Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:42:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is locked in Mt. Gox. At what point should I give up?  (Read 986 times)
Plecto (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:09:53 AM

So it's been more than two months since I foolishly sent some bitcoins to Mt Gox. I quickly discovered that I needed to "verify" my account to be able to transfer them back. I reluctantly uploaded a picture of my drivers license and an old bill. After about three weeks they denied my application. As I don't really have any other bills to send I ordered an officially stamped proof of residency from the government of Norway and uploaded that as soon as I got it. Another month went by before they to my big surprise managed to deny that one as well. They are not answering my support e-mails and it takes them several weeks to actually take a look at my attempts to verify my account. I'm completely dumbstruck by this, how is it possible that one of the biggest exchanges in the world can treat me this way? At what point should I just give up?

Another issue that I've been having is that I can no longer log in to my mt gox account. It seems that the login button isn't functioning anymore, absolutely nothing happen when I click it. I've tried it on two computers and two different browsers. I'm in desperate need of some aid here Sad 
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:01:10 AM

Tell them you will call the authorities or contact a newspaper agency. That would put them into gear asap.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:18:07 AM

Tell them you will call the authorities or contact a newspaper agency. That would put them into gear asap.

That won't matter

1) they aren't doing anything illegal

2) everyone is already fully aware that trying to get fiat out of mtgox is a pain in the ass and in many cases takes months on end.  This is a big reason why the value of bitcoin is so much higher on gox than it is any other exchange, people arent pulling out their bitcoins (because they cant!)

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:21:11 AM

So it's been more than two months since I foolishly sent some bitcoins to Mt Gox. I quickly discovered that I needed to "verify" my account to be able to transfer them back. I reluctantly uploaded a picture of my drivers license and an old bill. After about three weeks they denied my application. As I don't really have any other bills to send I ordered an officially stamped proof of residency from the government of Norway and uploaded that as soon as I got it. Another month went by before they to my big surprise managed to deny that one as well. They are not answering my support e-mails and it takes them several weeks to actually take a look at my attempts to verify my account. I'm completely dumbstruck by this, how is it possible that one of the biggest exchanges in the world can treat me this way? At what point should I just give up?

Another issue that I've been having is that I can no longer log in to my mt gox account. It seems that the login button isn't functioning anymore, absolutely nothing happen when I click it. I've tried it on two computers and two different browsers. I'm in desperate need of some aid here Sad 

This is very common with gox... very very common. I left gox months ago and moved over to another exchange for the same reasons. No responses to my emails, if they did it usually took a few weeks. Multiple denials of my verification with no explanation as to why or how to fix it. And then of course when I finally did get verified, I was sitting around for well over a month waiting for my money to show up.

My best advice to you is to transfer the BITCOINS out of gox and find another exchange and or person who will convert it to fiat.  If you can't find an exchange you can always move the bitcoins to your personal wallet and then try selling them on localbitcoins.

Best of luck

WorldCoiner

Activity: 1069
Merit: 682

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 09:14:55 AM

I agree. You should move out the BTC there and try to find a other solution.
Plecto (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:16:35 AM

That's the idea, but I can't move my bitcoins unless my account gets verified Sad I have to give this verification another go, but I have no idea of what kind of "proof of residency" they actually require Sad As I said, I live with my parents so I have no bills that are in my name.
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:48:42 AM

That's the idea, but I can't move my bitcoins unless my account gets verified Sad I have to give this verification another go, but I have no idea of what kind of "proof of residency" they actually require Sad As I said, I live with my parents so I have no bills that are in my name.

They are requiring verification for bitcoin withdrawals as well now ?   It use to just be cash withdrawals, but you could still move bitcoins around to other wallets.  Ouch, that sucks if they require verification to move bitcoins to another wallet as well.

Plecto (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:34:49 PM

Yeah they do. Mt Gox has held my bitcoins captive for two months now, I'm just extremely glad that the bitcoin value has kept rising and that I don't have acute need for them. Imagine if a real bank would do that to our money, it would be far from acceptable.
Plecto (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 08:38:25 AM

Alright, so they finally gave me a response to my support tickets. They told me to give them a screenshot of the error message I receive when I try to login even though I explicitly said that "nothing happens when I click the login button", there is no error message.

About the account verification. They failed to give me a reason of why my formally stamped proof of residency specially ordered from the government of Norway isn't "good enough" for them. They then told me "We request you to submit the complete online statement of the mobile bill.as screenshots wont be accepted". I can view my online phone bill, but there is no way to give this to mt gox without making a screen shot, there is no export button or anything of that sort.

There has to be someone here that has successfully verified their account at mt. gox? I would like to know the secret to making this happen Sad
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:03:01 AM

hi, i'm in a very similar situation

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=422386.new#new

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
gripflierGO

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:25:33 AM

About the account verification. They failed to give me a reason of why my formally stamped proof of residency specially ordered from the government of Norway isn't "good enough" for them. They then told me "We request you to submit the complete online statement of the mobile bill.as screenshots wont be accepted". I can view my online phone bill, but there is no way to give this to mt gox without making a screen shot, there is no export button or anything of that sort.

Try go to mobile operator center and request last mobile bill in paper format, stamped. Scan it and send it to MtGox
chocomav

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 04:28:16 PM

You can use your iphone (or hi-res digital camera) to take hi-res photo of the entire bill (all pages) and email it as attachment to Mt.Gox.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 04:32:20 PM

How many btc do you have in mtgox?
oxfardk

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:05:39 AM

Plecto try to send your documents directly by postal address

MegaHustlr

Activity: 601
Merit: 500

Vote 4fryn :)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:03:08 PM

Try to sell them on gox and transfer out usd? Or just get in touch with the support team

▄  ▀▄▄   ▀▄▄ ▀▄ ▀▄
             ▀█▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████ ▄
         ▀████▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀███▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▀      ██▀▀     ▄██▀▀▀   █     ██
██    ▀█  ▄█▀▀▀▄  ▀█   ▄█▀   ▄▄▄ ▀██  █▀▀▄▀▄

▀▀▀   ▐█ █▌    ▐▌  █  ▐█ ▄█▀▀   █ █  ▄▀ ▄█ ▌
      ▐▌ ▀█ ▄▀▄█  █▀  █  █      ▐▌ █▀ █    ▀▄
      █     ▄█▀  ▀▀▀▀▄█  ▀█▄▄▀ ▄▀  █▄ █  ██ ▐▌
     █   ▄███▄▄███▄▄▄▄       ▄█▄▄▄▄ █▄    ▀  █ ▄
   ▄█▀▀▀▀     █▀      █   ▄█▀▀███    ▀▀▄▄   ▄██
  ▐█         ▐▌       ▐▌▄▀     ██        ▀███ ▐█
  █           ▀▄      ▐█▀       ▀█           ▀▀
  █▄           ██     ██         ██▄
   █▀            ▀     ▀          ▀█▀

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄██▄▄                ▄▄██▄
  ████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████▌
█████▀                  ▀█████▌
████    ███▄      ▄███    ████▌
████   ▐████      ████▌   ████
 ███    ▀██▀      ▀██▀    ███▀
  ▀██▄                  ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████████████████▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:18:03 PM

Try to sell them on gox and transfer out usd? Or just get in touch with the support team

Nah...it won't work.

You need to verified yourself for both fiat withdrawal and btc withdrawal.
And, the support will just repeat the BS again and again...KYC, AML, blah blah blah....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: