Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:34:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A fully decentralised consensus algorithm  (Read 619 times)
wolfewells

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 07:55:31 PM

I was wondering if you've looked into the "Tempo" consensus model? I believe its used by Radix.

heh. zero activity on this account. bolding the words Tempo multiple times. It's pretty obvious you just came to shill in this thread but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I have heard of Radix quite a while ago, but at the time there was very little info about them (they didnt even have a whitepaper if I recall). I'll give this a look though.

My apologies -- I see how that could be viewed as a shill. I just have this habit of bolding the subject matter in my emails. I very recently started looking into various consensus models, so I figured I'd engage in some dialogue here.

And yes, they didn't have a whitepaper until recently, and from what I've heard, there's an economics whitepaper on the way. So it is inconclusive until we have the whole picture. This got me excited 'cause of the the new consensus model, plus it doesn't fall in the whole blockchain spectrum.

If you do end up looking into it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ir.hn

Activity: 322
Merit: 54

Consensus is Constitution

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 06:45:30 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2018, 10:53:59 PM by ir.hn

A truly decentralised consensus mechanism is one where humans perform the PoW. The trouble is, finding a problem that only a human can solve that is also easily verifiable by a machine is unsolved.

The person who solves this problem will be very rich indeed.

Rich like satoshi?  We in the open source world aren't driven by riches.

You posed a great definition of the problem and with such I got inspired with a solution.

I think the answer lies in any algorithmicly unsolved math problem like "travelling salesman" or any other problem that relies on heuristics.  Simple.

https://www.education.com/reference/article/problem-solving-strategies-algorithms/

NP-Complete problems would be the perfect solution you are asking for.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NP-completeness

Travelling salesman may be ideal because humans are good at it.  Bees can also solve it.

"The TSP (traveling salesman problem) in particular the Euclidean variant of the problem, has attracted the attention of researchers in cognitive psychology. It has been observed that humans are able to produce near-optimal solutions quickly, in a close-to-linear fashion, with performance that ranges from 1% less efficient for graphs with 10-20 nodes, and 11% more efficient for graphs with 120 nodes.[47][48] The apparent ease with which humans accurately generate near-optimal solutions to the problem has led researchers to hypothesize that humans use one or more heuristics, with the two most popular theories arguably being the convex-hull hypothesis and the crossing-avoidance heuristic.[49][50][51] However, additional evidence suggests that human performance is quite varied, and individual differences as well as graph geometry appear to impact performance in the task.[52][53][54] Nevertheless, results suggest that computer performance on the TSP may be improved by understanding and emulating the methods used by humans for these problems, and have also led to new insights into the mechanisms of human thought.[55] The first issue of the Journal of Problem Solving was devoted to the topic of human performance on TSP,[56] and a 2011 review listed dozens of papers on the subject.[55]"

ir.hn

Activity: 322
Merit: 54

Consensus is Constitution

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 05:46:12 AM

Please check out my new post. 

I developed a Proof of Human Work system that can be proven to resist computer mining.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4459113.0

tromp
Legendary

Activity: 976
Merit: 1076

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 09:49:42 AM

I developed a Proof of Human Work system that can be proven to resist computer mining.

Too bad it also resists human mining :-(

Challenge: give me one NP complete problem for which we can randomly generate instances of any desired difficulty and which humans can solve better than computers.
lichuan

Activity: 148

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 11:04:39 AM

The consensus of human can not be implemented at present, because the p2p consensus network is made up of many electrical machines, but human is not electrical, so if we want implement human POW consensus in the future, we need change the network communication architecture to human-network first, but How do people communicate with each other without relying on electricity??
lichuan

Activity: 148

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 11:14:57 AM

The consensus of human can not be implemented at present, because the p2p consensus network is made up of many electrical machines, but human is not electrical, so if we want implement human POW consensus in the future, we need change the network communication architecture to human-network first, but How do people communicate with each other without relying on electricity??

Btw, maybe we can achieve a point-to-point consensus network that relies on talking through our mouth.
Anonymous Kid (OP)

Activity: 183
Merit: 25

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 02:54:26 PM

Too bad it also resists human mining :-(

Challenge: give me one NP complete problem for which we can randomly generate instances of any desired difficulty and which humans can solve better than computers.

interested as well
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 04:17:47 PM

Additional challenge: how to compensate for the time zone dependence of human hashing power?
monsterer2

Activity: 351
Merit: 134

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 04:24:09 PM

Additional challenge: how to compensate for the time zone dependence of human hashing power?

You're suggesting timezones exist in which no human would be mining... or at least the man power rate would vary too much depending on timezone?

I'm not totally sure about that. For example, in traditional gold mining, crews will run 24/7 with a day shift and a night shift. It's fair to say the same thing would happen here, as its a similar, for profit enterprise.
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 10:32:18 PM

or at least the man power rate would vary too much depending on timezone?
Yes, that one. The distribution of people poor enough to be willing to do such boring work is bound to be rather non-uniform across timezones.

crews will run 24/7 with a day shift and a night shift. It's fair to say the same thing would happen here, as its a similar, for profit enterprise.
I guess the poorest of the poor would be willing to sacrifice night-time sleep for such work, but others would not go that far.

Anyway, I just realized that this need not be a problem as long as difficulty adjustment happens on the scale of an hour at most.
rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 05:28:15 PM

What about https://www.elrond.network/  ?
Snakerist

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 01:59:17 PM

I agree that DAG based consensus is very interesting and fair. All it needs now is more scalability. Byteball also uses DAG and all works fine.

rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
November 29, 2018, 04:24:43 PM

Looks like a promising project. When mainnet?

In few months: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4430681.0
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: