it if it wasn't in this section.  :/

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2018, 05:02:21 PM

Does this belong in Meta?  I would probably have merited it if it wasn't in this section.  :/

It deserves sM anyway Smiley
Personally I will ask the same question, beginners and help board or maybe in Bitcoin discussion?
Thanks @Heisenberg_Hunter

Edit : you can move your topic by clicking in "move topic" in the bottom - left corner.

Meta is a place for discussion about this forum
Not for discussing every post made in this forum. It isn't the point of having this sub which many people even high ranked users fall in it.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
Heisenberg_Hunter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2018, 03:39:03 PM

Personally I will ask the same question, beginners and help board or maybe in Bitcoin discussion?
As I can't find a better board than this (Serious Discussion) for this topic, moved this topic! Would be updating some more early events which took place in crypto history!
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 10:25:19 AM
Merited by paxmao (1)

Thank you for alerting me to your thread. You may want to change the link to the first advertising https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=46025.0 (Yours is showing the second auction)

Looking at Teppy's posts I found this one interesting too https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=142.0

apperantly the mysql problem got fixed

It appears this exchange wasn't operational for some time. Maybe some of the legends on here that were around for it can shed some light on it.

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: