Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:57:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scrypt ASICs?  (Read 2007 times)
Proteus123 (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:19:22 PM

I've seen a couple of sites claiming to have pre-order Scrypt ASICs but is there any concrete evidence that they exist?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Starscream

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:20:11 PM

I've seen a couple of sites claiming to have pre-order Scrypt ASICs but is there any concrete evidence that they exist?
No.

And by "a couple of sites" you mean Alpha-T? I'd bet good money that they are a scam.
stacksmasher

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:58:16 PM

Nope they are real. People in the forum have them and are running test right now. Lets face it.... it will be the same cycle as Bitcoin... first CPU, then GPU then FPGA then ASIC's. SCRYPT will follow the same exact pattern.

I would say its almost to late to invest a large amount of capitol in GPU as everyone now will switch over to ASIC's.
cozk

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:25:26 PM

Nope they are real. People in the forum have them and are running test right now. Lets face it.... it will be the same cycle as Bitcoin... first CPU, then GPU then FPGA then ASIC's. SCRYPT will follow the same exact pattern.

I would say its almost to late to invest a large amount of capitol in GPU as everyone now will switch over to ASIC's.

What the hell...

Alpha T is the most obvious scam around.
Starscream

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:11:12 PM

There's no ASIC for scrypt. Period. The hybrid that is being sold is hardly ASIC, in fact, I bet its Scrypt mining part is not ASIC but a regular GPU chip with a few tweaks, especially when you look at its KH/s and the price tag it's coming with.

300 KH/s is very laughable.
JaxonBTC

Activity: 39

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:20:07 PM

There's no ASIC for scrypt. Period. The hybrid that is being sold is hardly ASIC, in fact, I bet its Scrypt mining part is not ASIC but a regular GPU chip with a few tweaks, especially when you look at its KH/s and the price tag it's coming with.

You're referring to these, right?   www.dualminer.com
They're interesting, I'll give them that.  They're available but still seem way to pricey for the output.  ROI is too far out.  The only appealing aspect is the power consumption.  Then again, we've seen how the Bitcoin block erupter USB's became obsolete so you know it's going to happen to these as well and they won't have a resell value like a gaming GPU.  There will need to be a price drop/output increase for these to catch on at this point in the game.
Starscream

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:57:09 PM

You're referring to these, right?   www.dualminer.com
They're interesting, I'll give them that.  They're available but still seem way to pricey for the output.  ROI is too far out.  The only appealing aspect is the power consumption.  Then again, we've seen how the Bitcoin block erupter USB's became obsolete so you know it's going to happen to these as well and they won't have a resell value like a gaming GPU.  There will need to be a price drop/output increase for these to catch on at this point in the game.

I had these in mind when I was writing the reply: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421921.0
But what you linked is just as a bad, a bit better on the power consumption I guess, but still, 100 bucks for 40KH/s....
krodmandoon

Activity: 434
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:04:44 PM

You're referring to these, right?   www.dualminer.com
They're interesting, I'll give them that.  They're available but still seem way to pricey for the output.  ROI is too far out.  The only appealing aspect is the power consumption.  Then again, we've seen how the Bitcoin block erupter USB's became obsolete so you know it's going to happen to these as well and they won't have a resell value like a gaming GPU.  There will need to be a price drop/output increase for these to catch on at this point in the game.

I had these in mind when I was writing the reply: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421921.0
But what you linked is just as a bad, a bit better on the power consumption I guess, but still, 100 bucks for 40KH/s....

got mine at BTC.107 per and they run at 70khs. Also they hash out in BTC only mode as fast as an antminer U1. For four of these it is cheaper than building a whole rig. And it is portable and way cheaper on power. When the price comes down, and it will, those who went all in on GPU for scrypt will be wondering what happened. These will eventually cause difficulty to skyrocket and a new algorithm will need to be developed, sound familiar?

Starscream

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:03:57 AM

You're referring to these, right?   www.dualminer.com
They're interesting, I'll give them that.  They're available but still seem way to pricey for the output.  ROI is too far out.  The only appealing aspect is the power consumption.  Then again, we've seen how the Bitcoin block erupter USB's became obsolete so you know it's going to happen to these as well and they won't have a resell value like a gaming GPU.  There will need to be a price drop/output increase for these to catch on at this point in the game.

got mine at BTC.107 per and they run at 70khs. Also they hash out in BTC only mode as fast as an antminer U1. For four of these it is cheaper than building a whole rig. And it is portable and way cheaper on power. When the price comes down, and it will, those who went all in on GPU for scrypt will be wondering what happened. These will eventually cause difficulty to skyrocket and a new algorithm will need to be developed, sound familiar?

A small rig that will equal your hashrate than maybe you're right, but bigger rigs will overshadow the price of the mb, cpu, ram, case, etc (except psu), because than the price of the GPU will be the main expense.

Now, with your 4 hybrids, you do 280KH/s which equate to one HD 6850 card, which you can get for 100 bucks.

With my electricity bill, if I'd build my rigs hashrate using those hybrid usb stick, I'd need to wait an extra 2 months to see ROI, even with the cheaper electricity bill, and that's a lot in mining term.

Right now, those hybrids ain't worth it unless electricity is really, really expensive where you live.

Not sure what your comment was all about anyway, so you bought a mining item, with long time to see ROI because you wanted to jump the ASIC bandwagon?
medialab101

Activity: 583

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:09:08 AM

What the hell...

I've ben following it for the past 2 months. Alpha-t seems legit.
krodmandoon

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:22:34 AM

Over time electricity is the main expense, that is just a fact.

I am all but done with purchasing mining equipment that is not being designed to mine, also I don't spend fiat on mining equipment anymore. These were essentially free minus my initial hardware expenses 10 months ago and electricity. And an HD 6850 is still horribly inneficient as far as khs/kwh

Everything is more expensive in Cali near the beach. Also have mouths to feed.

I bought a mining item that costs less to operate and is at least 300x more efficient than my first rig. Denial is a tough pill to swallow, the btc guys had to do it when ASIC was developed and so will the alt guys. ASIC is not a bandwagon, it is the future.

That about covers it.

You should read about Moore's law the next time you are thinking about buying your next $800 gpu.

Starscream

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:51:19 AM

Over time electricity is the main expense, that is just a fact.

I am all but done with purchasing mining equipment that is not being designed to mine, also I don't spend fiat on mining equipment anymore. These were essentially free minus my initial hardware expenses 10 months ago and electricity. And an HD 6850 is still horribly inneficient as far as khs/kwh

Everything is more expensive in Cali near the beach. Also have mouths to feed.

I bought a mining item that costs less to operate and is at least 300x more efficient than my first rig. Denial is a tough pill to swallow, the btc guys had to do it when ASIC was developed and so will the alt guys. ASIC is not a bandwagon, it is the future.

That about covers it.

You should read about Moore's law the next time you are thinking about buying your next $800 gpu.

Denial... Future... So that's why you bought 70KH/s for 90 bucks. I see.

If Scrypt does follow the path of BTC, than by the time you see ROI you'll make 0 profit, even with the minimal electricity consumption (same as with todays BE).

And FYI, when ASIC does become avaiable and viable for Scypt, I'll be the first to get it, until than, I don't see the point in getting hybrid ASIC which is gimmicky at best.
induktor

Activity: 710
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:08:00 AM

Keep in mind that, even when asic for scrypt becomes a reality, they will be very expensive and they will use a lot more power than a regular sha256 asic, because of the memory chips, you need a LOT of very very FAST RAM for scrypt, asic or not, and lots of ram means expensive and power hungry.

So, even when they come out to market, the difference between GPU and ASIC will not be as big as it was for SHA256, because for SHA256 a GPU was a total waste, of course they will be more efficient than GPU (probably) but not enough to take them out of the picture like happened in bitcoin, unless memory chips becomes more power efficient and cheaper.

And even then!, new GPUs will go out with those, more power efficient and cheap memory chips, so they will still be in the race, i think.

BTC addr: 1vTGnFgaM2WJjswwmbj6N2AQBWcHfimSc
krodmandoon

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:31:01 AM

Yes, I am in denial.

Again, you reference fiat currency value relative to BTC cost but okay. Because my original hardware has long since made ROI on my initial fiat expense, and I have job where I work, any hardware I buy with cryptos that I mine is in a sense...free minus electricity. I could even argue that when my dualminers hashing power exceeds that of my original rig, it would be more cost effective to run only the dualminers.

btw 7 of these dualminers are more power efficient than the most powerful Nvidia GPU and nearly 400 "bucks" cheaper. Also, they are in stock. I'd say that makes them viable.

stacksmasher

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:45:03 AM

The big SCRYPT ASICS being tested now are 350kh/s for a few hundred. Yes power is the issue. Especially when guys like me are running several. The limit of how much power I can bring into my home is limited. Over a 30 day time period the 900 watts per machine cost in electricity and heat are factors. If I run 400 of the little guys I can manage them....

I can see I'm talking big fish.... and you are all talking little fish ; )
krodmandoon

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:24:12 AM

big fish? that's a whale.

I have a 401k, I mine for beer money.

Also, I haven't been able to find a US distributor for the 5 chip gridseed. There is a group buy but the shipping from Australia is astronomical.

stacksmasher

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:48:49 AM

Yes I have a 401k as well.... but I bet its not going to give me a 3000%+ return like Mining every month ; )

big fish? that's a whale.

I have a 401k, I mine for beer money.

Also, I haven't been able to find a US distributor for the 5 chip gridseed. There is a group buy but the shipping from Australia is astronomical.
drmosh

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 04:50:11 AM

The big SCRYPT ASICS being tested now are 350kh/s for a few hundred. Yes power is the issue. Especially when guys like me are running several. The limit of how much power I can bring into my home is limited. Over a 30 day time period the 900 watts per machine cost in electricity and heat are factors. If I run 400 of the little guys I can manage them....

I can see I'm talking big fish.... and you are all talking little fish ; )

Actually if you live in the US, the power you can bring into your home in certain places is unlimited... you just better have the $$$, you can order 100amp meters all day long...  and throw up breaker panels all over the place... if you are willing to pay for it...

efarah2549

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 05:27:23 AM

The antminer U1 is 1.6Gh/s and OC easily to 2, the dual miner is only advertised at 500Mh/s what are you getting?
anderl

Activity: 714

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:54:00 AM

What the hell...

I've ben following it for the past 2 months. Alpha-t seems legit.

Legit?  Depends.  They are inexperienced and are banking on an untested Indian fabricators they hope will be able to create the chips they want.  On top of that they are going straight to 23nm without vetting their design at larger scales.  I expect that they are going to have a lot of failures and will require additional capital to meet the orders they have.  THey have high hopes but they haven't had their bubble burst yet.  I bet they will not be able to deliver by Q3 and worst case they may not have the capital to keep their orders.  They may go bankrupt.
atc1

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:59:44 AM

The Scrypt ASIC's I've seen have a max hashrate of 300kH/s, I think. Many GPU's offer better hashrates.

krodmandoon

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:09:11 PM

The antminer U1 is 1.6Gh/s and OC easily to 2, the dual miner is only advertised at 500Mh/s what are you getting?

running in BTC only mode it hashes the same as the antminer u1
dual mode is 500Mh/s sha-256 40kh/s scrypt
scrypt only is 70kh/s

nlsupernova

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 09:59:28 PM

The Scrypt ASIC's I've seen have a max hashrate of 300kH/s, I think. Many GPU's offer better hashrates.

these probably are fpga`s

SupercellKid

Activity: 26

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:05:27 PM

Now that prices have come down as low as $120 US for  a single I think I might have a crack, though maybe I should wait, the price seems to be dropping rapidly which either means there is a new line comeing soon or they are going to be useless very quickly as diff goes up
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: