Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:57:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SolidCoin v2.0 features new hashing algorithm, faster on CPUs  (Read 12111 times)
CoinHunter (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 09:30:03 AM

But, I humbly suspect that the idea (and, consequentially, the "proposal") of "CPU-friendly / GPU hostile" mining existed quite since before this thread, however, your seemingly unrivaled ability to catalyze discussion was necessary for issue to gain enough momentum for kind people like ArtForz to pay some attention to it and make a nice reference implementation Smiley

Indeed, it's what I do, get things moving. A question about your previous coin geist geld, is that given up on now? I thought you just made a new website for it and all? What sort of support can we expect going forward for your new coin?

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 09:42:59 AM

[ Indeed, it's what I do, get things moving. A question about your previous coin geist geld, is that given up on now? I thought you just made a new website for it and all? What sort of support can we expect going forward for your new coin?

Actually, it's doing quite fine, thanks for asking. A major update and an interesting Wink development Wink is on its way.

Given that both are essentially community projects, and given that they have vastly different goals and niches, Tenebrix shall in no way subtract from Geist Geld.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
CoinHunter (OP)

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 09:53:50 AM

Actually, it's doing quite fine, thanks for asking. A major update and an interesting Wink development Wink is on its way.

Given that both are essentially community projects, and given that they have vastly different goals and niches, Tenebrix shall in no way subtract from Geist Geld.

LOL ok. I look forward to some new constants you change and package as a new coin. How many premined coins are in Tenebrix btw? 10 million?

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 09:58:30 AM

LOL ok. I look forward to some new constants you change and package as a new coin. How many premined coins are in Tenebrix btw? 10 million?

Why, 2 bilionteen coinsez (warning - a joke Cheesy )

But then again, Tenebrix doesn't expect miners to pay "protection" taxes, which affects budgetary policy a lot Wink

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
Ten98

Activity: 1008

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 01:05:02 PM

But then again, Tenebrix doesn't expect miners to pay "protection" taxes, which affects budgetary policy a lot Wink

Appropriate joke answer from a joke coin maker. Tenebrix is purely a troll against Solidcoin, and nobody's impressed.

You're right to mention the Solidcoin "tax", as it is the one thing that puts it head and shoulders above every other coin (including your shitty ones). We will call it a tax for ease of responding to trolling, but as you know It's not exactly a tax in the classical sense. Miners will still earn 32 coins per block as they always have done. Nothing is deducted, only added. I like to think of it more as a sovereign bond Wink

The fund created by the tax will ensure Solidcoin's future and will hopefully make it into a truly open, self-funded project. The first of its kind in the world.

The only way Bitcoin have to "solve" the funding issue is to put Gavin on the payroll of a privately owned exchange company... Great idea guys. Grin
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 01:47:26 PM

CH, thanks for giving Lolcust the idea.

Now I have a CPU-chain that's solid!

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 02:21:54 PM

... well, SolidCoin got at least one MAJOR idea from GG/Lolcust ...
(which I believe to be the main reason for the existence of SC2.0)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 02:32:22 PM

Appropriate joke answer from a joke coin maker. Tenebrix is purely a troll against Solidcoin, and nobody's impressed.

Y u h8 me ?

Tenebrix and solidcoin are both srs bzns

You're right to mention the Solidcoin "tax", as it is the one thing that puts it head and shoulders above every other coin

Oh well...

We will call it a tax for ease of responding to trolling, but as you know It's not exactly a tax in the classical sense. Miners will still earn 32 coins per block as they always have done. Nothing is deducted, only added.

It's trivial to frame taxes in same way with clever accounting.

In fact, that is exactly what typical sources on tax do, in a roundabout way :-)

I like to think of it more as a sovereign bond Wink

Lol that certainly makes it better.

What next, solidcoin conscription army and solidcoin Lukashenko Wink ?

The fund created by the tax will ensure Solidcoin's future and will hopefully make it into a truly open, self-funded project. The first of its kind in the world.

The only way Bitcoin have to "solve" the funding issue is to put Gavin on the payroll of a privately owned exchange company... Great idea guys. Grin

Actually that was pretty smart of them, IMHO

Feed the Lolcust!
Schwede65

Activity: 309

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 02:55:15 PM

only one point from a "normal" W7-user:

SC2.0 is an outstanding user friendly software:
downloading, installing, hashing and "earning" (testwise)

Tenebrix is just the opposite:
download, read something about installing...
it's like a construction manual from IKEA - sometimes it works...
erase that software is what a "normal" user does...
Ten98

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 03:32:44 PM

We shall see... The company hardly seems reputable or established, and apart from a high margin shopping site and a questionable overpriced way to buy bullion all of their "Killer apps" are "coming soon"... I predict it will fold fairly quickly.
johnj

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 03:46:33 PM

We shall see... The company hardly seems reputable or established, and apart from a high margin shopping site and a questionable overpriced way to buy bullion all of their "Killer apps" are "coming soon"... I predict it will fold fairly quickly.

Are we still talking about TruCoin?  That sounds a lot like SC to me.

*Not reputable
*Not established
*"Coming Soon" all over the place
*Will fold fairly quickly (oh wait it already has)

Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 03:56:03 PM

Actually, I am pretty impressed. And I'm hard to impress. Tenebrix is the first alternative cyptocurrency that I believe has the right mix of innovation, conformity with the safety mechanisms of Bitcoin, and leadership. The future of crypocurrency is bright indeed.

I feel that the Soildcoin developers could get quite close to Tenebrix in version 2, but without that leadership and knowledge, they will inevitably fail.

Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 04:22:01 PM

only one point from a "normal" W7-user:

SC2.0 is an outstanding user friendly software:
downloading, installing, hashing and "earning" (testwise)

Tenebrix is just the opposite:
download, read something about installing...
it's like a construction manual from IKEA - sometimes it works...
erase that software is what a "normal" user does...

Well, Tenebrix was born pretty impulsively out of discussion on IRC.

Having said that, as a windows 7 user to a windows 7 user, which part of the "portable windows bundle" is the most confusing, the mining part ?

It is still a company and not a quasi-State construct fueled by "pseudo-taxes" and existing in a medium that is quite hostile to State-like structures.

Having said that, I am not personally opposed to the Solidcoin experiment, just not optimistic as to eventual fate of quasi-States made from sheer Internet, arcane mathematications, and a very special form of "leadership driven" outlook (I do tend to pull its leg on occasion, but as you might easily observe, I try to remain civil and fairly lighthearted in these exchanges of opinions Smiley )

Actually, I am pretty impressed. And I'm hard to impress. Tenebrix is the first alternative cyptocurrency that I believe has the right mix of innovation, conformity with the safety mechanisms of Bitcoin, and leadership. The future of crypocurrency is bright indeed.

I feel that the Soildcoin developers could get quite close to Tenebrix in version 2, but without that leadership and knowledge, they will inevitably fail.

Excuse me Maged, KGB has seized my hardware sarcasm detector, and software implementation is kinda meh.

Are you being sarcastic ?

Feed the Lolcust!
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 04:28:57 PM

Excuse me Maged, KGB has seized my hardware sarcasm detector, and software implementation is kinda meh.

I am being quite serious. Things are actually getting somewhere now! (without destroying themselves in the process)

TheLaundryMan

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 04:29:16 PM

lol that was the last straw for me. u just derped all over ur own herp and i frankly have had enough of it.

p.s. u call urself someone who can resolve disputes but with with u just said u most certainly don't fit the job as someone who sees all the different sides of the things.

p.s.s. bitcoin devs are pro.
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 04:32:48 PM

I am being quite serious. Things are actually getting somewhere now! (without destroying themselves in the process)

Well, Geist Geld so far has not destroyed itself (despite a turbulent beginning that has lead to discovery of no less than two exploits in "typical bitcoin implementation") and is feeling nice (It would benefit a lot from some more coder love though, as there is an upper limit as to a given graphic designer's C-ing ability)

But I am very pleased with your kind assessment of Tenebrix, thank you.

Feed the Lolcust!
TheLaundryMan

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 02:47:44 PM

lol that was the last straw for me. u just derped all over ur own herp and i frankly have had enough of it.

p.s. u call urself someone who can resolve disputes but with with u just said u most certainly don't fit the job as someone who sees all the different sides of the things.

oh I almost forgot. What about all of their premined 7mill coins in both the chains he released. herpdederp

Tenebrix / gg will die do to those premined coins, whether he claims that they will be used for a money laundering fund or not.
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 03:16:53 PM

oh I almost forgot. What about all of their premined 7mill coins in both the chains he released. herpdederp

Tenebrix / gg will die do to those premined coins, whether he claims that they will be used for a money laundering fund or not.

Yawn.

Issue is settled in a democratic way and a significant portion of fund will be used to feed a Faucet service to alleviate first-adopter issue.

Also, mr. Laundry man, markets deal only with entities involved in economic activity, not entities in existence, so as long as I do not sell off, whether I have a million or a billion coinsez is absolutely irrelevant as far as the overall market behavior is concerned (Unless you believe markets to be optimum-decision magical unicorns, in which case we should see severe price declines in Veblen goods which are subject to strong cartel effects (or perhaps even nonexistence of such a category as Veblen goods altogether). Which we do not see. So much for unicorns Sad )

Besides, at the very least my humble fund was created by my very own electricity, while a certain other coin is intended to give its creator a Superfund of dramatic proportions while not even having him mine a single block Smiley

While the ethics of my design decision are of course open to debate, the alternative design, which you seem to support, is going to be even less fair and far more, might I say, inhumane and bizarre.

Feed the Lolcust!
Ten98

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:04:39 PM

I certainly don't trust Lolcust as far as I can throw him. Pre-mining 7 million coins and keeping them all for himself is an obvious attempt to get rich and get out, much like ixcoin and iocoin were.

"It doesn't affect the economy if I never sell them!!!"

What a joke.
johnj

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:11:19 PM

I certainly don't trust Lolcust as far as I can throw him. Pre-mining 7 million coins and keeping them all for himself is an obvious attempt to get rich and get out, much like ixcoin and iocoin were.

"It doesn't affect the economy if I never sell them!!!"

What a joke.

Whaaa?  I0 coin didn't have any premined mines.

And what's the difference between 1m premined w/tax vs 7m premined w/o tax?  Hell, at least Lolcust did miners the courtesy of getting all his upfront.

Hey I'm even on the fence about the 7m premined thing, but I find it laughable that all the SC supporters are coming out of the woodwork to gnaw at Lolcust.

... I think CH is jealous.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: